eat less lose less eat more lose more

Options
Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
so if i eat between 1200- 1500 i dont lose
but if i eat from 1700 -2000 i can lose 2lbs a week hows this work out,.

Replies

• jaynita2
    jaynita2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    well i take my kids to and from school 3 times A Day and thats 40 mins ago 5 days a week
    and i try to do a dvd or go for a run 3-5 days a week if i dont go for a run or a dvd i walk the dog for an hour.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Dunno, I am the other way around.

It all depends on the person, do what works for you.
  • melanielupien
    melanielupien Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! Only very short non active people can really live off of 1200 calories a day. Most people can survive of this, but when you stay at only 1200 a day for a long time, it damages your body.

I eat 1600 a day on non-workout days and eat 1800 calories a day on workout days.... and I am losing much faser then on 1200 calories a day.

When I started MFP, I only needed to lose about 18 pounds. I lost 14 pounds in 45 days on only 1200 calories a day and I was starving. Last week I changed my intake to more calories and each morning the scale says I have lost another 0.2 pounds and then this morning it said I lost another 0.4 pounds. So, in the past week Ive lost almost 2 pounds from eating more calories.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Because you weren't eating enough before. :tongue: Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less for more info, or read my latest blog post for a quick synopsis of why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PrfctGdess/view/eating-more-264399
  • mbrown654
    mbrown654 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself and my own metabolism. When I eat less, unless I am exercising a lot, my loss slows down. When I eat the number of calories called for to reach my goals, I lose more weight, more often. The other thing I did was to stop drinking alcoholic beverages completely. Good luck to you, hope you reach your goals and more!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That's me!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

If you don't eat enough your body doesn't have the proper amount of fuel to get you through normal daily activities plus any work outs you may be doing, your body will be more likely to hold on to the little you are eating, but when you eat the higher amount it doesn't get paranoid about when it will get its next meal.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options

If you don't eat enough your body doesn't have the proper amount of fuel to get you through normal daily activities plus any work outs you may be doing, your body will be more likely to hold on to the little you are eating, but when you eat the higher amount it doesn't get paranoid about when it will get its next meal.

Food for thought....mmmmmmm
  • Ragel27
    Ragel27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Call me thick,but i really do get soo confused by all of this-im 35,5'8,currently weigh 157lbs & looking to lose another 7lbs,according to mfp i can eat 1320 calories a day(i set it to sedentary,just incase i dont get round to exercising).

Ive managed to lose 10lbs soo far,but am just wondering if im eating enough calories or not?

Any help would be greatly aprreciated,thank you :)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This....

• AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Call me thick,but i really do get soo confused by all of this-im 35,5'8,currently weigh 157lbs & looking to lose another 7lbs,according to mfp i can eat 1320 calories a day(i set it to sedentary,just incase i dont get round to exercising).

Ive managed to lose 10lbs soo far,but am just wondering if im eating enough calories or not?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Check out this website and see what it tells you as far as calories needed, you can input height weight, meal frequency, activity level and what your goal is, I wouldn't go above a 20% calorie reduction (I only went with 15% when I was working with a deficit of calories) of course with the calorie amount you get you wouldn't eat back your workout calories since they are already figured into your daily totals unless you end up below your bmr.
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options

It depends what your BMR is and what goal you set for pounds lost per week. As you are so close to your goal weight, for example, it's not realistic to lose 2 lbs a week. So the lower you set that (like 0.5 lbs per week) the higher your cals will be. I would not set it at 'sedentary' unless you really are sedentary.
  • _TWLOHA_
    _TWLOHA_ Posts: 26
    Options
    That works if you live in the gym or if your an athlete. If I eat more than 1500 cals a day even with burning 300 a day I still gain. When I was spending 2 hours a day at the gym and burning 800+ calories I ate 1400-1800 and never got below 140 pounds. My goal was 120.

Guess it's different for every person, didn't work for me.
  • aprileigh27
    aprileigh27 Posts: 37
    Options
    you should read the forum eat more weigh less.
  • alikrorp225
    alikrorp225 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've noticed some of the same issues. Not to be too obvious here, but I think it's all about what you eat more than how many calories you have per day. If you eat a bunch of junk, you won't lose(and will probably gain.) If you eat 1800 calories but they're from healthy foods, high in nutrients and not all processed, you'll lose more. That's why I try to focus on being healthy, not necessarily losing weight...although that's a bonus. There are lots of ways to lose weight fast, but most of them are not healthy. If you choose healthy foods and exercise at least three times a week, you'll lose weight. Definitely don't starve your body! My husband did that, unintentionally, because of stress at work and it trashed his metabolism. That's another thing, it's not just about eating healthy and exercise. It's also about your surroundings. Stress can wreak havoc on your body and cause you to either dramatically lose weight or gain weight. Try to find a little bit(15 mins at least) of quiet time a day, even if it's just a quick dip in the tub...and relax. It does the body good!
  • daniela_dimech
    Options
    eat 5 -6 small meals a day , i never tried it . i started 2 weeks ago and already lost :D amazing and its so much fun , check out my blog i found that it keeps me motivated posting my meal plans and recipes :) everything is so good and low in calorie and very healthy :)

let me know what you think

Happy Healthiness everyone :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY BLOG ---> http://healthy--happiness.tumblr.com/
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Increasing my calories didn't help me lose weight. However, keeping them at 1200-1400 and eating the RIGHT food did. Rather than eating less food with higher fat content and calories, I now eat a LOT of different lean, low fat, lower calorie foods but eat the same amount of calories. I feel like I'm eating all the time, not hungry, have tons of energy and I'm losing a lot faster now too.

Before,, a usual breakfast was. Coffee. Just coffee. If I did eat breakfast it was a calorie laden muffin, donut, biscuits and gravy or high calorie cereal.

After breakfast: A bowl of old fashioned oatmeal with a cup of mashed berries in it. Coffee. :) I stay full longer and it's healthier.

Before Lunch: A Hot Pocket or can of ravioli, can of sodium (oops I mean soup) or 'diet' dinners.

After Lunch: Turkey on whole wheat bread with low fat cream cheese and romaine lettuce or spinach. One cup of raw veggies and a piece of fruit.

I don't think I need to add dinner. Besides the list of veggies is too long because I usually have a salad with TONS of healthy stuff in it, along with whatever else I cook. You get the idea.

Mainly I have to prepare my meals rather than eat them out of a can or a box. I eat a lot more, same or fewer calories and I'm losing weight.
  • dmaster555
    dmaster555 Posts: 73
    Options
    No, that is not how it works. I'm sure you people on here wish it worked that way. Regardless of the lies you believe, it takes weeks
    For your metabolism to slow due to restriction and even then, it slows by about only 10%. Even less.

Especially if you're not doing exercise.

Most people here do cardio but you aren't doing nearly as much as you think you are. When the electric machine says you burned 300 calories, you really burned MAYBE 100.

Educate yourselves. This is why you are overweight.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Dunno, I am the other way around.

It all depends on the person, do what works for you.
    this ^