To weigh or not to weigh

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
Do you use a scale to weigh your food? Why or why not?

Replies

• BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Yes. How else am I meant to get an accurate representation of what I'm eating?
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Yeah but I only weigh my meat tho.. Because most foods that isn't meat or poultry calls for cups..
  • EliBond
    EliBond Posts: 23
    Options
    I do, not in an obsessive way but just so I know that what I log on here is accurate :) x
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Definitely...I'm hopeless at guessing what a portion size is................
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh vegetables. They are generally quite low in calories, but I look at them and it's a rough estimate. Pretty sure I am not going to go overboard in calories with veggies lol.

I weigh meat, not because I'm trying to avoid a certain amount, I just try and get as much meat as I possibly can. Gots to get that protein :D

Anything that isn't a vegetable pretty much gets weighed.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that isn't alreay portioned and calorie counted, worry I'd underestimate what I was eating otherwise.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Nope, and it hasn't kept me from losing weight.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything - even the milk in my coffee. Portion size and getting used to exactly where calories are lurking is vital for me as on paper I have a relatively healthy diet but I must be going wrong somewhere as I'm overweight.

I have a simple electronic scale on my worktop so I can put my pan, mug, plate etc straight on top and note the weight of each item that goes in. It also encourages me to prepare food in advance to go in the fridge. For example, yesterday I made a huge salad and weighed it all out as it went into a big serving bowl. Doing it every day would be a hassle but by doing it in one go yesterday I now have three days' worth of salad.

A good old-fashioned tablespoon is also a vital bit of kit in my kitchen. Now, when I'm having oil, whether to cook with or on salads etc, I measure, measure, measure. That 'glug' of oil in the pan can have a frightening amount of calories if it is not measured out sensibly.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh everything but I always weigh pasta and things like that. I think I will start to weigh things more though especially chicken as thinking about it I chop quite alot off before I cook it so I am probably underestimating it
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you don't weight everything at least occasionally you would be amazed at how fast portion sizes creep up - and then the weight starts creeping up. I weigh or measure or count EVERYTHING!! even the 1 tablespoon of creamer in my coffee. It's how I lost the weight.
  • glitterysam
    glitterysam Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did at the start but now i have almost become accustomed to knowing what portions of certain things weigh/their calories :) I dont have food scales at the moment but once i move house in a month i may invest in some as i'll be cooking for my housemate who is also trying to lose weight as well :)