1200 CALORIES OK?

Options
When I started this 5 days ago, the system set my calories at 1200 a day. After reading all the post on here I am getting the impression that is not safe. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Greenconcept
    Greenconcept Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. Jillian Michaels recommends to consume 1200 cal a day if you are a woman and want to loose weight, but the app says 1200 is a risk.
  • MAJINTA
    MAJINTA Posts: 13
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds already. But I am concerned the calorie intake is not enough.
  • melissaeich20
    melissaeich20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of controversy to 1200cal/day on MFP. I think if you are eating back your exercise calories and have your activity level set to the proper setting it is ok. I generally eat 1200-1400 calories per day (more if I have a harder workout) and have been loosing about 1lb per week. I do not think it's too difficult, as long as I stick to healthy foods and portions.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories a day since I started in January and have been losing at a steady rate that my physician is happy with and I am of course thrilled with.

I am still in the obese range for BMI though so it is working. I am not going to worry about getting more in until I plateau.

Do what works for your body and eat healthy and exercise and don't sweat the science too much is my humble opinion!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people on here who will tell you it is ok, and that it has worked for them. However, I eat way more than that, and I still lose weight. I eat about 1700 cals a day plus my exercise calories. It's up to you. Do you want to be hungry and lose? Or do you want to eat plenty, be full and lose?
  • MAJINTA
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I will leave it as is for now and see how it goes. I do try and eat back what I burn off.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Find out what your BMR and TDEE are and stay within those numbers.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    1200 plus exercise calories is ok, but difficult to maintain long term. I was still hungry when mine was set that low, and it was frustrating to keep the calories that low. So I changed my goals to 1/2 a pound a week, and now my calories are set at 1440 plus exercise calories. I can't always eat back my exercise calories, but I like the extra just in case I need it! So far in 3 weeks, I have lost 4.5 lbs and I am happy!
  • Misslynn
    Misslynn Posts: 4
    Options
    I usually get light headed with the 1200 calorie goal, so I keep it at about 1300. I still lose about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs a week, and it doesn't make me light headed. I feel like I'm eating plenty to eat. I guess it depends on your body. My Dr is fine with me on this calorie range so I am too.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    1200 is just really hard to maintain. It's ok if you are small and pretty inactive, but otherwise you should probably bump it up. I eat over 2k/day and am losing weight, but I am very active. I think 1600 is probably more reasonable for your average woman trying to lose weight.
  • dinald444
    dinald444 Posts: 1
    Options
    Did you set a goal for weight loss (meaning a certain poundage lost BY a certain date)? If so, the system is figuring that in order to lose so many pounds by a certain time period, you can only have 1200 net calories a day. 1200 calories was MY determination too when I started. Not sure if you're considered to be starving yourself or not, since it's very close to the 1000-calorie "no-no land."
  • MAJINTA
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the good tips. New to the site and happy with it so far. Quit smoking 9 weeks tomorrow and gained 10 pounds already. I already was about 25 over to start with. Gonna see how this goes. Sometimes you feel like the last man standing.
  • MAJINTA
    Options
    Noticed I have been starving.......thought it was all in my head. lol Going to up the calorie intake!!!!!
  • MAJINTA
    Options
    Well, I have been starving and that makes it harder to diet cause who wants to do that!!!!! So I am going to up my calories for now!
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a question and I hope I don't get flamed for this. I am new to this, thus ignorant about several matters. I don't understand why you would eat back your calories from working out? I thought the purpose of working out was to create a larger deficit to lose weight?
  • JENROMERO
    JENROMERO Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This feedback is really helpful. So many times I've gone "over" to around 1,500 and I feel like such a failure that day. 1,200 is easy on some days when I do something big for exercise, but a struggle on other days. This makes me feel like I'm on track if I stay close to it. Thank you!
  • MAJINTA
    Options
    I feel the same way. Some days I was under the 1200 and one day I went over by 71 calories and freaked out!!!! I know it is ok it go over sometimes and it is ok!!!!!