Could someone explain to me...

Options
slepygrl
slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
Hey Ya'll!

Can someone explain to me why I would use a HRM? I have one. I have never used it. The machines tell me my heart rate.

Thank you!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If the HRM has a chest strap, it will be more accurate than the exercise machine you are using.

Edited to add: depending on brand and model, it will also tell you calories burned, your "zone", time, etc.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know I'm working hard when I work out. I don't need a HRM to tell me that. I know I sound dumber then a box of rocks, but I still don't see the point.
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you're doing exercises that don't involve a machine, then a heart rate monitor will be useful. Plus a HRM allows you to save your results and keep running totals. And as the other poster mentioned, those with the chest strap are a lot more accurate. Again may not be a big deal, but some people workout to reach certain zones and keep track of that stuff..
  • lolabadola
    lolabadola Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wear one to accurately track my weekly calorie burn, but also because I like monitoring where my heart rate is throughout my workouts, particularly when I'm not on a machine (and the machines aren't accurate anyway). Sometimes it feels like I'm working out harder than I am, so when I look at my heart rate I know exactly where I'm at and if I need to push myself a little further or not. It's just fun keeping track!