Too much fruit, a bad thing?

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
Good Morning MFP friends :)

Yesterday after a pretty ( mentally) terrible day, I decided to hit the market for some fruits and veggies. Pretty much I went overboard. I ended up spending 82 and change on fruits, veggies, a little hummus and some cucumber yogurt greek thing ( forgot the name! lol, I'm pre-coffee right now).

I brought with me some pineapple, watermelon, some cherries, some strawberries, carrots, broccoli..and I am calculating it all on my diary and I am going over big time on sugar. NOW I may not eat all of what I brought for work, but say i do.. is it bad to continue to eat so many fruits in a day? I sometimes read on here " you can get fat/gain weight eating too much fruit" and I always think * pfft right, sure you can*... but now, I am really thinking maybe you can..too much sugar can't be good.

Any opinions would be great.. I am trying to eat more fruits/veggies so that I don't eat other things like, 100 calorie packs instead. ( which arent bad so long it's in moderation, and not 2-3 packs a day).

Thanks loves :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It is better than going over in sugar from candy bars. I think that the sugar that they mean for us to track is the kind that is not naturally in the food. Wish there was a way to do it.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    me too, I keep hearing sugar from fruit is ok.. but for some reason seeing that red makes me feel like it may not be.. drives me nuts.
  • chevvy53
    chevvy53 Posts: 44
    Options
    no natural fruit can be bad no matter how much you eat as long as it doesnt replace proper balanced meals.......plus the slimming world diet and the weight watchers it states you can each as much fruit veg as you like so I am sure if it wasnt okay these diets would be banned or made too change ??
  • Bambooblade
    Bambooblade Posts: 18
    Options
    Fruit causes alsorts of anomalies. After finally getting a few days decent weather (I'm in the UK) i've been snacking on apples, cherries and all the lovely fruit in season & i've notices that my carbs have shot up. I don't think fruit is bad carbs/sugar though. Although MFP doesn't differentiate between good/bad
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything isn't good. I generally don't sweat fruit sugars, however I never eat more than 2-3 servings a day of fruit at most. I wouldn't go overboard and make sure you aren't missing out on other macronutrients (like protein) because you are fulfilling a lot of your daily calories with fruit.

And yes, excess fruit calories will make you gain weight, just like excess calories from any foods will. Your body doesn't store fruit and veg calories in a separate compartment. :wink:
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Well, it doesnt seem a lot of calories are being taken from eating the fruits.. I have proteins in my diet so that isn't a problem, I usually go over a tad on protien, but nothing bad.. It's really just the sugar that bugs me.. I have so amny fruits and veggies in my diary for today, fish for lunch, and chicken for dinner, and I still have 700 calories kleft to consume.. I find this part difficult.. balancing the sugars, protiens, and calories so I dont go too under in calories.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Mix them into salads, yogurts and other protein & vitamin rich foods!! I go over on sugar with fruit alone daily too... I has also heard the differing opinions, but for me (personally) it makes me feel good, satisfied and keeps me from refined sugars so I am a supporter of lots of fruit :) just find a good balance!

if you are truly concerned that you have too many, freeze them and you have mix them into smoothies later in the summer!
  • R_Sheets_RI_bike_commuter
    Options
    Mix them into salads, yogurts and other protein & vitamin rich foods!! I go over on sugar with fruit alone daily too... I has also heard the differing opinions, but for me (personally) it makes me feel good, satisfied and keeps me from refined sugars so I am a supporter of lots of fruit :) just find a good balance!

if you are truly concerned that you have too many, freeze them and you have mix them into smoothies later in the summer!
    Variety is the spice of life!
    If your burning a lot of calories, fruit is a good source of energy if balanced with protein. It can give you that boost for the second half of a workout.