To all my lovely young ladies...

I just feel the need to reach out. I'm a 22 year old female who is sooo sick of being overweight. I've been on diets since I was 10, weight watchers, jen c, southbeach, atkins, nothing but grape fruit and water... you name it. I realized that It's not what you eat for a week on a crazy diet that determines how much you weigh, but what you eat from day to day over long periods of time. I have overweight parents and I've watched their weight cast a shadow on their lives. I don't want to still be struggling with my weight in my 50's. I don't want to pass up one more opportunity because I'm uncomfortable with my body. It sucks... I'm 22... I want to enjoy this time, not look back on it with regrets. I'm starting a new journey today, if you can relate in any way please let me know. I would love to hear about it.

Replies

• folgersinyourcup
    folgersinyourcup Posts: 11 Member
    Losing weight is incredibly frustrating! But motivation to start is where it...well, starts haha I'm 22 also am tired of constantly saying and starting and never going through with my diet/work regiment. I went so far as to call weight watchers and jenny craig and their prices made me want to vomit, so fittnesspal is where it's at! :D

If you ever need support (goodness knows I need it too lol) feel free to contact me :)
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for the response! Will hit you up if things get tough.
  • Hello ladies!

I too am 22 years old and started my journey today....i can definetly relate to your story. Coming from an itialian background, no such thing as a diet exists in the traditional family household!!! I have struggled with being overweight since I was a child and have experienced a constant rollercoaster of gaining and loosing weight over the years. I struggle with a pear shaped figure, smaller waist, bigger thighs and find it extremely difficult to get rid off! I love my curves but I believe I can be better! Any one have any suggestions in regards to exercises?

As well, I believe motivation is #1 sooo let support one another throughout this process! Day 1, Let the Challenge Begin!

Good Luck Ladies!
  • Losing weight totally sucks but I can totally relate to your story. I am 28 and have tried it all. My siblings all have issues with weight as has my mother. We have tried it all. One day I decided enough was enough, I read about the importance of a food journal and that seemed easy enough. I started using MFP and realized it is crucial for me to track what I eat. I never think about how many calories are in this when I eat them, so far I am down 40lbs but there is still a long way to go for me. I wish you all luck on your journeys!
  • autumnbottom8
    autumnbottom8 Posts: 74 Member
    I hear you girl! I'm also 22, have overweight parents and family members, been on every diet possible, had an eating disorder, body image issues, among other issues. Everytime I dieted I always got scared of slipping back into my eating disorder, or figured I've worked hard, I can afford a few slip ups, etc. Its hard but you can do it and MFP is a great way to get support, tips, and break the old habits!
    I started my journey last May at 274, lost about 20 pounds, then fell off the wagon when traveling for work got busy. I went wedding dress shopping in November and realized I needed a change. The Monday after Thanksgiving I was at 261 and now I'm at 212, total lost, 61 pounds. It's been a long road, and I'm hoping to lose another 40 (or more). I completely thank MFP for helping me along the way, and I'm looking forward to the road ahead!
    Please know we're all here for you and rooting for you!!
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Ladies, you can all do this! Just remember to count the calories, weigh and measure your portions and plan your meals in advance. I find it fun to do those things. Speaking of planning, I have to do my meals for tomorrow.
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Wow, thank you! So inspiring! I really appreciate the support.
  • Mpope425
    Mpope425 Posts: 3
    Oh my, I totally relate. Do something now before your metabolism works against you. You are at the prime of your life. Work and then throw the world aside and live at the gym. Do this for yourself before you are tied down with the obligations that come at you so fast. This is our time, take it!
  • jjh5351
    jjh5351 Posts: 27
    I'm in the same position! Lost over 30 pounds on Weight Watchers then I just stopped doing it around the holidays because school got really busy, life got really busy, etc. I joined MFP and have been on and off of being really disciplined for several months. I think I've gained back a lot but I'm really nervous to step on the scale, I just don't want to see that all of my hard work went down the drain! I'm looking fora support system around here because I've just moved to a new city 12 hours away from home with my fiance and I see no better motivation to work out since I have so much time. I'm getting married in October, so I really want to be close to goal by then! Good luck everyone :)