cooking protein pancakes?

Options
em9371
em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
can anyone help with cooking protein pancakes? I tried some and failed miserably, they stuck to a non stick pan like *kitten* to a blanket and have left little patches that no amount of cleaning will get off :-(

I made a normal pancake batter out of flour, milk and egg, replaced half of the flour with protein powder. Used a non stick frying pan which was pretty much brand new, with a light spray of olive oil before cooking, pan nice & hot, just like I do for omlettes, which work just fine.
Is there something about protein powder that doesnt like heat, or am I doing something else wrong?
Id like to get them right, but cant afford to buy a new pan every time lol

Replies

• MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    when I made mine, i used bisquick and I added a scoop of protein into mine with another egg, and added milk for the difference to keep it still liquidy. I cheat by using butter to grease up the griddle, and noticed that they cook faster than pancakes without the protein..

I think that the protein is not intended to cook with so if you add it in and not substitute it, you will get better results, but use your normal scoop, dont match the size needed for flour, they are different ingredients...

I will soon try mine with olive oil, but did go with butter...
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My new daily breakfast is the following:
    40g quick oats
    20g protein powder (I use EAS Vanilla Whey, big 5lb bag from BJs)
    1tsp baking powder
    Dash of salt
    1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    30g plain 0% Greek yogurt
    Almond milk to thin - amount varies

I mix the dry ingredients together first, then add the wet. You can season with cinnamon, sweetener, etc. I have been using those new Duncan Hines icing flavor packs (just the powder mix, not the icing itself). One pack will make about 4 batches.

I just dump mine in a non stick pan with a little spray, and make one gigantic pancake. It comes out to be about 350 calories, and is filling as heck. You could easily split this up into several smaller pancakes. Mine comes out to 32g of protein with 35 carbs.
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try adding it into oatmeal pancakes instead :) sooo good. I wouldn't bring down the flour amount and just make sure you mix in well and seeing how if your adding more dry ingredient to them, make sure you balance with a little bit more liquid. Start off with smaller amounts of protein powder first and increase. If your looking for more protein in your pancakes, oatmeal pancakes are great and keep well if you make extra. Adding peanut butter is another option too :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    can anyone help with cooking protein pancakes? I tried some and failed miserably, they stuck to a non stick pan like *kitten* to a blanket and have left little patches that no amount of cleaning will get off :-(

I made a normal pancake batter out of flour, milk and egg, replaced half of the flour with protein powder. Used a non stick frying pan which was pretty much brand new, with a light spray of olive oil before cooking, pan nice & hot, just like I do for omlettes, which work just fine.
    Is there something about protein powder that doesnt like heat, or am I doing something else wrong?
    Id like to get them right, but cant afford to buy a new pan every time lol

Ive found if you get the pan hot then turn to medium before you add the mix it cooks them a lot nicer, and less likely to stick
  • em9371
    Options
    thanks guys, will try out all your suggestions and hopefully one will work for me, I like the idea of using oats instead of flour didnt know that was even possible :-)
    I did go half flour half protein powder, so maybe that was a bit much!
  • socalgirl68
    socalgirl68 Posts: 85
    Options
    Yah sometimes it is hard. Here is one you can try. super moist and its a no-fail recipe

1/2 cup sweet potato, mashed (you could use a banana)
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (vanilla is pretty yummy too, if you have the right kind)
    2 TBS. Almond milk
    2 egg whites
    Add ins:
    Chocolate chips
    Blueberries
    Cinnamon
    Chia seeds
    Flaxseeds
    Stevia

Mix everything except the potato or banana. Then add the potato/banana. Heat a medium-ish pan and spray with cooking spray. Pour on batter. When you flip it, it takes less than 2 minutes to cook on that side so watch carefully. Spray again before you flip. Wala!

Toppin Ideas:
    Melt Coconut oil, Nut butter, and DF&GF chocolate chips. Top. YUM
    Almond butter
    Peanut butter+maple syrup
    Melted blueberries
    Jelly
    Eat it plain!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Saving for pancake ideas
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    My protein pancake:

1/4 cup (60 ml) low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tsp milled flax seed
    cinnamon to taste
    pam spray

Mix cottage cheese, eggwhites, protein powder, flax seed together and bake in hot pam sprayed skilled. Carefully flip the pancake, when bottoms are cooked. They puff up.

Top with sugarfree jam
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My new daily breakfast is the following:
    40g quick oats
    20g protein powder (I use EAS Vanilla Whey, big 5lb bag from BJs)
    1tsp baking powder
    Dash of salt
    1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    30g plain 0% Greek yogurt
    Almond milk to thin - amount varies

I mix the dry ingredients together first, then add the wet. You can season with cinnamon, sweetener, etc. I have been using those new Duncan Hines icing flavor packs (just the powder mix, not the icing itself). One pack will make about 4 batches.

I just dump mine in a non stick pan with a little spray, and make one gigantic pancake. It comes out to be about 350 calories, and is filling as heck. You could easily split this up into several smaller pancakes. Mine comes out to 32g of protein with 35 carbs.

This sounds yummy!! Sunday breakfast for me :D
  • em9371
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!
    I'm just waiting on some vanilla protein powder then I'll be testing these out :-)
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump!
    Gonna try out some of these recipes this weekend.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    1 SCOOP OF UR FAV PROTEIN POWDER, 1 TBSP MILK, 1 LARGE EGG AND 1 EGG WHITE, CINNAMON, SALT (OPTIONAL), 1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER,1/4 BLUEBERRIES, 1 TBSP SUGAR-FREE PANCAKE SYRUP. ITZ SUPPOSED 2 B 3 EGG WHITES BT I FOUND DAT ONLY DA EGG WHITES MAKES IT TOO DRY BCZ THERE IS NO FAT CONTENT
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've recently mastered the art of the protein pancake. It's all about flipping it at the right time. If you do it right, it's perfect. Here's my recipe, which is similar to some I've seen here:
    1 banana, mashed very well
    1/4 c. egg whites (I use the kind in the carton)
    1 tbsp flax meal
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

I pour it into a small non-stick skillet that I spray with olive oil from my oil diffuser, and cook it on medium for about 5 minutes. I usually take a fork and just pry up a corner to see if it's done, the bottom will be brown and it will easily release from the pan. I flip it quickly and let it cook about half as much time on the other side. It took me some time to get it to stay in pancake form. It's my FAVORITE breakfast. Super filling, perfect macro content. All I add is one tablespoon of natural nut butter to the top and spread it around.