Splurge days

Options
How many are strict eaters but allow them selves 1 day to splurge? I find that if I have a splurge day (ie: A slice of pizza or a plate of pasta or a slice of cake etc.) once a week, that I lose weight better. Anyone else do this or am I just weird?

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people do this. I try hard to keep everything within my calorie limits, but I don't always succeed. Right now I'm zig-zagging calories, so some days I eat more, some days a little less, but my weekly average is the same. This helps because I tend to eat out on Fridays, so I have extra calories for that day. I also incorporate "bad" foods into my regular diet so I don't feel deprived most of the time
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Monday was by 21st birthday and it was my first splurge day in 6 months. Let me say that i felt ****ty and Its been hard to get back on track. I dont think ill be doing that again anytime soon. I do higher calorie days but I always stay under.
  • ariana1990
    ariana1990 Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to think that splurging was the answer to all of my problems but I've learned that I, personally, need to splurge CORRECTLY.

Instead of picking one day to go nuts and make myself feel like crap, I calculate my indulgences. When I shop at the grocery store I buy all of my fruits and vegetables and then I pick one "splurge" item that I will slowly consume over the period of one week. Today it was chips and guacamole. I eat just a handful each day so that I'm satiated continuously rather than just once a week. At the end of the week I'll be sick of chips and guac and I'll move on to the next treat. It's better for me because I have major control issues so having a cheat day is dangerous - I tend to go bananas and eat everything I can. Now that I do things this way it's much easier for me to practice self control and portion management at the same time!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Some people do, some don't. If it's working for you, it doesn't matter if it's "weird", just keep doing it!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I find that when I splurge I feel like crap. And a lot of the "bad" food that I used to enjoy just doesn't taste as good any more. I guess that is a good thing!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for calling it splurging, rather than binging, like so many twits do anymore.
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week to keep me sane. I try to keep it to one meal and one treat/dessert, but sometimes I have a few things. I still watch my portions.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't need a splurge day. Others do.

If I want to eat a slice of pizza or pasta or ice cream, I'll just eat it if I can fit into my macros for the day. The easiest time to do it would be earlier in the day when I have a lot of wiggle room. If it's later in the day, I won't bother. If it's a special occasion, I'll estimate the portions of what I might be eating at that meal and tailor the rest of my meals to fit. If I go over by a few hundred, no big deal. Not everyday is a special occasion.
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i don't really have "splurge days" ... i just eat whatever i want and try to keep it within calorie limits, but generally i try to keep healthy... but i'm making a lifestyle change, if i deprive myself of what i want, i'm more likely not to keep up with it.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are planned spike days that many people do, which is purposeful so that the body does not establish a homeostatis over time, which means that your metabolism decreases to adjust to the consistent lower calories. The body will adjust to anything to adapt. By upping your calories intermittently (most do it ever 7-10 days), you are fooling the body to prevent homeostasis and continue the metabolism from dropping. It also serves the purpose (for some) to endulge on what you want to say motivated. The problem is that some people cannot just limit themselves to one day and keep going, or they go overboard when they do spike thier calories rather than keeping it reasonable. The goal is to have it become something planned and purposeful, so that you are still in a deficit for the week, rather than calculating it daily. I personally do not eat my exercise calories, then eat that excess on Saturdays because it is when we go out to eat, but I still stay within my calorie allotment for the week.
  • threedaysfromyou
    Options
    I do it, but not weekly. I save my splurges for parties or dining out, where I may not have much control over the menu, or will want a few drinks, or won't feel like running the tally in my head all night.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't have splurge days. I eat whatever I want, and just try to stay within my calorie limit. Either way you'll still lose the weight.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I can't do them...a splurge day turns into a splurge week for me. I lose all control unfortunately. Maybe when I get further along in my journey, but for now once I taste all the bad stuff I fall back into my old habits and cannot get out in just one day.