Squats

vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I am having a lot of trouble with squats. It doesn't matter what shoes (or no shoes), if I add any weight besides my body weight, my right knee starts to really pull and hurt on the outside. Without weights, I can do about 25-30 at a time, but I can only get 3-4 with even just 30 pounds of weight. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Replies

• Alicita72
    Alicita72 Posts: 5
    Hi squats are a killer for me too. Try breaking it up by doing 2 sets of 20/25 three times a day, until you build up your muscles. I sometime use the bathroom sink or the fence in the field for support. If possible do the in a pool your body feels lighter because of the water but your still getting the same exercise. Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    You should video yourself so you can see if your form is good.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Are your feet about shoulder width apart or a little farther? Toes pointed 30-45 degrees out? Are you sitting back or bending at the knee? (I find sitting back onto a short box is the only way I can fix myself if I start bending at the knees. Google 'box squats.')
    Are you keeping your knees PUSHED OUT the entire time? If they come in even a little, that's a problem. They should track over the top of hte foot.

You should be pushing through your heel.

I think the last bit is the most trouble for people. You're all used to cheating by rocking forward out of your chair, which puts all the weight on your toes.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    For shoes, any kind of flat, somewhat thick sole is going to help. Examples: chucks, wrestling shoes, vibrams (on the thin side), or my favorite Adidas Sambas. Do not use running shoes with cushioning and raised heels - it's like trying to squat on a spring mattress.

Keep the toes slightly out so you can go as low as possible, keep a shoulder width stance, keep the back arched, chin up, chest out, shoulders back (good posture is the correct form for most exercises)

Warm up with bodyweight, going as low as possible and work your way up (going the same depth) slowly adding weight