I Love Potatoes....So Much

Options
2»

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I do w/potatoes.

Bake a potato in the oven or microwave until tender. While that is cooking, in a skillet w/non stick spray I put onions, bell peppers and chicken breast and cook. Then I top the potato with that. Or I will top it with steamed broccoli and fat free cheese. No butter needed.

Also, peel and cube a potatoe or two (depending on how many people you are feeding) drop it in a pan with boiling water, dried onion flakes and a boulion cube of preferred flavor. I know bulion has a lot of sodium but you could also get the low sodium broth and use that instead of water. Then once they are boiled either eat alone or with some steamed veggie and a protien. Just count the calories, same as you would any other dish.

I love my potatoes too much to give them up!

memaw
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    potatoes aren't the enemy, it's usually all the creamy cheesy crap we top them with. I serve potatoes about once per week, my family likes them roasted or mashed. I do not do gravy so instead to mash them I use non fat milk, plain yogurt and lots of garlic........mmmmmmm.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You can have potatoes. I do. I make a potato salad some nights- it's something I really enjoy. If I wanted a baked potato, I would have it...a little sour cream and a bit of shredded cheese. Mmm. I even have baked fries once in a while. Potatoes are good for you. You just have to be careful not to overdo it. :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you are a type O blood type this is 100% explainable. It means you crave the yeast and your body will turn yeast into fat. Yeast is in starch which is in potatoes. You will have to monitor it yourself with discipline. Pro-biotics are important for O blood types. Try to find a way to replace it with something else. Mix your potatoes with cauliflower. You have the taste of mashed potatoes but the value of veggi's. I hope this helps you out!

That's interesting. I have O- blood, and love potatoes. I'm usually too lazy to peel and cook them, so it works out OK for me. :wink: I've recently started taking probiotics regularly.
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are a type O blood type this is 100% explainable. It means you crave the yeast and your body will turn yeast into fat. Yeast is in starch which is in potatoes. You will have to monitor it yourself with discipline. Pro-biotics are important for O blood types. Try to find a way to replace it with something else. Mix your potatoes with cauliflower. You have the taste of mashed potatoes but the value of veggi's. I hope this helps you out!

That's interesting. I have O- blood, and love potatoes. I'm usually too lazy to peel and cook them, so it works out OK for me. :wink: I've recently started taking probiotics regularly.

Yes it is cool. It is not only potatoes it is breads, cheeses, crackers, oats, corn. Those types of things we are not the typical girls who crave chocolate or lots of sweets just more hardy types of foods. So we have to learn to limit those and change these things around and adjust them so we can eat them but we dont blow up like a balloon. Our body has a hard time disposing of the bad things instead our body collects it and turns it into fat! :sad: But with the right diet and right tools we can get it!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    All kinds, baked potatoes, french fries, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, au gratin, any potatoes you can think of I love them...but they arent very good for me :sad: any advice on how to keep losing weight but keep eating potatoes they are my weakness thanks so much

Yo, it's not the potatoes that are bad for you. It's the deep frying (french fries) cheese on them (au gratin) or chips. You get it? Eat your potatoes, just leave them out of the lard basin :laugh:

Seriously, check out the Irish people (no, I'm not Irish and am not promoting a nationality) they eat those things all the time and they are not fat, right? It's what we as Americans do to potatoes that makes them bad... Baked potato anyone? Oh sure, let me get that with butter, sour cream, bacon, cheese and um.. how about some chives, you know, to make it healthy :laugh:

Seriously though, they're fine for you, just don't screw them up with the bad crap.
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yo, it's not the potatoes that are bad for you. It's the deep frying (french fries) cheese on them (au gratin) or chips. You get it? Eat your potatoes, just leave them out of the lard basin :laugh:

Seriously, check out the Irish people (no, I'm not Irish and am not promoting a nationality) they eat those things all the time and they are not fat, right? It's what we as Americans do to potatoes that makes them bad... Baked potato anyone? Oh sure, let me get that with butter, sour cream, bacon, cheese and um.. how about some chives, you know, to make it healthy :laugh:

Seriously though, they're fine for you, just don't screw them up with the bad crap.
    [/quote]

I completely agree with you. It is the manner in which we eat it. Proportion and what you eat on top of it! This was a really good convo for everyone to have!
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    All kinds, baked potatoes, french fries, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, au gratin, any potatoes you can think of I love them...but they arent very good for me :sad: any advice on how to keep losing weight but keep eating potatoes they are my weakness thanks so much

Potatoes are the new egg it seems. Remember when they told everyone "eggs will kill you" then said "oh, our mistake, they aren't bad"? They recently did that with potatoes but I don't think the word got out that they weren't that bad. It's like Nitz said.. it's all the crap you add to them.

It's funny though, it seems the more the experts tell us don't eat this or that the more we screw up our diets.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Potatoes are not the enemy--the stuff added to them & the way their cooked is. So eat in moderation & find substitutes for extras & eat up!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I Love to add a warm potato to my garden salad and instead of dressing I add a teaspoon of mayo, Its is really good when the potato is warm. I got my son hooked on it. :laugh:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Potatoes are not the enemy--the stuff added to them & the way their cooked is. So eat in moderation & find substitutes for extras & eat up!

That sounds familiar :laugh: just saying :smile:
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    You and me both! I always say if I were stranded on a deserted island, one of the things I would want to have with me is an unlimited supply of potatoes! I never met a potato I didn't like!

When I make mashed potatoes, I use fat free milk and Parkay spray butter (it has no calories or fat), both in moderation, of course. For baked potatoes, I top them with fresh pico de gallo or some kind of salsa. Either way is yummy!

That is VERY interesting about the correlation between O blood types and potatoes. I am a potatoe JUNKIE and my blood type is O a well.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love the skin of the potato..I think that the skin has fiber that makes them healthier, so include that whenever you can.

I love putting a little vegetarian chilli and a sprinkle of low-fat cheese on a small baked potato. In fact, in the rare cases that I go to Wendy's that is what I get (except their chilli has meat in it, but so little it doesn't add too many calories).

And as a kid my mom would have "baked potato bar" night, and we would top the potato with lean deli meat, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and a little low-fat cheese (or light cheese whiz when times were tight). I remember it being delicious!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have never really liked potatoes. I don't like bread either. I just started eating sweet potatoes and love them.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I make these things called skillet smashed potatoes. I take a baby red potato and cook it in the microwave. Then I take the cooked potato and I smash it with a skillet until it is pretty flat. I then put it in the skillet and sprinkle it with garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley, along with a light spray of evoo. I warm the potato until it is kind of crispy on both sides, then eat! It is tasty, and it ensures that the whole potato is seasoned, which sometimes doesn't happen unless you smash it. :heart: Potato!
  • fatdesigner
    Options
    This thread made me craving potatoes and yes I am O type blood. LOL
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes like that so much better that i am used to it I do use the 0 cal 0 fat butter it is great for things like that. Especially when i cook a grilled cheese i am saiving 5 grams of fat in butter its great!!!
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    Options
    I love them too!

Here are my favorites:

slice them in 1/2 inch slices, drizzle with olive oil, and grill until cooked. then place on top of greens (optional: sliced onions) and top with a homemade balsamic dressing.

or microwave until cooked and smash. top with one egg and salsa.