Vegetarian protein bars

Options
beccalucy
beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
I'm struggling to get sufficient protein in and am conscious of the fact, particularly as I keep getting injured and exercise pretty much daily, predominantly running. I've looked around and post seem to be non-vegetarian so wondered if anyone had found vegetarian ones and if so what do they taste like?

Replies

• tangerinepen
    tangerinepen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have any help although I would like to know the answer! I suspect yoghurt is a good one, although you still have to careful buying it because it sometimes has gelatine in.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars (in Canada) have no animal products, just soy. And Vega One bars are vegan if you can find them, but I"m not sure what they taste like.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good Greens bars are vegan and raw. 10 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber. Taste good, relatively cheap, and high quality non-gmo ingredients.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    At 9g protein, I'm not sure you could call Clif bars a "protein bar", but they have no animal ingredients and are a tasty and filling snack.

You could also buy vegan protein powder (I get mine from trueprotein.com) and bake it into little oatmeal squares for maximum portability. It's also delicious in smoothies with almond milk and fresh fruits and veggies!

Also, they are a little expensive, but Primal Strips are delicious vegan jerkies made from high-protein, low-calorie seitan. The Thai Peanut flavor is my favorite!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Most protein bars are vegetarian, just some aren't vegan. Is that what you meant? Someone sent me a link with some recently...I'll have to see if I can find it...
  • aqtnny
    aqtnny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine is a vegan and he gave me this recipe to try and it was good i thought .

Vegan No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

Ingredients

1 Ripe Banana (mashed)

1.5 c Oats
    1/2 c Shredded Coconut (I used sweetened)
    1/2 c Raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work)
    1/2 c Chocolate Chips (or carob, butterscotch, white chocolate chips, etc.)
    1/2 c Maple Syrup (or agave, yacon syrup)
    1/2 c Peanut Butter (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc.)

The Following Ingredients are Optional but I used them all:

2 to 4 scoops of Protein Powder (I used 2 heaping scoops of Sun Warrior Brown Rice Raw Vegan Protein Powder in Vanilla flavor. And if you don’t care about the protein aspect or don’t have on hand, just omit the Protein Powder all together)
    2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
    2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
    1.5 Tsp Cinnamon
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    Yields: Approximately 10 decent sized bars
    Note: The above are rough measurements and you can use the kitchen sink mentality on this recipe: a dash of this, a dab of that, don’t have this but have tons of that, throw everything in but the kitchen sink strategy and they will “work”. I promise.

Storage: I store mine in the freezer, individually wrapped, so I can grab and go as needed. They soften up quickly at room temp, and will keep for a month or more in the freezer.

hope you like them
  • ThatOthrVeganChic
    Options
    Luna Bars, Odwalla Bars, Larabars, Cliff Bars. Those are my four favorites.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine is a vegan and he gave me this recipe to try and it was good i thought .

Vegan No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

Ingredients

1 Ripe Banana (mashed)

1.5 c Oats
    1/2 c Shredded Coconut (I used sweetened)
    1/2 c Raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work)
    1/2 c Chocolate Chips (or carob, butterscotch, white chocolate chips, etc.)
    1/2 c Maple Syrup (or agave, yacon syrup)
    1/2 c Peanut Butter (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc.)

The Following Ingredients are Optional but I used them all:

2 to 4 scoops of Protein Powder (I used 2 heaping scoops of Sun Warrior Brown Rice Raw Vegan Protein Powder in Vanilla flavor. And if you don’t care about the protein aspect or don’t have on hand, just omit the Protein Powder all together)
    2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
    2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
    1.5 Tsp Cinnamon
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    Yields: Approximately 10 decent sized bars
    Note: The above are rough measurements and you can use the kitchen sink mentality on this recipe: a dash of this, a dab of that, don’t have this but have tons of that, throw everything in but the kitchen sink strategy and they will “work”. I promise.

Storage: I store mine in the freezer, individually wrapped, so I can grab and go as needed. They soften up quickly at room temp, and will keep for a month or more in the freezer.

hope you like them

Do these need to be baked? Or do they just set in the pan?
  • heatsy
    heatsy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bumkp