EGGS.

Options
13»

Replies

• SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I bake mine. I make a big pan of eggs,spinach, ham, bell peppers, onions and cheese and bake it. Best breakfast ever!
  • brehol
    brehol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I pop mine in the microwave with a dash of milk for 30 secs, stir and nuke for another 20secs, stir again and pop onto your toast. Super quick and no added cals, out the door and on my bike in 15 minutes after I wake :-)
    I do mine this way too!

Me too! 1 whole egg 5 tbsp whites...a little rough to clean the bowl after but that's what wire scrub pads are for :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    I just use less butter. It's not about keeping them from sticking, it's about the flavor the butter adds. I can't have fried eggs any other way...
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil...its healthier!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil...its healthier!

I've been wanting to try this! I picked me up some coconut oil and have been adding some to my coffee....good stuff ;)
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray is nasty. Don't use that, use real food. Healthy fat is good for you (fat does not make you fat!). Butter is awesome, but if you want to change it up, coconut oil or lard/tallow are good too. Olive oil is for low-temp cooking only -- it converts at high temps and is no longer healthy.

I agree. If you like butter, enjoy the butter! It is real food people have been eating for generations. Spray oil is a weird invention of the American chemical-industrial complex! ;)
    Wait, what? A food science professor told me that tallow is the LEAST healthy of the natural occurring fats, and that lard is pretty bad, too. As, by the way, is coconut oil.

Olive oil can be hard to use at lower temps as it has a relatively low smoking temperature. But when that's the case, I use canola oil. Also, if you want to limit the amount of oil, pour a bit in the pan, and then use a paper towel to spread the oil and sop up any excess.

Well the professor was wrong, sorry! But at least now you know and can research it for yourself. "Authorities" are no more infallible or less prone to bias than anyone else -- it's always good to question assumptions with actual research.

Mark Sisson has a good summary on saturated fats here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/#axzz1vo6rMe5B

If you poke around his site you can find links to numerous studies on various fats. I am a research junky so I actually enjoy reading the studies. YMMV.

And of all the oils, Canola is definitely the worst. It's not food at all, it's made from a poisonous weed, converted to be nontoxic. If you are interested, here's a start:

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola
  • rockerchick81
    rockerchick81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the cholesterol though. The yellow part is FULL of it.
  • GroovyGreenGrape
    Options
    use coconut oil, it boost metbolism and u get to fry your eggs
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray is nasty. Don't use that, use real food. Healthy fat is good for you (fat does not make you fat!). Butter is awesome, but if you want to change it up, coconut oil or lard/tallow are good too. Olive oil is for low-temp cooking only -- it converts at high temps and is no longer healthy.

Yup
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I say "keep the butter, skip the toast". Add some fruit to your breakfast.

Egg, fried in butter (from pastured cows is BEST) and a bunch of fruit. SO filling and yummy!
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You fry your eggs? I've never even heard of doing that!

I just put a drop of olive oil in the pan (sometimes) and swirl it around to coat the pan and then toss in the scrambled eggs (seasoned with salt/pepper)

^^This
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Yup

Just a question, what does it convert to? Also, eggs cook best at lower temps anyway so olive oil would be fine :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Microwave them
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    1 tablespoon smart balance in a Caphalon non-stick pan. Stay away from the cheap non-stick pans - they might be more likely to emit chemicals from the coating.
  • honeybee3917
    honeybee3917 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also fry my eggs in the morning. For those asking it is an overeasy egg essentially. Fried on both sides but the yolk stays runny. I use the Trader Joe's canola oil and it works and tastes great!