Ummm.... Since when is the elliptical "not good"???..

Options

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    It's not bad just boring as %*$#.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I'm afraid you're going about it all wrong if you want to tone your back door.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Cardio alone isn't going to really give you the results you're looking for, regardless of what you're doing. Personally, I don't like the elliptical because it's an awkward motion for me (I much prefer running and the dreaded stairmaster), but if you're burning calories and you enjoy it, it's a great form of cardiovascular exercise. Beats doing nothing!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Lets keep it simple. The elliptical is a cardio exercise, just like being on the treadmill. Cardio burns calories. Burning calories is good for getting fat off you, if you're eating correctly and enough food. So, elliptical is good for weightloss which will make your butt more visible. Elliptical is not bad. I personally just walk on the treadmill at an incline instead of the elliptical because I can not stand the elliptical.

Doing squats, lunges, and *kitten* exercises build muscle in the butt and will give that booty looking like it should, HOT! :)

So....you need both cardio AND weights.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Anything that works you out and utilizes your legs will eventually help to tone it up... but maybe those people are saying its bad because they think the results aren't fast enough? Squats, lunges, donkey kicks, stairs... all those do it faster, but to each their own. There is nothing wrong with the elliptical.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's not that they're "not good". Just that other things may be better. If you're looking for definition in your glutes the elliptical isn't the best way to go. But an elliptical sure beats doing nothing.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    lol I really try not to believe everything I read in here. That's why I posted this because to me it seemed a little absurd. And thanks for all the responses. I now feel confident about staying with the elliptical. I do squats to but usually on other days. Should I do squats during the same workout?..
  • akiss4u2tam
    akiss4u2tam Posts: 50
    Options
    Well.........my buns look great.... at least that's what my husband and trainer says... and I work them out on the elliptical!!!! The stair climber is good as well.........
  • akiss4u2tam
    akiss4u2tam Posts: 50
    Options
    Mix up your routine... keep the muscles guessing....
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is the best for me on my off running days. I still get the cardio, but no impact. I don't have a pool available otherwise I'd be in there 24/7. There's a machine similar to an elliptical at my gym...can't think of the name, but its not an arc trainer. It has a "Glute Kicker" program you can choose. It works pretty well.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    By back door I totally didn''t mean.... Yeah never mind. LMAO
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Back door... LMAO

I can't stand the elliptical, but only because my stride seems to be much longer than the elliptical and my feet go numb.

I thought maybe my body was just weird, but my feet go numb about 20 minutes into the elliptical time too.... wonder what that's about.

Mine used to do that. Then i don't know if my endurance got better or my feet got used to running, but I don't feel it anymore.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    I do mix up my workouts. I don't only use the elliptical I was just wondering why people had beef with it. Thanks again everyone. :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the incline you do. If you want to tone your rear though, you'll likely have to do more than just the elliptical though, since eventually your body will adapt to that.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Just keep the RESISTANCE up, and you will tone your rump!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know there are better exercises for the bum, but why would the elliptical not only not work, but supposably be bad for your bum?..

For cardio purposes the elliptical is okay but I'd say a Stairmill / Stairmaster is far better. As for toning your butt, strength training is best for that.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    I haven't tried the stairmaster. I'm gonna give that a go the next time I go to the gym.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    "toning" isnt real, either.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the stairmaster. I'm gonna give that a go the next time I go to the gym.

My legs are all-around better since I started doing stairs for cardio. I occasionally do HIIT on the elliptical but the stairmill is usually my preferred choice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for those of us who want to get rid of the booty, but are not able to physically do squats? (not medically cleared due to osteoarthritis in my knee)

I'm going to guess that you probably are not cleared for lunges then either, which make my bum burn more than squats. But you should be able to do donkey kicks. And I have no idea what these are called, but a great bum tightener is to lay on your back, feet flat and knees bent. Raise your booty and squeeze your glutes as you do. Do several reps raising and lowering back to the floor, then hold in the raised position for a moment, and do tiny reps where you don't lower all the way down. Rest, stretch and repeat as many times as you want/can. You will feel it.