Favorite workout sneakers?

Options
I'm getting ready to get some shoes strictly for working out, and I mostly do circuit training, and a lot of it is high impact stuff like BFBM and NMTZ and such. I'm on a budget though, so I can't spend just anything I want on shoes, so I'm looking for good recommendations :) Right now my ankles, feet, and knees are taking it pretty hard so I know I need new ones asap!

TIA for your help!

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance for running and Nike Frees for bootcamp/cross-training.

Sounds like you might want to go to a fitness store and get sized/fitted. If you're having issues, you might need more/less support.
  • PhotographyChick
    PhotographyChick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    well my current shoes are embarrassingly old, so I know that that's really the issue at hand. I do want to have someone help me when I go, but I'm looking to keep cost of shoes down but still get something good for me to use for working out.
  • PhotographyChick
    Options
    anyone else?
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    They aren't cheap, but I really like my Brooks. I had an ankle injury last summer and my Physical Therapist recommended the Brooks Adrenaline as an option to look into. They're around $100 at a running/shoe store, but sometimes cheaper online if you know which fit you need.
  • PhotographyChick
    Options
    Yeah, see $100 is out of my range. My husband just got a pair reebok realflex for only $80. I guess I'm looking for the best I can get at a low price, I'd love to have some of the great shoes out there, but it's just not feasible for us right now, but some of the lower end shoes I've tried are utter crap so I'm trying to see if anyone out there has had any good experiences with lower end fitness shoes. I can't go on in what I have now, they're *really* old. Ugh.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Completely understand, its really only recently that I've been at a point where I can afford them as well. I also figured that one pair of good shoes was cheaper for me than another $800 on PT.

I found the form my PT gave me, and he had also recommended New Balance, Mizuno and Saucony brands. I've had good experiences with the New Balance in the past, and they are better priced. If you live near an outlet mall or scan clearance areas in shoe stores, you might find a good pair. Check Amazon, too.

Good Luck with the hunt!
  • PhotographyChick
    Options
    Thanks, New Balance definitely seems to be one of the most recommended low end brands from the places I've asked for input. That and acics (is that how it's spelled?) although I don't really know much about the latter myself.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Nike Lunarswift +, I also have a pair of Nike Free 3 + that are great.
  • 1213shell
    1213shell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really recommend a fitting and quality shoes. I used to wear Asics but what I thought was the same shoe but newer model totally messed up my foot -- I now have an annoying neuroma. A fitting showed I was wearing the wrong size and Jeff fitted me in about 10 shoes of varying brands and price points. The initial outlay is more, yes, but treating/accomodating the neuroma is even more pricey. I'll buy the same shoes on ebay or overstock next time but, this time was worth the $$$$.
  • PhotographyChick
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've actually been looking at some Nike's in the $70 range, it's really the highest I can possibly imagine going, the ones I like the looks of the most are the Nike Free TR fit training shoe, obviously I'm going to go get sized, and try them on, but I do like what I read and see. The biggest deciding factor will be figuring out if they fit the way they should. I just hate that I feel like I'm paying for a name more than the materials... because lets face it, we all know it's true. *sigh* I just wish I had a money tree :laugh:
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Why not go for a fitting and just let them know your budget before they begin picking out shoes? They might have a pair on sale.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I got some Nike Frees 3.0 from ebay for a bargain and absolutely love them, they replaced my very old adidas ones. Most comfortable trainers i've ever worn, ran in them today.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Adidas Sambas...flat sole, thick = ideal for squats and deadlifts, calve exercises (unlike vibrams), good enough for treadmill.
    Extremely versatile shoe, it's not just a gym shoe and looks stylish and has a simple design (again sorry vibrams)
    About $65, I have two pairs + they are unisex just like most puma shoes
  • bellac1981
    bellac1981 Posts: 9
    Options
    I wear Asics that I got from jc penney for around 50 bux. I have had them for a while now and they are comfortable to work in and I have never had a problem with them hurting my feet. I do cardio such as elliptical and treadmill and aerobics in them.