2»

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love Pita Pit, and Subway is another option. Applebee's has some good choices that are low cal.
  • Natalie410
    Natalie410 Posts: 12
    Options
    that is a good book
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I have found that no matter where you go, most restaurants offer the option of ordering "ala carte". I like doing this because it often ends up cheaper and I don't end up with crap. My go to choices are a grilled salmon or grilled chicken breast with no sauce or butter, steamed veggies with no sauce or butter, and a side salad with oil and vinegar on the side. If they have a healthy starch option such as baked sweet potato or a nice brown rice option, I will sometimes do that.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I do Chipotle bowls, no sour cream or cheese and light on the rice. I also like Panda Express where I choose two low cal entree items (they are all labelled with calories, I usually get green bean chicken and broccoli beef) with veggies instead of rice. It weighs about 3 tons and is less than 500 calories. Subway is also good, you can make any sub a salad if you're watching the bread. I also like Mongolian barbecues then build my bowl with no noodles in it.

Keeping a black book is a great idea since you really can't go based on how healthy something sounds based on menu description.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I have found that no matter where you go, most restaurants offer the option of ordering "ala carte". I like doing this because it often ends up cheaper and I don't end up with crap. My go to choices are a grilled salmon or grilled chicken breast with no sauce or butter, steamed veggies with no sauce or butter, and a side salad with oil and vinegar on the side. If they have a healthy starch option such as baked sweet potato or a nice brown rice option, I will sometimes do that.

This is a great idea, I'd only recommend ask the restaurant first if you can order them ala carte at a lower price. My friend and I went to Tahoe Joe's and only ordered salads with two veggie sides and split a baked potato and it was over $70.....they just charged us full for everything then removed what we didn't want.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have a folder in my computer with all the nutrition info for the restaurants i eat at regularly..you can do that, and then make a list of healthy stuff..i have a mini notebook with all the healthier stuff in the notebook that i took from the nutrition info (if that makes sense) good luck:flowerforyou:
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Pita Pit, Seafood Round Table Veggie Pizza ☺
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot, too, but I hardly ever order salads when I'm at restaurants because they tend to pack on more junk and can have more calories than a burger and french fries in some cases.

Chilis - Great lighter choice menu - I usually get the sirloin with a side of broccoli (260 calories) or the lime grilled shrimp (ask for grilled instead of fried) and substitute veggies for french fries.

Olive Garden - Mediterranean chicken or shrimp capriese or the stuffed chicken marsala. I usually will have a breadstick and some salad with the dressing on the side. Occasionally, I'll order the chicken alfredo cuz it's so good and just eat a portion of it and save the rest for later. I usually plan ahead to budget that into my calories for the day.

Boston Market - I love their food. You can get a half order of the chicken salad (360 calories) and just use the dressing sparingly. Or you can order an individual meal with turkey breast (or whatever meat option you want) with the steamed vegetables.

Chick-Fil-A - I like to order the 8 piece chicken nuggets and a side salad with the berry balsamic dressing. The chicken nuggets are 260 I think and the salad is 70, the dressing is also 70 for a tablespoon but I don't use that much.

Panda Express - There are tons of options here to pick from. I usually just order the individual items of either beef and broccoli or one of the chicken and veggie items. I try to skip the sides there but if I have enough calories, I'll go for the chow mien. Just watch the sodium levels though.

Wendys - I like to get the small chili and sometimes a baked potato.

McDonalds - I don't eat there very often but if I do, I get a kids meal.

Outback Steakhouse - If I'm eating out with someone, then I'll do an add on of king crab and then also a side of steamed veggies (no butter) and I love their house salads, so I get that too.

Mexican food - Rolled tacos (taquitos) are not all that bad calories wise. I think 5 rolled tacos with guacamole and cheese is around 460 calories. Or I get the shrimp fajitas and just eat it without the tortillas. I tend to skip the rice and beans.