Explain this one....

Options
Ok... I don't understand this one! I measured myself today cause it's been a month now. Well, I have only lost 1 inch off my waist, 1/2 inch off my hips, and 2 inches off my thighs! BUT when I look in the mirror, it looks like more! I don't understand how my belly can look smaller but only be about an inch smaller! I have lost 9 pounds and it's been about 6 weeks since I've started eating better and exercising. I would of just thought that with me looking a bit slimmer that I would have lost more inches! Another thing is, I thought that when you give up soda and sugary drinks, you would lose more! I only drink water (well and a cup of coffee and lemon water in the morning)! I also try to eat better. Most days, I stay within 1200 calories. BTW, my waist now is 36 inches, my hips are 40 inches, and my thighs are 23 inches. I'm 5'2 and weigh 147. I would love to get to 120 with a waist size of 28 inches. Or maybe even 30 inches.

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses differently. Looks like you are losing all over since you are losing some inches in different areas, so how you look may have to do with proportions. Also, the weight is probably coming off in places you don't measure such as face, fingers, ankles etc. Be happy you are losing inches and pounds. It takes time and committment to do this and it looks like you are off to a great start!
  • blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? I noticed I lost weight but not the inches I thought and my trainer told me it was totally normal to have that happen because I didn't have tons of weight to lose and my muscles were firming as my fat was slowly disipating.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You can look smaller because you tone up more.

And.........it didn't take overnight to put the weight on......even cutting out soda, it's not going to be overnight for it to fall off. ;)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you've had a very successful month! You've lost nine pounds and several inches and think you look even better than you'd expect for that, plus you've improved your diet. You're forcing yourself to find negatives where there aren't any. Allow yourself to recognize that you've done very well and give yourself a pat on the back.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? I noticed I lost weight but not the inches I thought and my trainer told me it was totally normal to have that happen because I didn't have tons of weight to lose and my muscles were firming as my fat was slowly disipating.

I do Leslie Sansone's 4 Fast Miles dvd. It's 50 mins long and has intervals. It REALLY works your legs! Lots of kicks and knee lifts. I also do some strength training during the week. I like Chris Freytag's videos as well. It's funny cause I never thought that I could lose weight and get in shape with walk at home dvds. BUT her dvds really give you a good workout. You can also increase intensity as you progress. :) I have tons of workout dvds that I have purchased over the years but I tend to go for Leslie's and Chris Freytag's.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Bump
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    You are also building muscle and things are moving around a little (in a good way). Your body is shaping as you are working out because of he muscle you are building. Everyone is different and our bodies do not react the same as the person next to us. Our bodies also don't react the same as we get older. You're making progress and that is hopefully making you feel good no matter where you think you should be. Good luck and keep up the good work you are doing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    An in is a pretty big difference. You might think "Oh its only an inch!" but than one inch makes a HUGE difference. ;)
  • chris1529
    Options
    I am happy with my progress BUT I am also pretty impatient lol. I thought that you were supposed to lose 2 pounds a week if you are working hard. That means that I should of lost atleast 12 pounds by now. BUT I do realize that everybody is different and that the 2 pound a week rule doesn't always apply. Honestly, of course I want to lose weight and look nice BUT I also want to work at getting in shape and having more energy. I am tired a lot. And yes, I have already had my thyroid checked. I just had a complete blood work done and everything came back good. Maybe I was just expecting more inches off my belly. I look like I'm pregnant and I'm not! Maybe I just need to be more patient and RELAX lol. :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Sounds like you are on your way!
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    An in is a pretty big difference. You might think "Oh its only an inch!" but than one inch makes a HUGE difference. ;)

Yup this is very true!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You might be losing weight in the areas that aren't typical for measurements! Nothing wrong with slimming down all over :)
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You might not be losing weight as fast as you think you should because you're only eating 1200 cals. If you're doing a 50 minute leg workout you're probably burning lots of cals, and if you're not eating them back you're hurting yourself big time.
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I understand being impatient- it's my middle name! But 9 lbs in 6 weeks is GREAT!!! And 2 lbs a week is A LOT!!! There are many health professionals who sugguest losing a pound a month, so you're doing WONDERFUL!!! I get discouraged too, but think of how much better you feel and look to YOU, which is the only person who can make you feel good about you. :D Well done and keep up the good work!!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am happy with my progress

Stop there, repeat! And yes, you definitely need to be more patient! It's a hard lesson to learn, especially the way we live today where everything is at our fingertips so we're used to immediate satisfaction.

As far as the 2 pounds per week goes...that might be easy for someone who's got 75+ pounds to lose but for someone like you, 1/2 to 1 pound per week is a much more healthy and realistic rate of weight loss.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I am happy with my progress BUT I am also pretty impatient lol. I thought that you were supposed to lose 2 pounds a week if you are working hard. That means that I should of lost atleast 12 pounds by now. BUT I do realize that everybody is different and that the 2 pound a week rule doesn't always apply.
    The thing is, it's NOT a rule, not by any means. It's not meant to prescribe what will happen; it's really more of a cap or way to illustrate a realistic expectation (often in the context of "healthy weight loss is generally UP TO two pounds per week").
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you've been exercising, it could be that you are firmer, in which case you will look better than if you were flabby and at the same size. It could be that your tummy has flattened making your waist look smaller than it is.

Giving up soda or sugar will only make you lose more if it means you drop your calorie count more. A sugar calorie doesn't make you lose more slowly than a protein or fat calorie.

I would suggest that you are doing a great job and should keep doing what you are doing because, as you said, you look smaller. And isn't that really the point of all this?
  • akiss4u2tam
    akiss4u2tam Posts: 50
    Options
    you are building muscle
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What is your chest measurement?

Perhaps the issue is proportion?

If you are toning your muscles, your chest & shoulders in relation to your waist & hips may show a more visual difference than the tape measure shows?
  • chris1529
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement! :) I guess you're right. I am toning in some areas. Just hoping to get to my goal by summer time. I want to lose 27 more pounds and of course more inches!