Fed up with spots on my chin...suggestions?

Options
I'm way too old for teenage acne, but I am particularly prone to breakouts on my chin. They tend to flare up in relation to my monthly cycle, but I had that 10 days ago and today they are even worse than they were then! I'd love to know how to keep them at bay.

Replies

• lexington87
    lexington87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found I had flare ups on my chin and back when I changed my diet- my naturopath said it was due to the body "cleaning itself" of the junk I had been feeding it. When she said it I looked at her like she had 3 heads but since I've stuck to a cleaner diet and no dairy it has cleared up. The only other thing I used was basic dove bar soap
  • janereno
    janereno Posts: 4
    Options
    Definitely stay away from chocolate. It clogs your pores.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Best solution I've found so far is using Cetaphil combined with a moisturizer with salicylic acid (I use Target's Up and Up brand and it works well and half the price of some others). I wash with Cetaphil and then when my face is completely dry, I put on the moisturizer. I do in the mornings and evenings.
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Breakouts around the chin and jaw are hormonal most of the time, so a lot of the times people can't get rid of those breakouts without seeing to the hormonal imbalance first. That's why women often see a breakout around that area when they have their period. Do you have a good skincare routine in place? That will help, but like I say if it's a hormonal problem you may need something else. If you aren't on birth control, going on it could help. If you are on it, switching could help.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Some people (like myself) break out wherever and whenever they spend time touching their skin. Do you spend time resting your chin on your hand? I discovered in school that when I was resting my hand on my cheek, that cheek would break out a few days later, no matter how carefully I washed and cleaned daily.

Also, harsh scrubbing often inflames the area and makes it worse, so use only the gentlest method of cleaning.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    Tea Tree Oil works great as an overnight spot treatment....it works! I use it as an overall prevention treatment.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Cut out wheat, period. I have a very good friend that had horrible acne even in his 30s, and after switching to a Paleo diet with no wheat or grains it has COMPLETLY gone away, not even a single pimple in a year, and this a guy that was breaking out with oozing acne 99% of the year.

Several things that will cause people to have adverse hormonal reactions that can be eliminated to clear this up forever are:

Wheat and other grains
    Soy
    Sugar
    Dairy (for some people)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    How clean is your phone? Clean it regularily. It helps honest. I prefer products that contain salycic acid. and keep your hands off your face as much as possible
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Breakouts around the chin and jaw are hormonal most of the time, so a lot of the times people can't get rid of those breakouts without seeing to the hormonal imbalance first. That's why women often see a breakout around that area when they have their period. Do you have a good skincare routine in place? That will help, but like I say if it's a hormonal problem you may need something else. If you aren't on birth control, going on it could help. If you are on it, switching could help.

^^ I agree
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I cleared up my skin by cutting out dairy.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay away from chocolate. It clogs your pores.

Only if you rub it on your skin.

Do you spend a lot of time using a telephone handset or headset with a microphone that brushes your face? Or cradling your chin in your hand? Clean the phone/headset regularly (it's scary how dirty they get) and stop cradling your chin.

What makeup do you use? My skin improved when I switched to mineral makeup and again when I went to expen$ive stuff....

I've also had success with Dove.
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stop eating EVERYTHING that contains refined SUGAR... and you will be amazed!!!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    tea tree oil
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Benzyl Peroxide right as they start coming out will clear them up quickly. Also salycilic acid (sp? -- like clearasil or something) right before you expect them (since they are tied to ToM) might also help. Overall good skin care will make life easier, too. I had HORRIBLE acne until I started using Mary Kay, and I still use it… It's not specific for acne but they have products like the above and good overall skin care and it WORKS. marykay.com will help you find out more.
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    I break out major badly, especially when it's that time off the month.
    Every day I moisturise and ex-foliate my face, then add toner. Works a treat :)
  • jozkny
    jozkny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem and I had good skin when I was young. I tried EVERY product out there... My doctor finally said that it was not from clogged pores (they looked like pimples, but it was a clear sticky substance) they were related to an imbalance in my insulin levels/blood sugar. Diet does effect this. Since I have tried to stay away from refined sugars and gluten, it got better. (I also tend to pick at every little spot so I made it much worse! I thought about duct-taping my hands to my sides cuz then I cant pick my face AND I cant eat bad stuff!! Ill let you know how that turns out... LOL)
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Right, I have cut out all processed foods and especially sugar. I had salad with my lunch and my dinner! I have been home all day, so no make-up, and I have cleansed my chin about six times to dry it out a bit. I'm not on the pill, and won't use it, so my hormones will have to carry on doing their own thing!

Hope I will see some progress by the end of next week when my lovely man comes back from his trip...I feel like I don't want to use Skype to talk to him because of the state of my chin!