Do you burn more if you're awake longer?

Options
Just because I've been up since 4am this morning, it's not even 11 and I've had over 1000 calories! :/ I did do an intense bootcamp class this morning, and factored in, my net is 600, but just wondering - overall - do we burn more calories when we're awake longer?

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Logically, I would say yes. Unless you sleep an inordinate amount the next day, and then I guess it cancels it out. If you're just sitting on the couch all day, though, you're probably not burning much more. Being awake for two extra hours than you're normally awake can't burn THAT many calories.
  • TyfoDK
    TyfoDK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Two short articles on how lack of sleep will result in weight gain. So I'd go for a standard sleep pattern! :)

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    also been wondering this.
    i work 18 hour days (between 2 jobs) for the majority of the year, and typically eat every 3 hours or so... but on a 1200cal/day intake, that's only like 200cal/ small meal. hard to stick to, especially since my breakfasts tend to be in the 350cal range, as are lunches.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My schedule is a HUGE deterrent in getting fast results.

If I didn't work out at all, I could get more sleep, but as it stands, I get 4-4.5 hours a night until the weekends when I get 8-10.
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I currently work 4am to 1pm and get only about 4-5 hrs of sleep a night. I've been on this shift since October 2011. I HATE it... and I've realized that sleep is important for many reasons. The lack of sleep makes me cranky for one. I'm actually surprised that I've lost weight during this time, but I've had to work at it. I am up and moving many more hours of the day than I used to be. On a normal 8-5 shift I would come home and make dinner and then sit on my *kitten* watching TV for hours until I went to bed. Now I leave work at 1pm and run errands or have appointments and am usually moving for another 6-7 hrs through the day. I don't watch much TV anymore unless we record programs and watch on the weekends (which have been way too busy lately) so I don't rest until I actually get into bed. I might sit for a bit before I make dinner but I'm up a lot to let our puppy out (seems like every 15 minutes or so).
    So long story short - too late... I have lost and burn more calories just by being awake for more hours than other people on a normal work shift. I'm ready for this shift to change though cause I really miss my sleep!!! :yawn:
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and "lunch" is at 9am so I eat more often too - usually 4 meals around 300-400 calories.
    I currently work 4am to 1pm and get only about 4-5 hrs of sleep a night. I've been on this shift since October 2011. I HATE it... and I've realized that sleep is important for many reasons. The lack of sleep makes me cranky for one. I'm actually surprised that I've lost weight during this time, but I've had to work at it. I am up and moving many more hours of the day than I used to be. On a normal 8-5 shift I would come home and make dinner and then sit on my *kitten* watching TV for hours until I went to bed. Now I leave work at 1pm and run errands or have appointments and am usually moving for another 6-7 hrs through the day. I don't watch much TV anymore unless we record programs and watch on the weekends (which have been way too busy lately) so I don't rest until I actually get into bed. I might sit for a bit before I make dinner but I'm up a lot to let our puppy out (seems like every 15 minutes or so).
    So long story short - too late... I have lost and burn more calories just by being awake for more hours than other people on a normal work shift. I'm ready for this shift to change though cause I really miss my sleep!!! :yawn:
  • ZenZen55
    ZenZen55 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for posting these two interesting articles. I feel that the healthy attitude of the members that I have read, coupled with the site's reluctance to encourage weight loss of more than one pound per week, make this my best chance to succeed.
  • zerapha
    zerapha Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, and special thanks for the articles. I didn't plan to be up so early, and definately wont make it a habit.
    Decided to do extra circuit training this evening to give me a bit more leeway with calories. Overall, the damage isnt too bad, I guess.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this too.

I work full time and get up earlier now and I'm always STARVING. My diet hasn't changed a even a bit. I think being awake, moving and doing things obviously burns more calories so you are getting hungrier. Literally, I used to sleep until at least 8:30 and I never had this problem...now I get up at 6 and it sucks. Plus, I'm the kind of person who needs her 8 hours or isnt worth a damn.
  • teelarr
    teelarr Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also keen for an answer on this topic that doesn't revolve around 'sleep more'

I work 7am - 3pm. I have a young son.

Today I was up at 4am. Breakfast at 4.30am. At work at 6am. And will be up until at least 10pm.

If I eat an extra snack which I feel I need as I'm starving, I go over my calorie count.

Is there any provision for a 'longer day' or taking into account the number of hours you sleep?
  • magicdrshoon
    magicdrshoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have been pondering on this one.

I found a calculation on eHow..com which reckons it has the formula: http://www.ehow.com/how_6217580_figure-out-caloric-requirements-adults.html

The result for me doesn't look realistic (far too high) but this is the kind of calculation I had in mind. I'm 212lb and normally awake for 17 hours per day. This equates to a weight-maintaining calorie intake of 3750 Kcal.

At the moment I'm on 1430 kcal per day, which is what has been suggested by the myfitnesspal app. I'm managing it, and I'm not loosing massively excessive amounts of weight (averaging between 2lb and 3lb per week) so I'm happy with it.

Anyone know of a similar calc which might give more realistic results?