Sushi calorie question, includes appetising pic

Options
Hi All,

I had some sushi for lunch (alot, I'd just walked 6 miles) but I'm having trouble working out the calories. Partly because I don't know what some of the items are called, in particular the three egg wrapped sweet rice filled ones in the middle of the picture, and also because the I'm unsure of the size of the individual sushi servings listed on MFP compared to what I had.

So I was hoping someone could have a look and give me a fairly accurate estimate.

Also to help you identify stuff 3 of them were tuna, 2 California roll, 2 avocado, 2 fired chicken and those three sugary ones in the middle - these are wrapped in thin egg omelet and full of rice. All for £3.80 which is exceptional value for Central London - from a very nice sushi restaurant tucked away down an alley feet away from the rubbish chain restaurants that have popped up everywhere.

20120523_144120.jpg

Cheers

Ben

Replies

• katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    20120523_144120.jpg[img][/img]
  • Amanda_Grace25
    Options
    I don't know about the calories but it looks delicious!!!!!!!!
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    the ones with avocado look like a california roll...besides that, no clue
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    I'd guess that;'s gotta be 150 grams of rice. So that 40-50 grams of carbs and 200 calories.

I'd guess another 200 calories for the fish, and no carbs.

There's almost certainly the odd teaspoon (say 10 of 20 grams) if sugar in all the odds and ends they include, so that's say 50 cals, 10 grams of carbs.

To take a wild guess I'd say about 50-60 grams of carbs and about 400 calories???
  • bakatare2k
    bakatare2k Posts: 17
    Options
    Three in the middle are called inari.and can tell the cali roll but cannot distinguish what type of filling is in the others.

Went to yoshinos site it looked like the inari was nijin inari (carrot inari)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/inari
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    those 3 things in the middle are all fried that thing is alot more then 400 cals. a sushi roll alone is 6-9 pieces and ranges anywhere between 350-600 calories..
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    The sushi alone is probably 600 calories. They look like they have a spicy mayo or some sort of dressing on it. It also has more rice than the average freshly made roll. I'm not sure about the other things
  • benandrewking
    benandrewking Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I logged it as 30 pieces of California roll assuming MTP was referring to small rolls and that I'd essentially had 15 large rolls. That came to 750 which was a bit of guess hence the request for an accurate estimate.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Actually the things in the middle are inari and the shell is fried bean curd (tofu), not egg. Usually the shell alone is about 50-60 calories. I would count each piece as 100.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yup, those things in the middle have fried tofu skins, not egg. The thing to be careful of when looking up sushi calories is that different rolls have different names in different countries. For example, a California roll in the US refers to crab stick plus a bunch of other things. A California roll in Israel usually refers to a salmon avocado roll.

Also, I'd like to hear other people's sushi calorie ideas, since I eat a lot of sushi. :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I need to check out that restaurant. Where abouts in Central London? :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Wow that looks so yummy, I must now have sushi today. You'd get about half of that in one of the larger M&S for about 360 calories.
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could ask the restaurant, not for a complete nutritional breakdown obviously, but the chef's estimate of ingredients and quantities. If you're planning on using the restaurant regularly this would definitely be worth the trouble. They might be happy to email the details to you, which would be even better.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I'd like to know where I can find the restaurant too! x
  • Methinksabout
    Methinksabout Posts: 153
    Options
    I'd like to know where that restaurant is please!
    I usually go to itsu as they put the calories et al on the package/homepage.. Shame that those proper restaurants don't do that..
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Inari ... Nom nom nom.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
  • benandrewking
    benandrewking Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I should’ve put a link to the restaurant, but assumed everyone on here lived in the States - silly really thinking about it.

Their website - http://www.yoshino.net/ - is woeful and confusing and no indication of how good the place is. They have two locations. The restaurant is at 3 Piccadilly Place, London W1J 0DB – a tiny little blink-and-you-miss it alley off Piccadilly. It looks very posh and a little unwelcoming but while it is primarily a restaurant and a very nice one they also have a small delicatessen counter for takeaway and very helpful staff. It’s all excellent value – 8 large rolls for £2 – and amazing quality.

They also have a deli outlet on 59 Shaftesbury Avenue London W1D 6LF. I think the prices are the same but not certain. Also top tip towards the end of the day, about 7 ish I think, they often have it all at a knocked down prices.

For a bit of background I think Yoshino used to make sushi for/run the deli counter at the old Japanese Centre restaurant and supermarket that used to be on Piccadilly. But the Japanese Centre moved round the corner to bigger flasher premises and whacked their prices through the roof.

In terms of the calroie thing, I doubt the chefs know and I'm not sure how well they speak English to have a complicated discussion about calories,weights and measures so I might buy a pack dinner and weight it. I'm sure the contents is very similar to the stuff listed on MTP.

Enjoy!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ All the answers you seek are right here : http://thecaloriecounter.net/calories-in-sushi/

Also .. people have a huge misconception of " calories " in Sushi ! It can be a very healthy meal ! I eat Sushi a " few " times a week ... I will say " few " .... but those who know me, know better ! LOL !

When I eat the Avocado Roll ( 12 pieces ) min rice wrapped in seaweed ... it is 280 cal, 56 carbs, 11 fat and 4 protein

My California App is 4 pieces @ 128 cal, 19 carbs, 4 fat and 5 protein

The idea is to stay away from " tempura " ( anything fried ) ... say no to the cream cheese or cream sauces ... white rice can be substituted for brown rice ...

Nigiri ( raw fish, egg or meat ... topped on rice ) is a very healthy selection. The protein in raw fish, especially Salmon is just incredible. If your concerned about the calories and carbs in the rice ... cut it in half or eliminate it all together !

Now with all that being said ... Next time pass on the " platter " and hand select the best choices !

And yes ... I will be having Sushi for lunch ! YUMMY ! :tongue:

PS ... Even that Cali Roll you have isn't a good choice .. looks like shredded crab with mayo ! Stay with the whole pieces of one ingredient foods / choices ! Just experiment with some healthier options ... Sushi is just ... PERFECT ... if selected right ! :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Screw the calories! Enjoy it because I would!