Alcohol-how much?

Options
Hello everyone,

Im just wondering how much alcohol is hindering my weight loss. I have a drink most nights usually 2-3 glasses of wine or 5 bottles of beer (too much i know), would that be whats hindering my weight loss?

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Im just wondering how much alcohol is hindering my weight loss. I have a drink most nights usually 2-3 glasses of wine or 5 bottles of beer (too much i know), would that be whats hindering my weight loss?

The wine is a better choice if your goal is weight loss. Beer is wonderful stuff, but the good stuff is carb-heavy and the low carb beer sucks.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

The wine is a better choice if your goal is weight loss. Beer is wonderful stuff, but the good stuff is carb-heavy and the low carb beer sucks.

I'd have to agree. I think it helps to cut back on drinking, especially 5 beers a night??? Try slowly cutting back, try 5 nights this week, 4 nights next week, then 3 and then 2. You can certainly still drink, but I know I lost faster when I wasn't drinking*.

ETA: *(as much) :drinker:
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are you counting the calories towards your goal? If you are, you're probably not getting the nutrients you need (2-3 glasses of wine or 5 beers can be what, 400-900 calories a day? That doesn't leave a lot of other calories for the good stuff!) If you're not counting it at all, then you're probably consuming more calories than you think you are.

If you really want to drink every night, I recommend choosing a new go-to drink: http://getdrunknotfat.com/ Wine and beer have a lot higher calories to alcohol ratio than other drinks. Try something lower calorie.

Or, if it just has to be wine and beer, try cutting back a few nights a week. Your waistline will thank you, and your liver might too.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    REad this and you will reconsider every single drop of alcohol you put to your lips - if you are SERIOUS about losing weight that is...

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/alcohol-metabolism-and-effects-on-weight-loss/
  • lemosop
    lemosop Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes. That much alcohol likely contributes to problems losing weight.

Here's how I avoid drinking:
    - have a seriously low alcohol tolerance
    - go to the gym at 7 in the morning with a trainer who will relentlessly make fun of me if I'm slow
    - live 20 minutes outside of an urban centre and drive everywhere

In addition to wine or beer not being the most nutritious beverage, it seems when people drink they also tend to eat more and unhealthily. Plus, consider the amount of sugar in all alcoholic drinks; wine included.