Camping weekend diet help?

Options
I'm going to be going camping this weekend which used to mean eating smores and pudgy pies until I was stuffed. This year I can't do that or else I'm going to look like the Marshmallow Man...not a good look for me. lol Any suggestions for good meals to make around a campfire that are healthy and delicious?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    fish and chicken are super easy to grill and of course healthy and low calorie. I've been grilling LOTS of veggies lately.....toss in a little olive oil and garlic and it makes almost anything good. :)

I eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfast and that is a good camping food, too.

I've been trying a lot of different bars lately and am really into Larabars and Raw Revolution bars and the Clif Mojo bars. All great snacky food, and all have chocolate flavors of some sort so you can get your "candy" fix if you need it.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I camp frequently. Some of my staples:

Hobo/Tinfoil Dinners (Lean mean, veggies, seasoning in foil- cooked in campfire About 45 mins usually).
    Marinated Chicken Breasts/Tenderloins- grill them and serve with salad/fruit. I stick them in ziplock with marinate before leaving. BBQ sauce is great. Teriyaki works, I have used some homemade marinades as well.
    Turkey Sands- Wheat Bread/Buns and turkey. I usually keep fresh fruit/Baby Carrots/ Celery for sides. Great for lunch.
    Turkey Burgers with ThinWhich Buns.
    Turkey Brats/Sausages grilled up with Peppers/Onions. Others can just have them as hotdogs as well.
    Oatmeal for breakfast w/berries/fruit. Easy to just heat water and add to instant oatmeal
    Cold cereal and Fat Free Milk.
    Turkey Sausages and Eggs on the griddle if you have a camping stove available. I just do the eggs in the carton for ease of transport.

I usually cut a big bowl of fruit and stick it in the cooler. It lasts for a few meals/snacks. I grill veggies in foil for sides a lot. I cut them up and put them in ziplock bags before leaving. Green Salads are easy to put together.

Its really pretty similar to how I eat at home.

And since you are camping... Make sure you eat at least one S'more. I always do.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    omelet in a bag get a zip lock bag that has the actual zipper thing on it put everything in it you would normally put in an omelet and then stick it in a pot of water that is boiling over the fire and boil till finished. Go to the girlscout website and they actually have a bunch of healthy camping recipies
  • deek22
    deek22 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with Ted. I have just started my weight loss...again. But when we camp I make about the same things that he suggested. The sandwiches can be made in the pudgy pie maker. Don't skip the smore just take an extra walk on one of the days. The eggs in the zip lock are always a big hit with adults and kids. High protein low fat. Good luck :)
  • tayca9174
    tayca9174 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I can't wait to go tomorrow and enjoy this amazing weather! I will also be bringing my laptop so I can STILL do P90X while I'm camping...