How to prevent cramps when running

Options
slkehl
slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
Lately I've been going for runs and after about 5 minutes, I start getting bad side cramps. I stretch and warm up by walking first. I also wait a while after eating before I run. Any idea why this is happening or how to stop it?

Replies

• mrkennethjay
    Options
    Bump
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Might be going out too fast, or you might be chronically dehydrated. Drink more water during the day (not just before you run, though).

Have you tried slowing down?
  • lilygraces
    lilygraces Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read an article once that said a lot of cramping while exercising was due to not breathing properly. Breathing out while landing on your right leg puts pressure on your stomach. Whenever I get cramps in my sides, I focus on my breathing. Whichever side is hurting, I exhale on the opposite leg. So far, this has worked wonders for me when getting cramps while running. Maybe it'll help you too.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    It's my understanding a side cramp, or stitch, is caused by shallow breathing. The most common reason is running too fast. Try running slower so you can practice breathing more evenly and deeply.
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Yes, it's breathing. The cramps come from your diaphragm. Maybe listen to music to get a breathing pattern, that usually helps me.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    drink water.

i don't measure how much i drink and I KNOW it's no where near enough close to "8 glasses", but that's really the problem. surprisingly, i haven't had too too many issues, but you're probably dehydrated. water and or sometype of electrolyte drink.

also, try to breathe more evenly, having a pattern helps sooo much! breathe in, and deep!
  • slkehl
    Options
    I definitely don't track my water, so that could be an issue.

Bummer on the breathing thing. My ribcage is very narrow and somewhat inverted in the front. Guess I'll have to stick to distance instead of speed.
  • marielouisehilton
    Options
    I read an article once that said a lot of cramping while exercising was due to not breathing properly. Breathing out while landing on your right leg puts pressure on your stomach. Whenever I get cramps in my sides, I focus on my breathing. Whichever side is hurting, I exhale on the opposite leg. So far, this has worked wonders for me when getting cramps while running. Maybe it'll help you too.

Yes, this has worked for me as well. I do this and before I start I do stretches with my arms up in the air and also over to each side. As I run I breath out on my left foot. If I feel cramp coming I slow down (still jogging just really slowly) and focus on my breathing.

You mentioned you leave it a while after eating, are you leaving it long enough? I find I need 2 hours and I drink enough so that I do not need to drink in the 30mins before I start.

I just did my first 10k run a few weekends ago and got through with no cramps - good luck!! :o)
  • slkehl
    Options
    Running slower really helped! I actually was able to run much further than I thought I could, and no cramps! I think I'm going to focus on endurance at a slow pace and very gradually work my way up to higher speeds.