Getting Frustrated!!!

Options
I am only losing half a pound-no pounds / week. We are walking 2-3 miles 5-7 days/week and hiking in the mountains 2-4 hours weekly.
I was thinking it may be possible I was under estimating my calories for meals that are homemade so this week I ate 1000-1100 to see if I was eating over my 1200 calories and increased my water intake to 60 oz/day. I weight and measure everything!
My husband and daughter are losing 2-3lbs/week and we are all eating about the same things. Any ideas? I know I eat the same breakfast a lot, but I feel like I need dairy everyday and the yogurt has protein.
I do eat over my calories once a week, could that be the problem?

Replies

• WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Know it sounds backwards, but a lot of people with this dilemma up their calorie intake 200-300 a day and that seems to get things going. Your metabolism is like a fire, and it needs fuel to burn!
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Know it sounds backwards, but a lot of people with this dilemma up their calorie intake 200-300 a day and that seems to get things going. Your metabolism is like a fire, and it needs fuel to burn!

This
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I agree with the above. Everyone's body is different, you may just need more calories to keep you going, especially if you aren't eating back some of those calories burned while you are working out. try fit-fat radio, it is a website that will calculate your bmr and your tdee, see what your body needs, don't compare your progress to someone else. Everyone is different.
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Well I can understand this theory in the short-term, but at some point if I were truly under I would eventually begin to lose. If you think about it anorexics lose weight.
  • MainelyMarie
    Options
    I had the same issue and discovered that although I was keeping to the right calorie count, my fat grams far exceeded what I should have been taking in. See if that makes a difference for you:smile:
  • Marque74
    Marque74 Posts: 60
    Options
    Are you monitoring your sodium intake? Could be causing you to retain water weight.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, you may have to experiment somewhat to find what works for you.

Try fine tuning your diet by taking certain foods out. Try lowering carbs and upping proteing as a start and see what your body does first.

Good luck!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Well I can understand this theory in the short-term, but at some point if I were truly under I would eventually begin to lose. If you think about it anorexics lose weight.

Maybe you should cut your calories down to 500/day. That's how anorexics do it. *rolls eyes*
    Wise up, eat more. It works.
  • embstine
    embstine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am only losing half a pound-no pounds / week. We are walking 2-3 miles 5-7 days/week also.

What I should do to change that???
  • mangosabayon
    Options

Maybe you should cut your calories down to 500/day. That's how anorexics do it. *rolls eyes*
    Wise up, eat more. It works.

I am actually a healthcare provider and in no way am I suggesting I should eat less. I am asking for ideas other than "eat more"
    Thanks though!
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    I had the same issue and discovered that although I was keeping to the right calorie count, my fat grams far exceeded what I should have been taking in. See if that makes a difference for you:smile:

What a great suggestion! I do note that on certain days I am way over on fat. I will keep an eye on that, I think it might be the red meat days. I can eat some beans those days :smile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Well you are still losing weight. Just very slowly. Se as aneroxics. Why anyone would want to lose weight like an aneroxic person I dot understand.

You also have little to lose. It will e slower. I don't know how big your daughter and husband are bt if they have more to lose it will be quicker intially.
  • mangosabayon
    Options

Well you are still losing weight. Just very slowly. Se as aneroxics. Why anyone would want to lose weight like an aneroxic person I dot understand.

You also have little to lose. It will e slower. I don't know how big your daughter and husband are bt if they have more to lose it will be quicker intially.

Good Point! I do have less to lose. Oh it has been slow, makes it hard some days. I don't want to be anorexic, I only mentioned it to prove a point.
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, you may have to experiment somewhat to find what works for you.

Try fine tuning your diet by taking certain foods out. Try lowering carbs and upping proteing as a start and see what your body does first.

Good luck!

High Five on your weight loss! You are doing great :happy:
  • leslie0316
    leslie0316 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too recently got "stuck" I had lost about 30 pounds and then - nothing. What I realized is that my body was used to what I was doing. You need to change things up. I added intervals training into my workouts, and this week- I took off 7 pounds. Now I know that 7 in a week is a lot, and I am sure that it will go back to 1-2 a week, but you need to shock your body for a week or two, change things up. Also- do squats- Your gluts and quads are you largest muscles and should be worked quite a bit- do heavy weights one day a week, and low weights one day a week and your body will respond.:smile:
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options

open up your diary then. Maybe you are underestimating your home cooked meals, which is easy to do. A lot of people who work out as much as you do have a ton of success on higher calorie intakes, which is why people are going to suggest you try it. Not to mention you had already said you tried to lower your intake at no prevail. Sodium intakes will cause water retention, but you've said that you increased your water intake. Do your numbers, find out your bmr and your tdee, see what YOUR body needs, without that information you're just shooting in the dark.
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear! I agree I need to change things up in the exercise department. I have been procrastinating on that. You are so right though, I know this will help!