Walking on treadmill - lower legs bigger

Options
Ok, I have been walking on my treadmill for almost a month now - taken 3 rest days. I walk anywhere from 2.8 mph - 3.5 mph for an hour or more each day (6 days a week). Most of the time with a 3% incline - 8% incline. I noticed the other day that my lower legs are bigger than before I started exercising. Now, I have read that walking will not make your calf muscles get bigger. My lower legs used to be flabby and smaller but now they are solid and bigger; my knee high boots are too tight. I noticed when wearing heals that the legs are more toned from the knee down. So, if walking doesnt make my lower legs (calf muslces) bigger than what is going on? I should also add that I am seeing a lot of inches falling off all over my body and my clothes are getting huge but the scale hasnt moved more than 4 pounds lost in those 28 days. I am doing Weight Watchers so I know I am getting enough to eat etc...

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that you have just started exercising? What you're experiencing is the newbie effect, where it will seem as though you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, giving a more "toned" appearance.
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert but from what I have read the greater the incline the more it will build your calves. My calves are already big and I don't need them to get any bigger. toned is fine, smaller is fine, bigger is not. I ride horses and have half chaps and boots they need to fit into. I'm keeping the incline down (2% usually) on my treadmill and so far have not gained but actually lost a little bit on my calves.
  • jandv1991
    jandv1991 Posts: 19
    Options
    Kenny, that does make sense actually; maybe they have not gotten bigger, just firmer? I have been really working out about a month so more or less a newbie...
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why don't you measure them? If you didn't take measurements you can't compare, but in another few weeks you'll be able to know for certain whether or not their actually increasing in size, over just firming up.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Kenny, that does make sense actually; maybe they have not gotten bigger, just firmer? I have been really working out about a month so more or less a newbie...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html