Is it bad to eat less fat?

Options
So today I have reached about 50% of the recommended fat intake per MFP. I am currently at 23 grams. Is this bad? I know that people go on low fat diets all the time so would it hurt me to reduce my fat and my calories? At this point I am willing to try anything as I have been stuck for 2 months with no weight loss.

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    So today I have reached about 50% of the recommended fat intake per MFP. I am currently at 23 grams. Is this bad? I know that people go on low fat diets all the time so would it hurt me to reduce my fat and my calories? At this point I am willing to try anything as I have been stuck for 2 months with no weight loss.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Don't do that! Ever heard of essential fatty acids? Well, they're essential for a reason--your body can't make them itsself, and they keep you alive. Fat is used in immune response, hormone production, vitamin absorption, as the outer layer of your cells, and in your brain matter. You REALLY don't want to cut fats lower than 20% of your calories. Fat does *not* make you fat, only overeating does. If you have to cut back on something, drop carbohydrates and increase protein, as MFP overestimates carbohydrate needs and underestimated protein needs for an active population. But leave that fat alone!:wink:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can cut down on fat a lot. but never completely, as you need fat to process certain vitiams and such.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    Well I'm not trying to cut out fat completely, but it just seems while watching my calories my fat intake is the hardest one for me to reach. The fats that I do get are typically the good fats as well. Also I have no problem eating my fruits and veggies, but it seems I also go a little over in the carbs area because of this.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not trying to cut out fat completely, but it just seems while watching my calories my fat intake is the hardest one for me to reach. The fats that I do get are typically the good fats as well. Also I have no problem eating my fruits and veggies, but it seems I also go a little over in the carbs area because of this.

You don't have to cut it out completely to run into problems. Chronically falling under your daily requirements is all you need to do. I'm glad you're getting good fats, but really none of them are inherently bad either. Cholesterol, the one everyone avoids like the plague...well that makes up the phospholipid bilayer of your cells, so it's very very very very important. Don't eat less than MFP recommends; the default is 20% because that's the lowest you should maintain at.