Out from 9am to 9pm food to take all day - Ideas Please!

Options
Hello,

I'm going to be taking a week of next week to watch the IOM TT, and it looks like I'm going to be out of the house and nowhere near somewhere to get healthy foods from 9am to 9pm.

Does anyone have any ideas of what foods/snacks I can carry around all day in a backpack (I'm going to hunt around for a small cool bag/cool blocks to put with the food), to constitute as a healthy lunch/dinner.

I'm thinking of taking allot of apples and grapes as my go-to food.

Thanks for any help in advance

Nessy x

Replies

• bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you! I have lecture and lab, then nursing clinicals all day from 8am to 9pm (ADN student, blech.) And we only get about an hour inbetween lab and clinical, which means no sitting down for a Panera salad and grilled chicken unless we order ahead and leave the car running in the parking lot! I always pack non-perishables in my purse/backpack to nibble on for snacks like sunflower seeds, almonds, carrots and cucumbers (they can be okay warm, but I prefer them cool), Luna Protein bar or a Good Greens + bar.

Then, in my lunch bag, I have two meals planned out with additions depending on how hungry I am at that moment. I start with a base-grilled chicken, salad mix, leftovers, or cooked fish. Then have additions-tomatoes, cukes, dressings/flavorings (I'm in love with frank's red at the moment, only 5 calories). Then a side-frozen fruit that has thawed in my bag, fage yogurt, deli meat. So, if I happen to be ravenous that day, I have plenty of stuff to fill me up. If I'm not so hungry, I eat all the perishable stuff first then stick it back in my insulated bag and reuse it. I also keep a cooler in the trunk of my car since my food needs to last from 8am to 9pm.

So, all in all, small things that require no prep like fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, yogurts (not sure if you like yogurt, but I practically live off of it), baggies with 3-4 oz of chicken or deli meats, nuts, seeds.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks, dried fruit and / or nuts, cherry tomatoes and seeds
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Lara Bars are amazing........ I keep some stashed with me at all times. They taste like a treat, but are healthy- only dried fruits, nuts, and spices.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The nature valley protein bars are delish and filling! apples, bananas, nuts, seeds. peanut butter sandwich?
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking some nuts. My go to snack are almonds, they're delicious and filling!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna and a can opener?
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would add a few pre-mixed protein drinks for snacks or even as meal substitutes. I like the Myoplex Lite's Dark Chocolate Fudge. It has about 20 grams of protein and 170 calories. The Atkins shakes are pretty good too.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    PB Sandwich is a staple for me when I'm on the go. Made with high fiber, higher protein whole grain bread and reduced fat PB. I'm not a jelly person but have tried several of the sugar free varieties and they're not bad. This will total around 400 calories. Easy. Not Messy. Filling. I also like that it doesn't take a long time to eat - you can scarf it down quick! :tongue:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my bf packs my lunch every day and on wednesdays, I work 9-9. In the morning I have a green smoothie and sometimes an egg.

for midmorning, I have yogurt & granola (both homemade). the granola is full of seeds & nuts. that keeps me 'til lunch.

at lunch i have a salad with apple, onion, carrot, feta, egg, pickles and sometimes avocado and/or tomato with homemade dressing.

for midafternoon i have homemade hummus (usually garlic & hot pepper) with carrots & celery

by evening, i have a thermos of coffee and either an apple or an orange or both if i'm super hungry.

this keeps me until I get home when I usually have another yogurt & granola or soup or whatever he may have made for dinner.

it doesn't sound like a lot, but it surprisingly is. the salad is more dinner-sized. if you eat meat, you could add chicken to the salad and then bring other things to take with you: hard boiled eggs, raw broccoli & cauliflower with hummus, a banana & peanut butter (or almond butter), or if you eat meat: cold chicken with hot sauce or tuna with mustard.

i like to stay away from things that need to be microwaved or refrigerated, but if you add those two factors, your options significantly increase.

whatever you bring, make sure it's something you really enjoy eating, you know? otherwise, you'll be headed for the snack bar.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Tuna (pouch kind) and crackers

fruit

granola bars

Nuts

Hard boiled eggs
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein bar (which makes me think I'm eating something more like a candy bar) is Nature Valley Peanut, Almond and Dark Chocolate Protein Bar. There are 10 g protein in each bar and are REALLY good!
  • jrottura
    jrottura Posts: 1
    Options
    Be careful of too many fruits- lot of sugar there. Get protein in, too- maybe some cheese or natural peanut butter with your apples and grapes. Head to target and grab an insulate bag and cold packs- keep it with you at all times so that you don't stray. And be nice to yourself... Jello pudding is very light and sweet (if you get sweet cravings like me). Also, bring water crackers or wasa for your carb fix... they are low in calories and you can pair them with anything (tomatoes, cheese, avacado, etc.) as a substitute to a sandwich.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Be careful of too many fruits- lot of sugar there. Get protein in, too- maybe some cheese or natural peanut butter with your apples and grapes. Head to target and grab an insulate bag and cold packs- keep it with you at all times so that you don't stray. And be nice to yourself... Jello pudding is very light and sweet (if you get sweet cravings like me). Also, bring water crackers or wasa for your carb fix... they are low in calories and you can pair them with anything (tomatoes, cheese, avacado, etc.) as a substitute to a sandwich.

i would choose an apple over jello any day. but that's just me.

fruit also packs fiber, so don't worry about the sugar that comes in fruit. yeah, don't go ape on it, but it's perfectly fine to eat because of the fiber and nutrients they carry.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    on mondays i have class from 9am to 8pm

i bring in chicken with veg, protein shake, apple, banana, and a wrap with mince in it.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    granola bars, trail mix, string cheese, rice snacks, fresh fruit and veggies, crackers...
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I work a lot and work hard so I have stashes of easy snacks everywhere. Protein bars (I like the zone perfect ones but nature valley is good too), jerky, nuts, and greek yogurt are favorites of mine. Hard boiled eggs would be pretty easy too. A tupperware of some leftovers would be a good idea too.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Some things that won't need to be kept cold would be good, too! 100 calorie packs of any nuts, peanut butter (they have packs now for travel!), granola bars or any variety thereof, and maybe some fruit snacks for something sweet!
  • Leisa007
    Leisa007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tuna (pouch kind) and crackers

fruit

granola bars

Nuts

Hard boiled eggs

I totally 2nd this post listing! These are definately all of my "go-to" items when I'm on the go and away from the house for long periods. Bumblebee makes awesome tuna in prepackaged containers that already include the crackers, a spoon and even a mint! No can opener required.
  • IAmJustina
    IAmJustina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the very same thing! The Nature Valley Protein bar is amazing and tastes delicious! Anything high in protein and/or fiber will keep you full throughout the day and give you more energy!
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have to do this a couple times a week. I just take my planned lunch and dinner and try to keep it on ice as I go throughout the day. Try to eat the perishable items first to they don't spoil in the day. I eat fruit first and a small snack in the mid afternoon.