Any advice from runners out there?

Options
A few years ago I made a goal and I am finally starting to work toward it. I would like to run a marathon before I am 30! I am currently 24 and realize if I am going to make this goal a reality, I need to get started! I have never been into sports or really anything athletic so this is going to be a challenge for me. Today I started some simple jogging in a park. I made it about half a mile of actual jogging along with a couple miles of walking. It isn't much, I have a long way to go, but it is a starting point!

Any runners have any advice out there about anything? Shoes? How to raise my endurance? Breathing? Lengths of runs? Anything? I am definitely a beginning with 5 years to reach a huge goal.

Replies

• suemoony
    suemoony Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just started the Couch to 5k training programme
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    you may want to try that so you don't burn yourself out and don't forget to stretch before and after your training
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just started the Couch to 5k training programme
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    you may want to try that so you don't burn yourself out and don't forget to stretch before and after your training

100% on the couch 2 5k.

I personally don't believe you should stretch cold muscles. A warm up walk/slower jog is my preference.
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi, congratulations on working toward your goal! Here's my advice as a fairly new runner myself.
    -Most of being ABLE to run is in your head, not your muscles
    -Running with a partner is a huge motivator, especially if you are a little competitive with them
    -Don't always stop when it starts to hurt. Most of the time you can work through it, it will either go away or go numb.
    -If you use music, don't assume it should be fast. A slower tempo will help you find your pace without exhausing you
    -Go ahead and sign up for your first 5K as soon as you can do a couple of miles. You don't have to have the mileage under your belt first. Worst case scenario is you will have to walk some, and then it will be easy to beat your personal best the next time out. Races are very different than training too because that atmosphere gives you lots of adrenaline power!
    -Don't be afraid of hills, some intervals are often better than flat work to me.

Good luck, don't give up!
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the fact that a lot of being able to run is in your head! I also started as a non-athletic person, and 4 years after I first ran a mile I finished a marathon.

I like running because you don't need a lot of fancy gear, but it is really important to find some good shoes. Good shoes help to prevent injury. If you can, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Things you shouldn't skimp on

1) good quality FITTED shoes
    2) good quality bra
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people really like the couch to 5 K program, but I couldn't do it....I am 52. It just increased the running times to quickly for me. It may have been a mental thing, but I couldn't do it. I found a program which I am having success with on the marathon training academy website. It is for those just beginning to run and is to get a basis of running before starting "real" training. You may want to try that one out if the couch to 5K doesn't work for you.

I also know that shoes are important. You should probably go to a good sports store and have them help you find the right pair.

Just don't do too much at first. I did when I first started running and didn't have a real plan and I could hardly walk for 3 weeks.

Good luck to you and let us know how you do.
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    get good shoes and replace them often! nothing is worse than running with worn out shoes. and find a training program you like and can stick to so you have mini goals. a lot of people on here have great things to say about couch to 5k. i personal like the training programs on hal higdon's website. he has training programs to take you from walking all the way up to a marathon with 5k's, 10k's, and half marathons in between. and stick with it! i promise it gets better the more you do it! good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K, focused on breathing during the walk intervals and kept a slower pace to build endurance. After finishing the program I tried Bridge to 10K, but it wasn't working for me so I just started adding mileage building up to a 5 miler and then a 10K; by that point I began a half marathon training program I liked except for a couple of weeks where I thought they added too much mileage. I simply added 2 weeks to the program and reduced those longer runs, instead of adding 2 miles I only added one. I ran my first half marathon about a year after my first 5K and went straight into training for a full marathon, which got messed up because of bad weather toward the end, but I still managed to finish the full this past March.
    As for advice, you will plenty, but the best I can offer is work on breathing early and slow down to build up endurance as you added more distance. And get good socks! I've only had one blister and it came from running 18 miles with the wrong socks. Find some you like and stick with them!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion here for the C25K program. It's like working with a trainer - Running is something that's difficult to figure out on your own, how much you should run, how hard you should push yourself, etc. C25K is GREAT because it starts off at a very low level of running and builds up your endurance (and confidence!) through nine weeks. From there, you can graduate to doing a 10K and then a half marathon. It will probably take at least a couple of years of running experience before you are ready to run a full marathon.

As far as shoes... Get fitted for sneakers at an athletic store, by someone who knows about running shoes. This is a must! The fit is very important because depending on the arch of your foot, you are very likely to either over- or under-pronate your ankles which makes a huge difference in the type of sneaker you should buy.

Sign up for a 5K race around August and then start working your way through C25K :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    SInce you smartly made this a long term goal you have the time to do it right. What you should do the first year is simply build mileage by running as much as you can at a comfortable pace. The purpose behind these runs is simply to build your aerobic capacity as well as strengthen the legs. Your aerobic capacity is the #1 factor how well you can run any race beyond 800 meters and you can continue to improve this for up to 10 years. After about a year you should continue to do mostly comfortable running but will then be in position to greatly benefit from some specific speed training.

Here is a free book that explains the principles - http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1. Start slow and be patient. Do not worry about pace, distance, etc.

2. Buy a heart rate monitor. 180 minus your age is where you want to train. (180-24 = 156 bpm). So stay in the range of 146-156. That may mean running for 3 minutes and then walking for 30-45 and then running again. Slowly warmup and slowly cool down. If I am doing a 40 min run I will warm up for 10 minutes, run 20, and cool down for 10. Most people want to go to hard/long to fast. This greatly increases your risk of injury and sickness. Try this for a minimum of three months and you will be amazed at how fast your pace and endurance will pick up. Record this information every 2-3 weeks. Your first month you may be at a 12 min/mile pace. Second month you may be 11:20, next month you may be 10:20. It won't be long before you are running sub 8 min miles.

3. Every 4th week reduce your time and mileage. This recovery will improve your performace and reduce the risk of injury.

4. After each workout drink a good recovery drink. Choc Milk works for me. Health supply stores/GNC will have several varieties.

5. Don't run every day starting out. Try running every other day and if you do back to back days make the second one a short run.

6. Your hamstrings will get tight if you are new to running. Running with tight hamstrings will cause your knees to absorb more of the shock. Stay loose (reason for long warmup, long cool down, and recovery drink).

7. If you are serious about a marathon I would see if there are some local run clubs are start entering some 5ks just to make friends that like to run. You are going to be logging some slow miles in your training and training with friends keeps your interest up.

8. This is something I wish I had started earlier. Start a diary. Record your pace, distance, how you feel, etc. Write down quotes that inspire you, etc.

There are alot of good fitness/running/endurance forums out there. www.slowtwitch.com is mainly triathletes, but when I started doing tris in 2003 this is where I met my coach and learned most of what little I know about endurance training. Good luck to you.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above suggestions so my only add on is:

I ran for the first time using C25k in Aug '10 at the age of 42! I couldn't even jog a bock...literally. I was never athletic. I was the kid in PE who would walk the presidential fitness test in high school.

C25k is great. Take it one day at a time. Go slow.

I have run many 5ks and 10ks and just completed my first marathon a few week's back.

Running can be very mental so when you think you can't, just keep going and find a mantra. Mine is 'forward is a pace' because sometimes I get down on myself for not being as fast as others and I remind myself how far I have come and that running at all is miraculous for me in of itself.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about C25K and how that works.

But I was a lazy *kitten* who started running with some help from Frank Shorter's book on running (which is great really). Here's what he says about the beginning phase:

Start with 30-minute runs 3x a week. Run in "talking pace" so that you can still converse without much difficulty. Bring a friend if you have one, because it's easier together.

Once you've done this for 3 or so weeks and you are comfortable and notice that you can run faster/longer during those 30 minutes, you can change it up a bit to make it harder or longer, or add intervals. By that time, you'll know a bit about what running feels like and how your body deals with it, too. If you want, you can sign up for a race and start a training program.

Edit: I run regularly and have for a while. I started out just trying to run without having to take walking breaks. Now, a few years after I started, a typical week for me will include one round of intervals (uphill or flat) and one "longer" run of 10km or more.

My favourite kind of interval is 4x4: When I do this, I warm up at a moderate pace for 15-20 minutes. I then run fast for 4 minutes getting my HR up to about 185 (this will vary! my max HR is high). Following the 4 minutes of running, I walk for 2 minutes. Then I run another 4... I do this 4 times (4x4, get it? :P) This really improves your form and endurance.

In the beginning of my running career I also had to pre-stretch. I would warm up slowly for 10 minutes, then I'd have to stop and stretch my calf and thigh muscles thoroughly. I did not count those 10 minutes towards my running time. This I did to avoid cramping, and it really worked. I also made sure not to run on a full stomach (because that also makes me cramp up).

It took me a good while to get to the point I'm at now. I was never athletic or into sports before. I've run a marathon (half) and I'm racing again this summer. I still feel tired when I start a run sometimes. But you can always push yourself so much more than you think you can! And it feels so great afterwards!