Need to put me first........

Options
Hello everyone,
I just started on this site. My name is Stacey and I am a 29 year old stay at home mom. As a child I was very active in sports and had a sporty physic. Now after 5 years marriage and 5 pregnancies I dp not have much of a shape...but round.My husband and I had some trouble starting a family. I have been pregnant 5 times in 5 years and it sure shows. I first got pregnant in 2004 (our wedding night) and our son AJ was born at 20 weeks on October 3rd 2004, he passed away the next day. We then got pregnant again and had a miscarriage February 23rd 2005. On November 23rd our daughter Faith was born at 23 weeks and sadly passed away. We were then blessed with our son Gavyn who was born early on September 20th 2007. He is now a healthy 2 year old. Then on July 13th 2009 our daughter McKenna was born. We have been blessed with 2 healthy children that keep my going daily. ,The only problem with my life is that I do not take time for me. I have a goal of being in shape and healthy by July 2010, my 30th birthday. I need to take care of me so that I can be the best mommy for my children but I am struggling with that. My husband works out of town 25 days out of a month so all they have is mommy. Does anyone else have small children and are having trouble finding time to exercise? Also I can not seem to get enough calories in.... You would think by looking at me I would have no trouble with the eating aspect.

Thanks for listening
Stacey

Replies

• Mommy2705
    Options
    Hi, I can understand that. My little boy is months old, my other son is 6. I have just satrted working again this week, only for 3 days, but there is really almost no time to do exercise. But I arranged it with my husband, although he hasn´t got so much time either (hot a restaurant). But I try to do horseriding twice a week, as I share a horse with a friend. But I think it´s not only the time. As you said I also loved sports when I was younger and weighed 30 kg less, but I always find an excuse why I can´t do this or that at the moment. So yesterday I bought a DVD of a German boxer (Regina Halmich), I use it in the evening, when the children are in bed and my husband at work. I hope I will do it mor than once !!!!!!!
    Elisabeth
  • saranmicah09
    Options
    I can somewhat relate I have a newborn son that i made the mistake of spoiling so now he thinks he must be held 24/7 but at the time his dad had just moved and it made me feel better to hold him constantly but it makes it so hard to get a good honest work out in. but i try during naps and sometimes my sister or her boyfriend will watch him.. but im determined to do it because im not only doing it for me but for him
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Stacey,
    My kids are 4.5 & 3.5 and I'm finally starting to take care of myself. I work out of the home, so leaving them to go to the gym just made me feel guilty. My husband works odd hours and 95% of the child rearing is up to me (not my hubby's fault, just the way it works). I work out at night (something I said I could never do), my kids just stopped taking naps so they do go to bed early (7:30), usually they are asleep my 8 and I do 30 day shred and we own a eliptical. Money is tight so I use the exercise video's on OnDemand (Comcast cable). It took awhile to get used to exercising at night but it works well now. Getting up at 4:30 am just wasn't something I'd stick to so choose working out at night. My kids eat what I eat, which is healthy for us all. I don't "double cook". Best of luck on your journey! Please feel free to email me anytime or jump on into the group I'm in on MFP called "A New Me".
    Good luck :flowerforyou: and congrats on putting yourself first! Your kids will respect you more for it! (I always was irritated at my mom for not doing more for herself and then I realized I was becoming that same mom)
  • raemundo
    raemundo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My son is 18 months. Usually he's really good and on a schedule and I exercise during his afternoon nap. Other days I just have to wait until he goes to bed, or not do it at all. It's hard. But keep trying to fit it in and it will be fine :) sometimes I just do it while he's in his high chair eating breakfast or lunch! Just be creative :) and good luck with everything! You should put yourself first.
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Options
    wow! you have quite a story but you sound like an amazing & strong woman!!! good luck to you!!! just rember- your MFP 'friends' are here to listen & help... they've been amazing in helping me loose my 11 pounds!!

ooh yeh- welcome to the site!! :smile:
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    It is so hard to remember ME TIME!!! and with finally having your little ones with you it is expected to forget who you are... I am so glad to hear you were able to carry 2 child full term to a healthy baby. I recently was a surragote for a couple who were unable to bring children into the world, so I know where you are starting from...

You will get there. If you are spiritual at all I suggest you grab a book called "loss it for life". It comes with a workbook so that you can journal your process and work through some of those issues that drive you to eat. It is a great book...

My prayers are with you and wish you the best of luck:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I have two kids (4yrs and 5yrs), I just joined the YMCA and I take them with. They have a great time playing in the kid zone while I work out and it's free with the membership.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Double Stroller - this is your friend. I didn't have the fancy jogging one, but took my boys (my oldest was 3 when brother came along) and pushed them for a very long walk sometime during my day. The baby slept a lot of it. Plus the walk is entertaining for the kids too. I even bundled them up on chillier days. We walked the mall when it was really cold. I had a Sit n' Stand, so my oldest could face me if he wanted to and he loved all that time to talk to me with my full attention. When I got up to 90 minutes, I put a visit to the park in the middle of that long time. Or I'd do 45 min in the am and 45 in the pm. I can't prove it, but I'm sure I burned extra calories pushing 40 lbs of kids + a stroller! My other trick was we limited TV time so it was a treat. I did my elliptical while they watched cartoons. Getting a shower was another matter! Good luck, you just have to be creative and fit it in whenever you can.
  • stacey11
    Options
    I have a sit and stand stroller as well, however I live in Alberta and it is now getting colder here. Today it is -4 and snowing. It is a bit to cold to take my baby out in this weather. and it is only going to get colder. Next summer I want to buy one of those carriers that hook up behind a bike that can be used for a stroller as well. I will start out on short walks that end up to be up to 2 hours. I think that it will be a good idea to stop at the park to break it up for the kids. As far as t.v, I do not watch any during the day, I do not have time. My 2 year ols son does not stop. I watch it after he goes to bed and it is just me and the baby. I would love to go on the treadmill while they watched t.v..... my son does does not watch t.v at all. Maybe when the baby gets a bit older they could watch together while mommy goes on the treadmill. I have tried to exercise while my 2 year old napped and I had the baby in the jumparoo. She watched me for a bit but it does not last long. I have been putting them both down for a nap at the same time this last week and it has kinda woked for me. I was able to get an exersice in but not the shower. I hope that this new routine for her will MAKE her sleep longer. For some reason my children do not slepp much or well as babies. Thank you for your iinformation and input..

Stacey
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey, I am a stay at home mom to a 4 year old little girl and a 2 year old little boy. It is hard to sometimes fit in exercise, my little girl Anna is in Pre-K all day, I have to drop her off in the mornings at 7:25, and I go to the school and get her at 2:40, so I have to fit all that I have to do within those hours in between. I try to squeeze in at least 30 minutes of exercise a day 5 times a week, sometimes I get there sometimes I don't. anyways I just wanted to say welcome