Problem with New Balance N4 Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I purchased the New Balance heart rate monitor with the chest strap from Target about 3 months ago. It had been working fine until the past week or so. I put it on one night and while I was driving over to the track it said my heart rate was 238! Wow, I would think I would be near dead if it was that high. I was able to somehow reset it by pushing a button. It did it another night too. Then last night, at the end of my run at the track, I got in the car and voila, it was reading 238-240. I could not get it to reset this time, I just took the chest strap off.

Now, while typing this, I did notice the same factor was my car. Do you think my car could somehow interfere with the HRM?

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing when I am driving in the car. Now if it starts doing it while not in the car then you need to replace the battery. I replace the battery about every three months or so...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Now, while typing this, I did notice the same factor was my car. Do you think my car could somehow interfere with the HRM?

Possibly, could be the FM radio or something like that.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Mine does that alot while I am working out in the house. Sometimes it goes to zero and then jumps to 200 and something.
  • Buggheart
    Options
    Probably the radio or computer systems in the car. If I get anywhere near my microwave or laptop while wearing mine it shoots up to like 250 in no time.

Reese66 - Can you buy the batteries at the drugstore or do you need to order them online? I think I need to replace my battery as mine is acting up. For example today I was working out very hard and it dropped from 160 down to 100 for no apparent reason. It's bugging me that I'm getting inaccurate readings so maybe changing the battery will help.
  • nobleamy10
    Options
    my watch to my N4 HRM died yesterday and I replaced the battery today, still cannot see anything on the screen. Has this happened to anyone of you? If so what is the solution? I've changed the chest strap battery about 2 months ago, do I need to change that one too?
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just got my N4 for Christmas (December, 2011) and the other day, after my workout, I noticed my low heart rate was down at 59 and my max heart rate was up at 179. Idk about you guys, but that seems a little off. My resting heart rate almost never goes below 70 and thats when I'm sitting for awhile or laying down. For my heart rate to be 59 while I'm doing weight lifting, now that seems off.

Then, yesterday, I was out for a walk on a trail and noticed my heart rate was down at 42. That got me thinking that maybe the battery in the chest strap is dying. I'd have to be sedated to have a heart rate that low. I haven't been experiencing any problems with the watch itself, but the chest strap is being faulty. I know normal batteries have to be changed every so often but I opened it up and it has a watch battery which is supposed to normally last a lot longer than a couple months. Seems like a lot of you are possibly having the same issue.