Eating Back the Calories You Burned...

Options
Hey! I'm new on here and was wondering...should you definitely consume the calories you burn each day in a workout? What if you only eat some of them? I know it says you should consume your allotted amount each day, but sometimes it seems like a lot--and counter-productive. Wondering if I didn't eat them all would I lose weight faster each week or would it slow my metabolism? Just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• wandering1
    wandering1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I will classify my reply by saying I am not an expert.

That being said, I did lose weight with weight watchers a few years ago. With their program it doesn't matter how much exercise you do (for the average person - they do clarify that the rules are different if you are a nursing mother or training for a marathon), you are only allowed a limited number of points (calories) for exercise/activity each day; usually between 100-150 calories per day.

I was encountering the same issue with eating all of my MFP exercise calories per day, and finding that it was counter-productive. I experimented with limiting my extra exercise calories consumed to 100-150 calories per day, and have found success with this way of doing things.

Again, this may not work for everyone, but it is what has worked for me.

Good luck!!

Wendy
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For me, I could not go over a 300 deficit or I would not lose. It is my understanding it partially depends on what you have to lose. I only had 10 lbs. granted on my long run days I would need to eat 2600-2800 which is insane. I will save some of the calories for a cushion on my rest day. It seems to work well for me. I hav not gained... I am actually 4 lbs under my goal weight.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I will classify my reply by saying I am not an expert.

That being said, I did lose weight with weight watchers a few years ago. With their program it doesn't matter how much exercise you do (for the average person - they do clarify that the rules are different if you are a nursing mother or training for a marathon), you are only allowed a limited number of points (calories) for exercise/activity each day; usually between 100-150 calories per day.

I was encountering the same issue with eating all of my MFP exercise calories per day, and finding that it was counter-productive. I experimented with limiting my extra exercise calories consumed to 100-150 calories per day, and have found success with this way of doing things.

Again, this may not work for everyone, but it is what has worked for me.

Good luck!!

Wendy
    150 calories a day?? If u burn 900 cals and ur net is way below 1200 I would suggest eating more back
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    U need to make sure ur eating the right amount for ur age, weight height. I'm 22 5'1, 120lbs I eat 1500cals a day eating all my exercise cals back. I lose weight. It's not the sane for everyone but just make sure ur not under eating
  • rob021880
    rob021880 Posts: 28
    Options
    from my own experience... i haven't been eating them back, like you i think it would be too much/counter productive... i started about 3 weeks ago and try my hardest to stick to my 1200/per day and have felt no negative effects in doing so...
  • HipsBreastsandMore
    HipsBreastsandMore Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm new on here and was wondering...should you definitely consume the calories you burn each day in a workout? What if you only eat some of them? I know it says you should consume your allotted amount each day, but sometimes it seems like a lot--and counter-productive. Wondering if I didn't eat them all would I lose weight faster each week or would it slow my metabolism? Just curious. Thanks!

It's best that you eat back half of the calories you burned. For instance, say if you are on a 1500 cal a day and you burned about 600 that leaves you with 900 to eat...now we all know we ain't going to eat a full 900, so what I do is eat about 350 to 400 for those during dinner. That leaves you with 500 left to eat. If you are still feeling hungry once you get to those 500 left over, eat a small snack or a small meal.

I usually eat 1200 a day. I know for my weight I need to eat more, but my body is set on not eating so much because if I eat more than my stomach can take, I will throw it back up and that would be a waste of time cooking.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back about 50% of them, not because I think I should, but because I'm hungrier when I exercise. I think some of it has to do with how much weight a person has to lose. I needed to lose 15 lbs, so staying between 1200-1400 worked for me even with exercise.

Someone who has a lot more to lose, or ate a few thousand a day before beginning their program probably would have a harder time netting below 1200 cals a day.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am doing my best, but I cannot seem to do it. I can only eat about 1500-1800 calories a day unless I eat junk. According to my fitbit, I have burned 700+ calories in exercise...but I cannot eat anymore. My body will just have to deal with netting just under 800 for the day!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I happily eat 85-90% of my exercise calories back (I wear my Polar FT60 Heart rate monitor to get a more accurate calories burned) I am currently eating 3200 calories a day and my deficit is set to lose 1/2 lb. a week.... I am a firm believer in fueling my body for the workouts that I do... Having to large of a deficit overtime will screw up your metabolism. From the beginning I kept my weightloss at a modest 1 to 2 lbs. a week and have only recently tighten it up do to being close to the end of my weightloss.... Best of Luck....
  • jen9506
    jen9506 Posts: 14
    Options
    I say no. I prefer to stay at a calorie count that will help me lose weight slowly, even if I don't exercise. Then, my daily exercise is a "bonus." I think that eating your activity calories gets you into that dangerous mindset where "I exercised, now I can splurge!"
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
  • dawnfromia
    dawnfromia Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow! I am very impessed by your weight loss! Great job!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    There are several different approaches to this and the question has been asked and answered at least a zillion times on here. To get the best info and broadest answers, I'd suggest searching the forums.

Good luck to you!
    All the best,
    Jen
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I happily eat 85-90% of my exercise calories back (I wear my Polar FT60 Heart rate monitor to get a more accurate calories burned) I am currently eating 3200 calories a day and my deficit is set to lose 1/2 lb. a week.... I am a firm believer in fueling my body for the workouts that I do... Having to large of a deficit overtime will screw up your metabolism. From the beginning I kept my weightloss at a modest 1 to 2 lbs. a week and have only recently tighten it up do to being close to the end of my weightloss.... Best of Luck....

This.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing weight when I didn't eat them back..... now I try to get at least 1200 net and I started losing weight again. I have stuck with that.... sometimes I eat most of them back, sometimes only enough to get to 1200. It's working, I have lost 15 lbs since I started doing that.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    from my own experience... i haven't been eating them back, like you i think it would be too much/counter productive... i started about 3 weeks ago and try my hardest to stick to my 1200/per day and have felt no negative effects in doing so...

You look like a bulky man. You should be eating WAY more than 1200 calories per day.
  • littlecesar
    littlecesar Posts: 33
    Options
    I was wondering that too!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Depends whether your daily calorie allowance is based on your activity level or not. If you're set to moderate (working out 1-3 times weekly or whatever) and you're living by what you've set, then you shouldn't even log calories for exercising and therefore not eat extra. If, you're like me, however, and you set your activity to sedentary so you COULD log activity and eat for that day to day, then, yes. Bear in mind that all measuring of exercise calories is estimation at best.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    for me personally...

I make sure I never eat less than my BMR. So, if after exercise I net UNDER my BMR I will eat them back.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    MFPs calculations are meant for you to eat your exercise calories back. If you have a huge burn day, 750+ burned, then know your BMR and try to net at least that much.

@cristaine You beat me to it!