{{{{CHILLS}}}}} during and after cardio???????

Options
Has anyone else gotten chills while doing zumba and after? Is that normal? Am I overheated? Or am I getting sick?

Replies

• momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I got chills yesterday after doing a bodyrock workout and then doing 1 mile run right after. Never did before, but I sweated and exerted myself a lot more than I usually do.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes... I think its just the adrenaline rush??
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always get the chills when I am working super hard. I was actually just commenting on it today. I doubt it's anything serious. Hmm..maybe I should google it just in case ;)
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh thank atheismo, I'm not the only one. I dont get fever like chills but my ears always get that cold tingly feeling, sometimes my finger too. I just turn the space heater on for short blasts (less than a minute) It's happened to me since I was little though when ever I get my heart really going.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I get it after I stop, but I think its a cold chill from being wet and sweaty.
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always get the chills when I am working super hard. I was actually just commenting on it today. I doubt it's anything serious. Hmm..maybe I should google it just in case ;)

Well, I guess it does mean you are overheated. Thanks google! So, make sure you drink lots of water, and if dizziness or anything accompanies it, stop. I do notice that if I take a break for a minute when they start, they go away pretty quick. For me, the problem is that I am so busy doing the work, I don't really have time to take water breaks.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you mean chills as in a cold sweat (not to be confused with sweating from a workout or being cool from sweating due to a workout, they are different), it could be a sign of low blood sugar. If it is low blood sugar, a quick sugar boost like some juice will help reverse the effects. :)

I also sometimes experience a cold sweat while working out from oxygen shortage due to my asthma.

Edit: I just wanted to emphasize that cold sweats and sweating are different. I assume that being overly cooled by your sweat post workout (e.g. perhaps you have air conditioning and it becomes too cold after you are done) combined with muscle fatigue could result in chills. In that case, I would suggest immediately changing out of ALL workout clothes and hopping in a hot shower/bath. :)
  • zizam
    zizam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this is normal. I got chills sometimes when I keep jogging and pushing myself harder...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every time about 15 - 20 mins after my run.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I can get suddenly very cold after cardio, especially if I don't cool down properly. It happens the most if I sit down for a period of time after a long cardio session.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This happened to me all during the 30 day shred... and as far as I know it is because your body spent all that time you were working out trying to quickly dump all that extra heat and then it kept going for a bit longer while it caught up with the fact that you were no longer working out.... nothing a few mins longer in the hot shower won't cure!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've had that during long bouts of exercise before (100 mile bike rides and such), or when the gym was just generally cold. It can be a sign of heat exhaustion, but if you haven't had it before, you'll just have to wait and see whether you're getting sick or not!
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread on this a little while back. I would just -freeze- after my workouts, and I was told that it was because I was dehydrated. Maybe drink some more water during the workout?
  • pattilupo1
    Options
    Heat exhaustion is the reason for the chills during a workout or physical exertion. The body is essentially doing the same thing it does when you have a fever - it's trying to cool the core temp down. Heat cramps are typically the first symptoms of injury from excessive heat. Then follows heat exhaustion and then heat stroke (the most dangerous).
    Check out Livestrong.com
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/477524-getting-chills-while-running/
    ....and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
  • andreapelzel
    Options
    This happened to me during a difficult warm room yoga class. It happened to me once before. I thought it was beginning of heat stroke, however, it is dehydration. see the following short article... http://woman.thenest.com/getting-chills-during-cardio-workout-10428.html