Halloween candy

Options
Okay, so I went and got a ton of Halloween candy so I don't have to do the last minute rush thing, and now I'm starting to worry. I've got 4 kids, and candy is inevitable, so I'm wondering what other people are planning to do in regards to Halloween. I'm kind of worried that if I have even one piece of candy, then all is lost, but I'm also worried about overeating with other foods to try and keep myself from eating the candy that I really want, and then giving in at the end anyway, because I have a tendency to do that. I've been really good so far, weighing my options and choosing healthy instead of decadent, but a woman can only deal with so much temptation in the way of CHOCOLATE!! Any great solutions out there, plans? This would kind of apply to all of the holidays coming up too, since they just slam you one month after the other this time of year.

268332.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat a couple of Hershey Chocolate Bliss each day if I want. Some days I do and some I dont. That way I am not tempted by other candy. I have a drawer full of chocolate candy in my fridge right now that does not even tempt me. The bliss is dark chocolate and is very satisfying. This helps me hope it will help you. I really LOVE chocolate.
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    My plan is to allow myself up to 10 small size tootsie rolls! I will still get my treat, and they're chocolate and sweet but also it takes a while to chew so you can enjoy each one longer. When it comes to Thanksgiving and christmas...i'm going to eat whatever I want and just pay close attention to my stomach...when it seems like i'm just getting satisfied I will stop eating and leave room to also be able to enjoy dessert in a small portion. Those two holidays are big with my family and it's going to be hard this year for me to NOT make candy, especially fudge...but I think that all the days leading up to the holidays will be easier if I KNOW that on the holidays themselves I can have whatever! And I know that on those days, I will go WAY over on my calories...but I know it won't effect me too much!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I buy the candy the day before or day of Halloween. This limits what's available and it's often stuff I don't even like. So that helps.

Then, I make a plan for what I will and won't allow myself to eat.

Finally, whatever I do eat, I journal and make sure that, even if I may go over my sugar or carb or fat allotment, at least I don't go over my calorie allotment.

Oh, and if there is candy leftover, I make my husband take it work. I don't take it to my work. :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on buying any Halloween candy. If I had it in the house, I would eat it for sure. I'll take my daughter trick-or-treating if she wants to go (she's 14), or we'll dress up and hit the mall and a movie. If she choses trick or treating...well, that won't be good for any of us. lol We'll have a one night treat-fest, and the rest we will give to a neighbour.
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    I used to have a lot of trouble avoiding the unhealthy foods I liked. Somehow I just kept telling myself it didn't taste as good as I thought it did in my mind. And when I did have a treat due to a fall to temptation, it truthfully didn't taste as good simply because I felt guilty. Now they usually just don't taste as amazing to me. I rather have something that I know if healthier, and still satisfying.

On a psychological level anywho, that's what I'd suggest.

Because really, it's not -that- good;; Just think about those times you've overbinged on a certain unhealthy food and how physically sick you felt after. Just think of that feeling.
    It's not a good feeling. And that's exactly what you'll be feeling if you overindulge.

Treating yourself is fine, but remember, not too much.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I just don't plan on having any in the house. We'll take the kids ToT so we won't be home anyway.
    You could do what a nice lady across the street did when i was a kid...give out fruit! Bananas, Apples, and Oranges.

But you're talking to the guy who has given out cough drops, beer (for the parents), and Mt Dew for Halloween before.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm going to eat candy and eat exactly what I want. If I deny myself anything at all it'll just backfire. The catch: 8pm-midnight I can kick back and relax infront of the tv and eat at my leisure but at midnight all that crap hits the trash can. I never keep junk in the house....because if it's here I will eat it. I only have self control at the grocery.
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    ok...coming from the girl that has been FREEEEEAKING out about not running to the store and grabbing 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's Ice cream lol (usually when I crave it that bad its hormonal and almost uncontrollable) however, i did eat Breyers Chocolate Carbsmart Ice Cream 1 1/2 cups about 3 servings, and then I had two low carb ice cream bars that was about 400 calories overall because I was having a sugar/carb bing melt down, I can promise you that 400 calories is a far cry better than at the least 1400 calories, or even worse with two pints 2800-3000 EXTRA CALORIES that could have very easily been disasterious!!! So..what I am saying is, go get yourself some low carb ice cream a big bowl and if it takes half of a quart sized tub that would only be 570 calories!! If you decided to have a candy binge just like my B&J's bing you can well see it would be a complete disaster in a quick hurry ending in guilt and remorse! Don't do that to yourself, why when you don't have to? (Save it for once a week, grab a few pieces of the candy that you like and have a small "ONE-TIME" stash) then you have something to look forward to once a week, grab 10 mini peanut butter cups or something like that and then go and hide in your closet in the floor and have some quite time and reward yourself, you can enjoy every minute of your little once a week treat without kids, or husbands, or phones bothering you! Hope I helped lol!!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I say just make sure you log in exactly what you eat AS or BEFORE you eat it. Once you see the amt of cals going up, you should be able to know when to stop (two or three pieces). Once I see the numbers going up and visualize my dinner getting smaller, that's enough for me.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I already bought the candy, only the stuff I like of course (how screwy is that). I think I will incorporate a few of the ideas here. Make sure that I give it all away, then when my kids offer me some of theirs, maybe I'll keep it for Fridays, or a day that I've done some extra exercise and can have an extra treat without feeling too guilty. Chocolate has always been a vice for me, so to lose weight I've had to get it completely out of the house, can't get it for the kids because I'll eat that too, it's an addiction for me!! In years past I'd have to buy halloween candy twice because the first time I'd get it early and then eat almost all of it, so then I'd go get the stuff left on the shelves the day before that I didn't like. :embarassed: At least this year it's been in the house over a week, and it's still there!! Yay me, maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit. I may just decide to do an extra workout that day so that I can relax at the halloween party, but I totally think that logging the candy before the party is a good idea and then take a little note with what candy/calories I've logged, so that I don't go nuts! Thanks again for the advice :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    We buy pretzels (mini bags) to give out and my daughter only gets to keep 1/2 of what she collects and takes the rest to her dentist to get prize tokens to use in their vending machines.
    We don't keep any candy in our house and I rarely ever buy any. My teeth hurt just thinking about all the sugar.