When Diet Becomes Disorder. Please read, I need Support

Options
Has anyone out there started a diet and lost weight, then developed an eating disorder of any kind? I have never been diagnosed but It's pretty obvious to me that something is wrong. I've been dealing with this "disorder" for about a year. I restrict caloric intake to extremes and If i go over X amount, then I freak out and go burn everything off that went over my set limit. I very rarely allow myself to eat "normal/non-diet" food. Every time I see someone else eat a lot, or just see them eat something that isn't healthy, I tend to hold that against them in my mind. I know I shouldn't and I know this is dangerous. I also struggle with body image and self acceptance. I know I need help before serious damage is done. Each time I begin recovery, something triggers me within the first days/weeks and I fall back into old ways. I'm young & I cant get professional help. I know it's unhealthy, and I've been trying to get help through myself and others. Has anyone else developed this problem?
I also need friends for support. add me?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't help you -- but Congratulations to you for realizing that you have an issue and on reaching out for help!

I know that there are folks on these boards who can help you and that there are MFP groups (click on "groups" above, then search on "disorder") focused on this topic.

Best of Luck and Congratulations on reaching out!!
  • wisefish
    wisefish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are right that this behavior is not normal- I suggest seeking out a therapist who specializes in ED. Also, please read "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole. She is a therapist who specialized in ED and her book is amazing- I do not have an ED but I read it and can't believe how f*ed up my eating relationship is. It is very cultural too, so we all are prone to it (esp women).
    Anyway-- good luck to you in your journey!
  • StartingOver12
    Options
    This same thing happened with me about 7 years ago. I had lost 80 pounds and I lived in constant fear of gaining weight. I became absolutely obsessed with dieting. I weighed myself 3 times a day and if I went over my calories I would freak out and excercise or severely cut calories the rest of the week. It is not healthy or normal, get help.