ChaLEAN, Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire or etc.?>boggled<

Options
terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
I am interested in getting some fitness dvd's for when i need to workout in more air conditioned times but I dont have the $$ to get them all so I'm coming to MFP to get your thoughts on some of the ones I mentioned in my subject title. Why do you like/dislike it? real time results?

FWIW I'm in my mid - 40's and 256lbs and walking as been the basis of my exercise and I'm ready to step it up now. Next week I plan to start weight lifting and would like to do cardio on alternate days

Thank you in advance:)

Fiona

Replies

• terraskye
    Options
    bump
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've done both Chalean and Turbo Jam - both excellent, but very different.

For Chalean you need a range of weights - and heavy ones at that. You'll be amazed how quickly you get strong. Its focused on weight training, but there are cardio vids too. Personally my fav, and a good all round programme.

Turbo Jam - I got this because Turbo fire looked too hard and someone recommended it as an intro programme. Its lots of fun, very cardio based and I get a fab workout. Never followed it all the way to the end though - instead I tend to mix it in with Chalean.

I think the one you get depends on what you enjoy and what you want to achieve. But you cannot go wrong with any of these!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Turbo Jam, its great if you are staring off at a low level of endurance, I see you have 100lbs to go. It includes bothh cardio and very light resistance
  • terraskye
    Options
    Thank you both. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Turbo Jam set on my next pay cheque
  • Jo2926
    Options
    You will not regret it!

There are a few beach body groups on here too which I highly recommend, such as this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1195-beach-bodies-by-beachbody-

Good luck!
  • terraskye
    Options
    Would P90X be too much for a beginner for actual fitness routines? Would i need any extra equipment?
  • Jo2926
    Options
    I think you need extra equipment for P90x - a pull up bar and dumbbells perhaps?

I think - but not 100% sure - that the programme is recommended for people already doing some exercise. I seem to recall seeing a friends book with a fitness test at the beginning that indicates a minimum required level.
  • twilightobession
    twilightobession Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am doing Beachbody's 10 Minute Trainer with Tony Horton. It is good. Each dvd is just ten minutes. I can do one, two or three in a day. I am thinking about getting Turbo Jam or ChaLEAN after I get through with TMT. I am not sure which one I want to get. I like the dancing/cardio in Turbo Jam but I also want to tone my muscles like ChaLEAN.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I just started Les Mills Pump and so far I love it. It's all weight training.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing ChaLEAN and love it, the mix of lifting and cardio is perfect, and I've been seeing some great results!
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    I LOVE Turbo Fire! I really have fun doing it (when I do it haha). I'm trying to get back into it. But when I was doing it regularly, I saw results very quickly. I was around your weight when I started it, and I can see a change in how much more I can do after only losing 12 ish pounds. I bought the whole thing (the dvds plus the extra ones, the resistance band, weighted gloves and another band). I had just been walking before starting as well. I do what I can and I don't push myself too far. The next time I am able to do more. Good luck to you!
  • stangirl1995
    stangirl1995 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started out with Turbo Jam a few years back and now I can knock out Turbo Fire! I would definately highly recommend Turbo Jam with the hopes to work your way into Turbo Fire :-)
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I understand the air conditioned exercise thing. Here in Tucson, AZ it is hard to get cardio during the summer months so I started doing Power 90. It alternates strength training and cardio every other day. I've been doing it 30 days now and I am pleased with my results.
    I'm trying to decide if I should do P90X when I finish this program or try something else. I'll be following this thread to hear the opinions.
  • angemarie23
    angemarie23 Posts: 55
    Options
    I started out with TurboFire and have lost 13 lbs. I love it! Unfortunately, I wasn't yet up to it physically. It's really intense if you're new to working out. TurboJam is similar but less intense and probably the better choice for beginners. I'm currently doing ChaLean Extreme and I love it but I do squeeze in some TurboFire in between as well because TurboFire is just so much fun and I get the biggest calorie burn from it.

Based on your stats I would say to start with ChaLean Extreme because it has both cardio AND weight training. Building muscle is going to help you get lean and increase your metabolism, which will burn more fat. TurboFire has a lot of jumping and can be hard on the joints if you're physically ready for it. ChaLean is a program that anyone can do...and will help you get to a level of fitness where you can jump and do high intensity interval training with ease.

What I'm doing now is ChaLean Extreme...but practicing TurboFire on the side so I can take it on full force after I complete ChaLean Extreme. The Learn & Burn disc from TurboJam is great for beginners in learning the moves for both TurboJam and TurboFire.

TurboFire does have some sculpting and toning mixed in as well. So if you think you're ready for that level of intensity and want something amazingly fun I would go with that one. :-) If you enjoy weight lifting and would like some cardio mixed in, ChaLean Extreme. :-) I'm doing all three!

Angie