My company likes to reward with food

Options
I have been working for a great company with awesome benefits for a little over a year and I love it, but..They are constantly rewarding our accomplishments with food. Cookouts, Doughnuts, cakes, and catering. The administration almost take offense if I don't join in.

Anybody else have this issue? How do you cope?

Replies

• surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    Underachieve
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've had that before. I always still join in, but eat a very small sampling of things. That way people don't think you're not part of the team.

Sounds like a nice place to work.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! We get catered events and goodies brought in all the time. On top of that, they promote a Wellness Program and running a Biggest Loser Contest. Talk about a mixed message!

If I know in advance, I plan my calories accordingly. If it's a surprise, and not a single healthy option is offered, I politely decline.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We have breakfast brought in every day. I always bring my own breakfast.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Underachieve

This is also an option :laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Underachieve

Its a win-win-win situation :)
  • cheersbethani
    cheersbethani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that does the same thing.

What I do is participate, but bring my own "treat" if what is being offered is no way considered healthy.
    But like cook outs and catering, depending what is being cooked, you can still eat what is being served you just have to be smarter about what your select.

For example: hamburgers - i only eat the patty with veggies. no bread, no cheese.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Make a suggestion for healthy choices to be added ... like fruit
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like to have everything in moderation. I know if i'm really good the rest of the day/week then once (small) piece of cake or cookie won't derail my goals for the week. Also, if I know I have eaten things that aren't the healthiest I just work extra hard/a few extra minutes in the gym.

Remember just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. If someone ever say anything about me not eating I just make a joke out of it. Like "I only get 1200 calories a day...that dounut is more than 1/2 my daily calorie goal".

I know it's hard sometimes but good luck and you can do it! :)
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Stay away from the pastries and have a moderate portion on the rest.
  • Strawberrypop
    Strawberrypop Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get this every so often too. Last week we got sent a huge box full of tins of M&S chocolatey biscuits and chocs to share for all our good work, and that can happen every so often. I've decided that if it happens then I'll treat myself to one thing..that way I'm still enjoying what everyone else is, but not going crazy. Just make what you've eaten work into your calories for that day, and if you go over a little..well..so what? Life's too short to completely cut out little pleasures in life! :)
  • YankeesLvr52
    YankeesLvr52 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My company provides free snacks daily (all very fattening) as well as frequent food-related functions. I attend, but either just don't partake in the food offerings or just eat how much ever fits into my calorie count for the day. Sometimes I bring along my own lunch or snack and just explain that I am watching my boyish figure.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's an issue at my work, but the administration doesn't push it necessarily, it just seems that everything centers around food.

I'd go talk to someone in HR. If you're not looking to change things, tell them that upfront, but let them know it makes you feel uncomfortable and see if they can articulate your concerns to your bosses so that the understand that you're just trying to take care of yourself, not ruin everyone's fun.

Personally, I wouldn't try to change the system... just figure out a way that you fit into it more comfortably.

I eat a low GI diet during the week most of the time. I'm not insulin resistant or pre-diabetic, but it's just my way of maintaining control while I'm at work. I just tell people, sorry, I'm on a low GI diet right now. Most people's eyes glaze over and they leave it at that. The only issue with that approach is that you can't waiver. My friends from work know that I eat like that during the week but I'll still have a beer at Friday happy hour and they're fine with it, but your bosses might take that behaviour as a slap in the face.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
    Jen
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Oh wow, this is EXACTLY my place of work. They constantly are catering and do so at least ten times a year if not more. As of late, I would just not attend the luncheon unless a special speech was to be made that I need to hear, LOL. Definitely feel your pain.
  • dawsenahalsey
    Options
    I don't have that issue but i work as a cook and its mostly all not so healthy stuff so i try hard to find stuff that is and a lot of times I'm sol but i do have a suggestion maybe it will help tell them you would be more eager to go if they had more healthy selections for you to choose from at the cook outs. hope that will help :smile:
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes... we do too. My boss goes to Costco and buys every junk food box he can find. I've got a good
    relationship with him so often I will say, "thanks so much for the goodies, did you buy some fruit too
    for the girls watching what they eat -- we've sworn those high sugar items OFF ??"..

The last few trips -- he has been buying these health bars and pears or apples -- and no calorie
    drinks !!! Then we thank him for not bringing in all those tempting goodies
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In 10 minutes my company is "rewarding" us with pizza party. When I mentioned that Im trying to eat healthy, I was told "There will be pasta salad too" ...like thats any better?!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love your first response. Sarcasm aside, I would go and make sure to eat before. They will have something you can eat-- grilled chicken, vegetarian hot dog, something. Eat that and don't indulge in anything else. Yes, it takes willpower, yes you will mess up.

You could always work out really hard in anticipation of an event, too.

GL! Sounds like a great place to work to me. :)
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In 10 minutes my company is "rewarding" us with pizza party. When I mentioned that Im trying to eat healthy, I was told "There will be pasta salad too" ...like thats any better?!

LMAO.... Oh yeah... pasta salad !!! NOT
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I own my own company and, in addition to other rewards, I bring in various treats for my employees... we have lunch brought in once per month from varying restaurants, have bake-to-order cookies to raise money for a cancer hospital, etc. I know I try to make sure some healthy stuff is brought in whenever we order in lunch (certainly for me to eat!), but I do know that, if one of my employees spoke to me about it, I'd certainly do my best to make sure there was always something healthy around and/or begin working in some other types of rewards so it wasn't always food. Are you close enough with those in charge to float those ideas by them, while still being grateful for their current offerings? I'd hate to think I was causing anyone to struggle... now you have me thinking! :ohwell: