*LADIES*Sticking to diet during our monthy gift

Options
How do you combat cravings and cheating while PMSing and being on your period?

I stated MFP about 4 weeks ago and was doing great until Aunt Flo showed up.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm not really on a "diet" but I don't really stick to my regular food choices.
    When I want something when I'm PMSing, I eat it.It's only 1-2 days out of the month that I crave sweets like crazy and I eat pretty well regularly so I let myself indulge in a bit of yummy unhealthy food. Plus, during those days, food just tastes soooo much better to me! It's like I actually appreciate how delicious it tastes. No regrets :)

Just let yourself have a small treat if you're really strict about your diet, or find alternative recipes that satisfy your cravings so you won't feel guilty at all.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    well it is just about that time for e and I just had strawberries and whipped cream as a snack. was yummy and not too shabby as far as being healthy :) ....but my issue is salt. I like chips. I try to substitute it with the good microwave popcorn (example; 94% fat free kroger microwave popcorn)
  • soontobesexyone
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same issue. Gotta have the salty and the sweat for me!!! And I have the give into both!!!!

My answer was to give into it. I tracked it - and I also spent extra time working out so I wouldn't be regretting it later. I still lost weight so I'm happy about that!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I try to do extra exercise time, because:
    A.) I can eat more
    B.) It helps ease the cramps and some of the bloating.
    C.) It does help me feel better.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If i crave it I eat it in moderation..
    Usually I'm more worried about the water weight! It stays with me for weeks on end.
  • amb5128
    amb5128 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

For me, a big problem is carbs! I LOVE carbs, and sweets. I just don't want to fall off the wagon. I have been tracking this week (for the most part) and trying to stay conscious of my intake..

• Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the same boat..... This messes me up every month, and I end up feeling fustrated, and gaining a few pounds..... I usually eat poorly for about 3 days or so. Every month I try not to set myself up for this, but never seems to work. I crave salty/ fatty things ike pizza or french fries. I have will power the whole month, except this time I cave in. Next month I'm just going to try even harder, I was just talking to my trainer about this very same thing today !! Looking forward to seeing some suggestions :)
  • I'm a salty person, so for me it's chips and popcorn. If I want something I eat it, and then I work it off and eat better :-)

We had the Biggest Morning Tea at work today, I ate a whopping 600cals or so just snacking :-/ so I'll be going to the gym tonight.
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your tracking you're taking a step in the right direction. If you want it, eat it, and log it. That way you can keep yourself honest and still be a little naughty! ;)
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's the one time I actually normally want chocolate. I feel like I'm always craving something during this time. I did read an interesting article recently to share with you ladies that was in Women's Health Magazine. If you can stand to, this is the best time for us to workout because apparently our body can handle bigger workouts and longer workouts. It said something about we have more "male hormones" during this time then any other time and that's why we feel like we can just keep working out. I'm not one that feels like this most days but during those times..I feel extra strong so there must be something to it.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't stick to them. I mean, I try my best and I don't binge as bad as I used to but I still eat chocolate. I make the 40 calorie brownies, I buy sugar free reese's, I go ahead and eat a piece of cake.

I have fallen into a routine with myself now. I realize that the PMS week and the week of the period are going to be bad. A few of those days I am going to be over on calories. Many of those days I am going to be over on sugars. I WILL try to exercise more though to combat some of it. Then the other two weeks of the month I find that many days I am under calories and not eating back my exercise calories. So it sort of balances out and I am still losing weight.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If i crave it I eat it in moderation..
    Usually I'm more worried about the water weight! It stays with me for weeks on end.
    Same here. The week of my period I will be up as much as 8 pounds but the day it ends I go back to normal again and even wind up losing a pound for the week a lot of times.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Because you're burning so many more calories in that time of the month, feel free to add 500 calories to your daily calorie intake. Try to keep them 'healthy,' but having one cheat during that time won't kill you.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the grocery store. I want sweets and pop when I'm pms'ing and not feeling well, and if I'm not there, I can't buy them. I almost always end up with a Coke on the first day, I end up so exhausted that I am willing to do anything to keep my eyes open, and a sugary caffiene filled coke always seems to sound good.
  • kelledin
    kelledin Posts: 11
    Options
    I was just about to post about this very same subject! So glad that we are all in the same boat.

I have eaten so much rubbish this week and have hardly done any exercise. Today is the first day this week that I actually feel like a normal human being and not a tearful, emotional wreck! I've been a grumpy sod all week but slowly but surely coming out of it.

PMS is the worst isn't it?! I have been reading up on the right supplements to take and have found that apparently calcium and magnesium are supposed to be good. Has anyone tried that at all?
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about this very same subject! So glad that we are all in the same boat.

I have eaten so much rubbish this week and have hardly done any exercise. Today is the first day this week that I actually feel like a normal human being and not a tearful, emotional wreck! I've been a grumpy sod all week but slowly but surely coming out of it.

PMS is the worst isn't it?! I have been reading up on the right supplements to take and have found that apparently calcium and magnesium are supposed to be good. Has anyone tried that at all?

I take calcium, magnesium, potassium, b-6 and fish oil capsules. It seems to help with bloating but not so much for cravings.
  • sgebhart11
    sgebhart11 Posts: 7
    Options
    This time of the month is the worst for me as well. Ice cream and chocolate is my downfall. I made myself resist at the store though.

I did find out that McDonald's ice cream cones are less than 200 calories. If I have a craving for ice cream and I cannot resist, I usually run through the drive through for one, and 9 times out of 10 it cuts the craving. I'd love a hot fudge sundae, but those have easily 300 calories and I try to refuse their Frappes as much as possible. Lately, I have been trying vanilla yogurt with fruit for something sweet.
  • amb5128
    amb5128 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome! Thank you for the advice!!! :)
  • lauren1270
    lauren1270 Posts: 1
    Options
    :smile: Ok, I found a fix! Waffle bowls (made by Keebler) put low fat strawberry yogurt, blackberries, strawberries and dark chocolate yogurt covered raisins. TO die for. My husband even loved it. Very few calories and the chocolate category is covered
  • apnerdette
    apnerdette Posts: 1
    Options
    I am going through the same thing right now...and here is what I've come to realize: "dieting" is rarely successful. A lifestyle change however, almost always is. I have changed my lifestyle enough that I can now control and moderate all of my cravings for carbs, sugars, etc throughout the month. In fact I rarely get cravings anymore, except for 1-2 days right around the end of the month. So during those 1-2 days, I just don't worry about it. If, like I was tonight, I am suddenly craving a beer, spicy chicken wings, and greasy lo mein, I will get it! And as my lifestyle has become healthier and healthier, I've found that I only need a few bites of those foods to feel satisfied. Ok, I did have the whole beer. :wink: And now I will drinks lots of water, and exercise as usual, and feel great knowing that I have changed my lifestyle enough to be in control of even my most wild PMS cravings.