I think I'm falling apart!

Options
First, Any clue why the back of my knee would start hurting before starting en exercise regimen and consistently get worse?

Second, why do the bottom of my feet feel excrutiating pain running and just under excrutiating walking at a moderate pace? Tried doc's and they don't know. Tried plenty of different shoes and no luck yet. I want to run a 5k but can't get past this even without the new knee thing.

Replies

• ghosttree
    ghosttree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Circulation might be the issue with your feet. Or some nerve issue related to your lower back. As for the knee thing, that is a toughie... Only advice there is to stretch it slowly and work through it. That, too, could be related to a back issue. Improper posture/movement can cause a whole host of these types of things. Best of luck to you, I hope it gets better soon. Don't let it discourage you too much, you'll get through it!
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    It depends on where your pain is located and what kind of pain it is. Most likely, it's a PF issue.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview

If you're new to running, make sure you're getting properly fitted for running shoes. Head over to a local running store for assistance. Running in shoes that aren't proper for running could only worsen the pain and keep you on the bench from running for a while.

Good luck!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist. They should be able to help you with the foot problems.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I hurt my foot last Thursday and thought for sure I broke it when I was unable to walk on it. I ended up alternating heat and ice and seemed to get better. Here it is a week later and it is still hurting, but not as bad. I would say shoes were an issue, but I think there is a tendon or muscle issue with it. Don't wait till it's too late. Get your feet checked out, unlike me, and see if there is something you can do to ease the pain. Have you tried insoles? That is my next step. I am unable to attend my conditioning classes because I cannot put much pressure on my feet.
  • virgo82676
    virgo82676 Posts: 13
    Options
    I've seen my go and chiro but not a podiatrist. I almost thought about seeing an orthopedist but maybe I'll see a podiatrist first. I did get properly fitted at a local running store and it helped vey little unfortunately! I read the link, and that syndrome does. It look promising. EEKS!

Ghosttree-I actually have a bulging disk in my low back. Might be it...time to look for more answers.

Thanks for the input!!!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    My sis began a walking class and experienced a lot of foot pain. She decided to work through it and it got worse. Then she went to a neurologist who said she had a neuropathy and the nerves in her feet would go numb. She took nerve pain meds and was miserable. On top of that she got the flu and was in bed for a week. The pain in her feet went away and she's fine. She just needed to get off her feet for a while. There's always fasciitis, arthritis, and other inflammatory causes that you can check out if the rest doesn't help. The knee could also be inflammation from stressing the joint. Good luck with resolving it.
  • virgo82676
    Options
    SG- I have orthotics for shoes that my chiro had made for me but they haven't helped yet.

I sound like such a negative nelly, no it doesnt work, not that, nope not that!
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    I would go to another family practitioner. It sounds like you have planter fasciitis. I'm not a physician. I highly recommend you see one because it is possible you have a blood clot, also known as DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which can be deadly if it breaks free and travels to your lung. Please go get a second opinion from a family doctor.
  • virgo82676
    Options
    Oh that's scary! Will do right away!
  • annagrace51
    annagrace51 Posts: 12
    Options
    you are so on target with all ur info I suffer from r.a. and I work out through it with help from my doctor..
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For the pain in the bottom of the foot, what you are describing sounds like plantar fasciitis. Typically the sharp/ stabbing 'I am walking on glass' type of pain hits worst when you first get to your feet after being off them for a bit like when you first get out of bed; added to the back of the knee thing, I believe it may be an issue with your shoes. Head to a podiatrist or a physical therapist to confirm. (Side note: I worked in PT for a few years as a tech. and saw a few cases such as this especially with people who started exercise programs during the previous few months. The shoes that are good for walking/ everyday use are usually not that great for pounding on the pavement.)
  • virgo82676
    Options
    Podiatrist it is, you guys rock seriously! Thanks for all the insight!
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Any news?
  • virgo82676
    Options
    Still in the process of getting referrals. GP thinks I need a Pt.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Feet; need good arch support + stretch those achilles tendons from the arch all the way up the calves.

Knee buy a velcro band and place just under the knee, sure helps me while doing Zumba carrying this excess weight.

Try to jog on grass or dirt path.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Get off pavement. Try walking/jogging on a soft track or turf like around soccer fields.

Go to an orthopedist. Particularly one familiar with athletes and exercise physiology. They will be more sensitive to the desire to want to keep moving while figuring out what's going on.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Time for a second opinion. No-one can diagnose you over the internet. I could tell you what I think it might and give a really convincing argument. But I'm just someone on the internet. I could be completely wrong and lead you in the wrong direction causing you harm. If your doctors don't know what's wrong, it's time to find a doctor who does.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Consider a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation doctor who specializes in sports medicine. They are called Physiatrists and may be more helpful than podiatrist and can make the appropriate referrals to physical therapy if needed.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis so it hurts very much when I walk fast or run and when I take long walks I get the feeling I´m being stabbed with needles under my feets, mostly my toes though. So I can feel your pain. It is no fun trying to lose weight or keep your weight balanced when going through this kind of pain.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    those of us who know plantar facitis have suffered it, and telling one to stay off hard surfaces, and wear arch support & stretch is NOT harmful to anyone.

As we age our arches fall if you don't wear support.

Can't hurt OP to try. ☺