1200 Calories a day

Options
MrsTomy
MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
My recomended calorie intake for the day is 1200. I try to eat close to (within 50) but not over the number of calories i am supposed to eat, plus any exercise calories. Because my recomended cal intake is 1200 and the minimum calorie intake is 1200 it always fusses at me for being under...but i sure don't want to go over...so what am i supposed to do? Under or over? Cause getting it EXACT every day just isn't realistic!

HELP!!!

Replies

• MrsTomy
    Options
    My recomended calorie intake for the day is 1200. I try to eat close to (within 50) but not over the number of calories i am supposed to eat, plus any exercise calories. Because my recomended cal intake is 1200 and the minimum calorie intake is 1200 it always fusses at me for being under...but i sure don't want to go over...so what am i supposed to do? Under or over? Cause getting it EXACT every day just isn't realistic!

HELP!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    mine is the same, I am usually a little under my net calories....... say 1185+ Just do your best, but going over a tiny bit isn't going to set you back.
  • MrsTomy
    Options
    I know! I just feel guilty if i go over!!!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i am not that strict on my 1820 cal sometimes over many time under with that ive lost 38lbs since jan 15 08 .
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    you know, you CAN go over. I dont see anything wrong with being 50 calories under or over by that amount or slightly over. Life doesn't mean it has to set in concrete. Just do your best and do some more exercise if u find yourself going over by a 100 calories or so,
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    i am not that strict on my 1820 cal sometimes over many time under with that ive lost 38lbs since jan 15 08 .

WOW. U get to eat that many calories and still lose weight. wtg. that is awesome
  • eriny
    Options
    yes considering a i was eating 3000 - 6000 on most days before mfp
  • eriny
    Options
    plus today i am 327 short on calories
  • slimsuccess
    Options
    If you keep going under, you will soon stop losing all together.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I rarely even click the finish button at the end of the day. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I go under (ok, granted, being under is pretty rare!:laugh: )
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

When I first started on this site a few months ago, it was rec I eat 1280 cals
    FOR ME, that was unrealistic (and I wasn't working out at all)
    I upped my cals to 1350-1400
    I recently started walking on the treadmill and have lost 22.5 pounds
    So, try and listen to your body and if your working out...make sure you eat enough

Kim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

WOW. U get to eat that many calories and still lose weight. wtg. that is awesome

Heh, you think that's amazing, I need 2700 to maintain, 2400 if I want to lose, WITHOUT exercise.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Banks that is SO not fair, lol!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks that is SO not fair, lol!

so you say, but remember, it takes a lot of fuel to feed my SUV type body. LOL! It's a freakin gas guzzler!
  • lovesdaisies
    Options
    I was at 1200 a day for a month. I gained 5 pounds. I cut to under 1000 points (give or take 100 - sometimes I get to 1100) and I have now lost five pounds in 2 weeks. I'm working out regularly - cardio 7 days a week, plus a couple of days of circuit training (one with a trainer).

I have been on the boards before asking about the 1200 calorie thing - because I was gaining not losing - and so I finally went UNDER the 1200 and it broke my plateau. I'm hoping that I don't have to stay here forever, but for now, it's working. I have to lose 4 more pounds and then I'll be at goal.

I know, Banks, you're going to scold me. But what should I do??? The 1200 just wasn't doing it for me.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I was at 1200 a day for a month. I gained 5 pounds. I cut to under 1000 points (give or take 100 - sometimes I get to 1100) and I have now lost five pounds in 2 weeks. I'm working out regularly - cardio 7 days a week, plus a couple of days of circuit training (one with a trainer).

I have been on the boards before asking about the 1200 calorie thing - because I was gaining not losing - and so I finally went UNDER the 1200 and it broke my plateau. I'm hoping that I don't have to stay here forever, but for now, it's working. I have to lose 4 more pounds and then I'll be at goal.

I know, Banks, you're going to scold me. But what should I do??? The 1200 just wasn't doing it for me.

Not me, never! (not for something like this at least) If it works, great. As long as you're safe. I have no Idea what size you are, or how you're metabolism works, that may be just right for you, I have no clue.:laugh: I would hope, though, with a calorie count that unusually low, you will confirm your findings with a registered dietician or a doctor before going too long. Just to be safe. Loves, I'm all for tweaking once you hit a starting point, 200 cals doesn't really bother me, I'm just glad you gave 1200 a try. Just out of curiosity, what is your RMR
    or Maintenance calories? I'm shocked to think that you gained weight on 1200 calories.

By the way, I see your WW roots shining through (you said 1000 points, if only we could eat that much huh?) :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I'm sort of in the same boat. It gave me 1200 a day. I didn't gain weight at 1200 but I sure didn't lose it either. When I dropped down 100 or so, it started to kick in. It sucks that it takes so few calories to make my body lose weight. Apparently my BMR is 1400, but that sounds low to me- especially for me being 5'8".
    But I'll stick with it for now, as long as I feel better and start to look more uh compact, I'm happy.
  • lovesdaisies
    Options
    Ha! Busted, Banks!!! Yes, my WW roots are shining through! After I posted that and reread it I noticed what I did! Funny you caught it, too.

Yeah, I've been on WW for three years (I've said this a few times on these boards so I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record). Anyway, I reached goal, remained there for awhile, gained a few pounds, lost a few, gained a few, then just plateaued. Perhaps because I've stuck to "20 Points" with WW for so long, my body is just bound to eat this many calories forever. :-( I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE food. I love bad food. Good food. Junk food. All food!! But I also know that I sometimes can't say "no" so I really have to be disciplined. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Sometimes I'll give myself a cheat week where I just eat whatever I want. Then I go back to "dieting."

Regarding my height / weight...I'm 5'1". Currently weigh 115.2. My goal is 112. That's where I was for awhile, then went up to as far as 121, now I'm heading back down. I started at 144. I know I sound like a whiny baby, but seriously, the last 5 pounds is SOOOOOO hard to lose and maintain. The first 30 were fairly easy. But my body just doesn't seem to want to get back down to 112. I only want to get there because that is where I felt best.

Regarding my BMR...My BMR is 1,105 calories per day. It sort of concerns me that I'm eating UNDER that most days, but I swear it's the only way I can lose!!! My BMI is 21.8. I'd LOVE to be able to eat about 1500 calories per day to maintain. Eventually perhaps I'll get there. What would be REALLY great is to be able to just EAT without counting every ounce of food that enters my mouth. But I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to. :-(

Anyway, I'm just very happy to have this board, and community and all of you guys here to share with. I love reading everyone's posts and love to see that I'm certainly not in this alone.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Ha! Busted, Banks!!! Yes, my WW roots are shining through! After I posted that and reread it I noticed what I did! Funny you caught it, too.

Yeah, I've been on WW for three years (I've said this a few times on these boards so I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record). Anyway, I reached goal, remained there for awhile, gained a few pounds, lost a few, gained a few, then just plateaued. Perhaps because I've stuck to "20 Points" with WW for so long, my body is just bound to eat this many calories forever. :-( I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE food. I love bad food. Good food. Junk food. All food!! But I also know that I sometimes can't say "no" so I really have to be disciplined. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Sometimes I'll give myself a cheat week where I just eat whatever I want. Then I go back to "dieting."

Regarding my height / weight...I'm 5'1". Currently weigh 115.2. My goal is 112. That's where I was for awhile, then went up to as far as 121, now I'm heading back down. I started at 144. I know I sound like a whiny baby, but seriously, the last 5 pounds is SOOOOOO hard to lose and maintain. The first 30 were fairly easy. But my body just doesn't seem to want to get back down to 112. I only want to get there because that is where I felt best.

Regarding my BMR...My BMR is 1,105 calories per day. It sort of concerns me that I'm eating UNDER that most days, but I swear it's the only way I can lose!!! My BMI is 21.8. I'd LOVE to be able to eat about 1500 calories per day to maintain. Eventually perhaps I'll get there. What would be REALLY great is to be able to just EAT without counting every ounce of food that enters my mouth. But I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to. :-(

Anyway, I'm just very happy to have this board, and community and all of you guys here to share with. I love reading everyone's posts and love to see that I'm certainly not in this alone.

Well, I'm gonna give you what I think. You can choose to use it, not use it, or just disregard it, I'm not a pro so take what I'm gonna say for what it's worth. It won't offend if you choose to disregard it, everyone has their own way, but I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least give you my thoughts on it.

Firs a perspective question:
    Have you ever, even once in your life, been able to tell if someone has lost 3 lbs by looking at them or even picking them up? For that matter, do you think you'd be able to tell the difference between a 30 lb weight and a 33 lb weight? If you answer is NO (which I suspect it is) then why do you care so much about 3 lbs? Heck, I fluctuate more then that from morning to night, just in water and food weight.

I think (and this is just an opinion), that the weight you want to achieve is a mental thing. I wonder if you realize that having a BMI of 21.8 is on the LOW end of healthy. Trying to squeeze more loss out of that is a MONUMENTAL task, and not one that can realistically be expected long term.

With all that said, I'm fully convinced that you are well under the calories you need to maintain your current weight. At your BMI the only thing that is going to help is tone and muscle.
    You do realize that at your current weight, height, and age, your calories to maintain your weight should be around 1650 right? Eating 1000 calories with essentially a tiny to no fat stores is not going to help you loose weight, it's going to help you loose muscle (not good in anyone's book).
    Realistically someone your height can weigh up to 130 and still look darn good! It's all about muscle tone once you get into the low 20's of BMI.

I have posted on these topics before. Have you looked at this post yet?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

anyway, that's all I have to say on this topic. I hope I helped, if not, I hope everything works out for you.

-Banks
    Again, this is all opinion, but I've seen enough, done enough research, and talked to enough trainers to have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.
  • lovesdaisies
    Options
    You're the best, Banks. Seriously. I always love reading your posts, and I certainly value your opinion - especially when directed at me. :-)

I will always keep this in mind: "Have you ever, even once in your life, been able to tell if someone has lost 3 lbs by looking at them or even picking them up? For that matter, do you think you'd be able to tell the difference between a 30 lb weight and a 33 lb weight?" I guess I never thought of it that way! And you're right. I can fluctuate a pound and a half within an hour.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on a number, but I'm sure that I'm not alone in that. I think it was Weight Watchers that made me so dependent on my "weight." Prior to Weight Watchers, I didn't even own a scale. Of course, I was 35 pounds overweight!!! But I think there's a happy medium that I need to reach.

In the past 3 years I have really started eating healthy. Moreso than at any time in my life. I have also started exercising - working out with a trainer - and I love the way I feel being more fit. Perhaps I should just concentrate on that (eating right and exercise) rather than weighing myself. As it stands I weigh myself every morning. Sometimes twice a morning. Once when I first wake up, once after I come back from my morning walk. I realize it's an obsession, probably bordering on some sort of eating disorder. But I work on it every day.

Anyway, I'm going to take your advice to heart and try to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. I'm also going to try to only weigh myself once a week. It might help me get over the number obsession. MIGHT! :-) I REALLY should try not to weigh myself for a month. (Didn't you pose that challenge somewhere on these boards?????) That way I truly could just concentrate on living right, without worrying about the numbers that might sabotage me in the long run.

So thanks! I have taken your words to heart. :-)