Ummm.... Since when is the elliptical "not good"???..

Options
I came across a few comments on women saying if you want to tone your rump stay off the elliptical... I'm confused now... Thought the ellpitical was a good machine for toning the back door?... :indifferent:

Replies

• TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I thought the stairs and donkey kicks were the best
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know there are better exercises for the bum, but why would the elliptical not only not work, but supposably be bad for your bum?..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It toned mine just fine. Don't believe everything you see on these boards. Some people are just nuts!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is fine. I use it all the time. Great calorie burn in less time than most machines. It's a very low impact exercise and not back for your back side!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical for about a year and my toosh looks great! But i also focus on my butt when im on it... every stride i squeeze my glute muscles.... but i think for a more effective rump work out...squats, donkey kicks, stairs would probably be better.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't like the elliptical because it isn't a 'natural' movement. It doesn't help you climb stairs, jump, run faster, whatever. It just makes you better at the elliptical.

*Back door is NOT your butt... its the hole. Just so you know. That gave me a great laugh. ''Tone your back door"

BAHGAHAHHA
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It burns calories and helps you create a caloric deficit. The calorie deficit helps you to lose weight and this will help you "tone".

Add in squats if you want the end result to look bootytastic.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It burns calories and helps you create a caloric deficit. The calorie deficit helps you to lose weight and this will help you "tone".

Agreed, if you aint squatting. You are doing your booty a disservice.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Back door... LMAO

I can't stand the elliptical, but only because my stride seems to be much longer than the elliptical and my feet go numb.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is better than sitting on the couch.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options

That too
  • _TWLOHA_
    _TWLOHA_ Posts: 26
    Options
    I had a nice bum when I used the elliptical daily. To each there own. I love the elliptical.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

However, if you go from sitting on the couch, with your chest forward, feet flat on the floor and head up to standing, then seated again, dozens of times a day, that is even butter for your rump.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    *Back door is NOT your butt... its the hole. Just so you know. That gave me a great laugh. ''Tone your back door"
    ^THIS
    Back door! Crack me up!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options

For real.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The worst thing for your butt is listening to advice on these boards and believing all of it....

People on here are throwing out way too much inaccurate info. I do the elliptical a lot and ALWAYS can feel it working my butt!!
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options

However, if you go from sitting on the couch, with your chest forward, feet flat on the floor and head up to standing, then seated again, dozens of times a day, that is even butter for your rump.

Nice, haha. Yes squats are booty shaping magic
  • gtamomof2
    gtamomof2 Posts: 27
    Options

Agreed, if you aint squatting. You are doing your booty a disservice.

Any suggestions for those of us who want to get rid of the booty, but are not able to physically do squats? (not medically cleared due to osteoarthritis in my knee)

And I had no idea that an elliptical would be "bad" in any way... I gotta get me one I think!
  • jamanning28
    jamanning28 Posts: 15
    Options
    Back door... LMAO

I can't stand the elliptical, but only because my stride seems to be much longer than the elliptical and my feet go numb.

I thought maybe my body was just weird, but my feet go numb about 20 minutes into the elliptical time too.... wonder what that's about.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get great toning and burn on the elliptical. It's joint friendly so I'm not in agony days later. I have 30 different workout programs on it for resistance and incline and I usually alternate going front to back. I've found here that EVERYONE has an opinion, what works "best" for some does not for others. Doesn't make your way wrong, just YOUR way! It's your weight loss journey, your lifestyle change, figure out what works best for you and do it.