How does Weight Watcher points convert into calories?

Options
I'm new to MFP and am also counting Weight Watcher points. I'm allowed 31 points a day and on My Fitness Pal it says my goal should be 2200 calories a day. That seems like a LOT of calories. I'd like to know how many WW points that equals. Any idea how to find out? I've been successful with WW in the past- I lost 90 pounds, but sadly i stopped eating right and gained it all back. I want to lose the weight again.

Replies

• bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tried WW earlier and when I logged my food,it was usually around 1000-1200 calories.....my points allowed were 27.You might Google it......wish I could have been more help :)
  • dthmedia
    dthmedia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not exact, but it's about 50 calories per point. That's what I figured out after being on WW a couple times.:embarassed: MFP works best...
  • SuniHouse
    SuniHouse Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you. :smile: I did think to Google it after I posted the question, and now I don't know how to delete the post. lol
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Under the new Points Plus program, it is closer to 40 calories per point.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did WW and MFP for awhile, I'm not sure how well you'll be able to meet both goals. With 31 points you may have a tough time meeting your calorie goal. I found WW wasn't giving me enough to eat, so I'm only on here now. But, many have had success with WW as well. Best of luck!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1 ww point = 40 calories

My ww allowance only gave me 1200 a day, which left me grumpy and headachey all the time. Found MFP, and now eat at 1550 a day and have cancelled my ww subscription. More food for me and its free too. (And I'm losing just as much weight)...win win win!
  • lowash67
    lowash67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Its ok the question can be helpful to someone else
  • lowash67
    lowash67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was doing ww also. I switched over to MFP about a month ago and already have taken off 5lbs. MFP really does work. I still talk to my ww friends because they encourage, motivate and inspire me. I also like to check on the progress of some of my friends. But I no longer pay for a membership. This is free and it works just as well and I can eat whatever also, as long as I am counting my calories. I love it.
  • blacksagephoenix
    blacksagephoenix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to log my foods and count my calories, but I also eat a weight watchers diet, without the "program". I don't see the point in paying for the membership when all the information is available online. I found a website that converts whatever food I am eating into points and just keep track of my points. But use the MFP diary to log daily meals. So far, doing both is working out great for me.

For those that say WW didn't provide enough food, maybe you didn't eat to the WW point advantage. I eat three meals a day, with two snacks. About 2-4 points for breakfast, 6-10 points for lunch, and about a 12-15 point dinner. I am allowed 32 points. If I ate at the max amounts I give myself, that would be 29 points. A snack is easily 3 points, and fruits and vegetables don't count, so you could have grapes or something as a second snack. Also, you are given a weekly allowance for extra points, 35 for the week. You could split them up into 5 extra points a day, or save them for a fun carefree weekend. You can also GAIN points with exercise. I usually do a short 10 minute work out atleast twice a day, and that gives me an extra 3 points a day. I don't tap into my weekly points, just workout for the goodies I want. I look at it like my reward for the fitness.
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    the weekly allowence is actually 49. im a ww lifetime member now so i really have only been doing mfp but since i have stayed under ww goal its free for me
  • sherunk
    sherunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    in Feb 2012 I started doing 26 Weight Watchers points on the Points Plus diet and lost 50 pounds very easily and quickly in 3 months and have kept it off. On Jan 1st of this year I started the WWPP again at the 26 points and have only lost 5 pounds and I am going on 24 days witout any cheating and sticking to the daily points and sometimes going under by 1 or 2. I started the MFP along with the WW log sheet to see actually how many calories some items were because a friend was using MFP and turned me onto it. MFP says I should be eating 1800 calories a day and if I have done the calculations correctly according to the info given here then WW points at 40 each for 26 pointes is 1040 calories. How can they be that different??? I haven't had the same weight loss experience that I did last year and want to know if I should reduce the points plus values to get some results but 1040 calories doesn't seem like much at all. Any ideas?:grumble:
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Under the new Points Plus program, it is closer to 40 calories per point.

This...the old plan came out to 50, under points plus, it is now 40. Rough estimate of course but generally speaking, 40 would suffice if you don't have the exact calorie count of a meal or food item.
  • footpath
    Options
    But think of the savings if you use fitnesspal, its free and still has the same information, and more or less the same simple message, do more, eat less rubbish and keep a good balance.Why put money into a profit making organisation like ww when my fitness pal does exactly te same, for FREE!!
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    Options
    Keep in mind the 49 weekly points you get and you can also eat your activity points. Break down the 49 to 7 and that's an extra 280 calories a day (7*40).

FWIW: - My WW points (when converted to calories) almost match exactly my MFP caloires. .
  • cupcakes1107
    cupcakes1107 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was doing WW but, MFP works better for me. I like the app on my phone. WW is a rip off & plus they advised me to eat to few calories, I was alwayyysssssssss hungry.
  • cupcakes1107
    cupcakes1107 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's off my couple but, you are right, it just about matches so why not go with MFP & save some money.
  • tracykate24
    tracykate24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all math. 1 lb - 3500 calories. So, you need to create a deficit in your calorie count in order to lose weight. 1800 calories per day for me, would result in very slow weight loss. MFP has me at 1310 calories and weight watchers has me at 27 points. WW will probably result in a faster weight loss if I stuck to only those daily points. I find the 1310 calories much more easy to stick to, but I love my weight watcher leader and the support you get from the meetings, so I'm doing both, in a way. I work out 3 - 4 times per week burning at least 300 calories each workout. I'm down 10 lbs and need to start tracking on MFP again. I like that better. Plus the food database is so extensive. I find it funny that weight watchers foods are easier to fin in MFP than on the weight watchers site.
  • KJCrowder
    KJCrowder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what is the name of the program that you found that convers points to calories or vice versa. I have been trying to find one but have not been able to. Thanks.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love WW, but I cannot afford the program. I am considering merging MFP with WW by following that whole 40 calories per point to figure out my calorie target, and then I'll track like I would on WW with fruit and veggies being "free." I figure it's essentially the same plan. I also have my Fitbit and a heart rate monitor, so I'll allow myself to earn extra calories to eat if needed (similar to eating Activity Points and wearing an ActiveLink).

As far as a weekly allowance, I have one night a week where I allow myself to eat whatever I want for dinner and dessert with no restrictions on calories. (Basically, on WW I would be using up any remaining daily points, all my weeklies, and any remaining activity points.) I've done that in the past, and it's worked wonderfully for me.