breastfeeding ladies!!

Options
How n what are you ladies doing while breastfeeding?? im breastfeeding and wanna get a plan going but wanted to know what has been working for you ladies so any advice/tips are welcomed and appriciated.
thanks, Ashley

Replies

• smclean
    smclean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I added it as a cardiovascular workout that burns about 500 calories a day (a conservative estimate) and I add that in as an exercise each day
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You can also add breastfeeding calories in your food tracker. There is an entry that will add so many calories based on how much you breastfeed.
  • MELISALAN
    MELISALAN Posts: 1
    Options
    Right so it add calories, but not protein or carbs....where are the extra calories supposed to come from? At the end of the day, I seem to have calories left, but go over with protein, etc. Does anyone know how many carbs/ protein/ fat are needed while breastfeeding?
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Right so it add calories, but not protein or carbs....where are the extra calories supposed to come from? At the end of the day, I seem to have calories left, but go over with protein, etc. Does anyone know how many carbs/ protein/ fat are needed while breastfeeding?

i stopped breastfeeding a month ago, and i had the same problem with the 'empty calories' and so i decided to add it as exercise,
  • ampgsp03
    ampgsp03 Posts: 20
    Options
    so you guys are adding breastfeeding under exercise? how do you do that?
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    MFP is under on it's recommendation for protein. I have heard several people here, and my own trainer tell me you want to eat as many protein calories as you want to weigh. So if you want to weigh 130 pounds, eat 130 g of protein. It's A LOT and I couldn't ever do it, but it's a good thing to aim for.

Also, remember your fluid intake is super important with BFing. If you don't keep up on water, exercising can affect your supply.

Your baby will sometimes notice a 'change' in the taste of your breast milk when you start exercising.

I definitely recommend adding at least 500 calories in while you're nursing. There are entries under the food section that will 'add' 500 for you.
  • setolley
    setolley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just go to "My Exercies" and then "Add Exercise". Just make up a time frame (say 60 mins) for burning 400 cal (I put 400 because my son is 14 mos but still nurses A LOT, so it was just an estimate). Then it will be saved under "My Exercises". I just did it!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    La Leche League has an article with some good information for you.
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html

How old is your nursling? How many times a day are your breastfeeding? Do you ever supplement with formula? All of those will go into deciding how many extra calories to eat while breastfeeding.
    Make sure you stay hydrated, and aim to lose a lb at week at most while breastfeeding (once baby is 2 months old). Losing more weight than that can lead to a decrease in your milk supply.
  • JessDaniC
    JessDaniC Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been working out since February and it hasn't affected my supply too much. Recently I started the weaning process though. I have a great supply of milk built up in the freezer and it needs used. I plan on nursing in the morning and at night for a while once I get down to that point. Then take it from there. But other than that, exercise hasn't affected anything as long as I keep drinking massive amounts of water.