Women weight training?

Options

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    On the days I lift I don't do a cardio warm-up - I do a bunch of dynamic stretches and will spend some time doing spot things before lifting...i.e. if I am going to do strict or push presses I do some extra dynamic stretches on my arms...if I am going to be doing some squats I'll warm up with some squats and lunges.

Cardio definately after weights - you need all the energy you have for the weights first
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I might try your Dad's method for a week or two. You don't have to do cardio every day, you get results not when you switch things up. Try weight training one day/cardio the next and see if it shocks your body. You can over train. I get "dunked" to test my body fat twice a year and while training for the Chicago marathon I jumped from 17% body fat to 21% my trainer said I was over training and burning muscle. I admit I thought he was crazy but as soon as we took my workouts down, I went back to 17%! If it doesn't work for you you can add the cardio back in later.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Noooo cardio before weights. You warm up quickly, but you can warm up doing -anything-. You want to save the exertion for the actual weight lifting... you quickly use your glycogen stores lifting and then when you do cardio you are actually using fat stores for energy. If you do it the other way your lifts will suffer.

There are lots of awesome, awesome, awesome weightlifting success story photos. I hope they chime in because they are so-damn-inspiring!

I totally agree! Lift, then cardio.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Whichever way you'll stick with it and not get hurt.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've heard people (maybe it was helloitsdan?) saying not to do cardio on weight days. if you're trying to build muscle, you need protein and calories to do that. Cardio is for burning calories so you're just taking stuff away that your muscles want so they can repair themselves and make more muscle.

I am not an expert myself... but remember reading this from someone who knew his stuff...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity you plan on going at weights with. If you plan on doing heavy lifting then you should not do your cardio and weight training in a single session. The cardio you do on weight training days should be moderate intensity but longer duration and should be a good 4-5 hours before or after your weight training session.

When I say lifting heavy, I mean hitting failure in single digit rep numbers.
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    As most have mentioned definitely don't do any cardio before weight training. Do cardio on a separate day on its own. You need every available ounce of energy to weight train to the maximum, otherwise you will not be getting the most from your workout and results will take a lot longer to achieve. The aim of the weight training is to "break" the muscle fibres, so when they re-grow back they grow back stronger and more muscle is developed. If you do cardio before commencing weight training you will have less energy available to do the "breaking" phase of the muscle fibres.

As mentioned, you also want to aim to lift heavy (as long as is comfortable), and keep going until you can't do any more (muscle failure), ideally with a heavy enough weight limiting you to doing no more than 12 repetitions. You want to keep the repetitions low, and the weight heavy.

Always have a rest day after weight training, to allow the "re-growing" of the muscle fibres.

Also, if possible, eat plenty of carbs before your workout, as a source of energy, and a mixture of carbs and protein following the workout, carbs to replenish the lost energy, and protein for your muscles' re-growth. And plenty of rest afterwords.

The more muscle you develop long term the more calories your body will effectively burn in normal daily activity.

Heavy weight lifting is one of the most effective ways to burn calories. Weight training is known to burn twice the amount of calories that cardio does.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    well cardio before weight training i guest and it will be successful if you have the dumbbells that suites your need check this they can help you bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    cardio can be used as a warm up (5-10 minutes)
    then lifting
    then if you want to more cardio

but it's not really necesarry, you can do cardio every other day on non lifting days

if you decide to do it every day, I recommend low intensity (walking, biking leasure peace) after lifting, and moderate (running, spinning) on non lifting days

This is the closest you'll get to the 'right' answer.

The proper proper right answer is to do the thing you value most first - you need to work out your priorities. But if, on a lifting day, your priority is lifting, then what's been suggested here is right.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Heavy weight lifting is one of the most effective ways to burn calories. Weight training is known to burn twice the amount of calories that cardio does.

Measured how, and 'known' by whom?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Measured how, and 'known' by whom?

I'm with Meerkat on this because I can categorically state that I do NOT burn double the amount of calories doing weighttraining as I do when I do running.

Example - one hour of weightlifting, for me, burns approx 300 calories
    whereas, for me, one hour of running burns 700 calories - therefore, for me, running burns over TWICE as many calories as weighttraining does.

The second point I would like to make is this, I run races - 5k and over, for me to build muscle would not do my running any good in the long run - unless I were sprinting that is, but as I am not sprinting, lots of cardio, for me, is fine.

To those that wish to cut out all their cardio, good luck, however, please do NOT try to tell others that cardio is next to useless, because it is far from useless.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    Personally I find 10 minutes on a x trainer good for the warm up, then do my weights. After I do some cardio on the treadmill or wait until I get home then go for a good run, but thats just me. I am also known for getting things back to front :ohwell:
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I don't think, you burn more calories while you do weightlifting, but the afterburn is suppose to be huge with weightlififting. You burn more calories afterwards all day even when you are resting. Your muscle has to recover. And while you build up muscle, you will need more energy through out the day. With cardio you will never build up these calorie eating fatburning muscles.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I don't think, you burn more calories while you do weightlifting, but the afterburn is suppose to be huge with weightlififting. You burn more calories afterwards all day even when you are resting. Your muscle has to recover. And while you build up muscle, you will need more energy through out the day. With cardio you will never build up these calorie eating fatburning muscles.

You do indeed continue burning the calories afterwards, who told you you did not, probably the weightlifting lot who hate cardio......

You continue burning for hours afterwards as cardio speeds up your metabolism for hours afterwards the same as weights.

People really need to do their homework regarding cardio, it is not the enemy, there is far too much claptrap and rubbish spouted on these forums lately and it is mostly started by lazy arses that are trying to justify why they are doing no cardio at all.

This is NOT aimed at Biggipooh xxx
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    People really need to do their homework regarding cardio, it is not the enemy, there is far too much claptrap and rubbish spouted on these forums lately and it is mostly started by lazy arses that are trying to justify why they are doing no cardio at all.

RIght... Squatted a 140 pounds today, did some heavy lat pulls, bicep curls, front raises and tri cep extensions, lunges and step ups.. and I only do cardio once or twice a week if that.. God I am such a lazy *kitten*.

Some people really don't like cardio.. and thats ok. Not everyone has to be the energizer bunny running for days on end... You can do other things and still get the same level of fitness.
  • Di3012
    Options

RIght... Squatted a 140 pounds today, did some heavy lat pulls, bicep curls, front raises and tri cep extensions, lunges and step ups.. and I only do cardio once or twice a week if that.. God I am such a lazy *kitten*.

Some people really don't like cardio.. and thats ok. Not everyone has to be the energizer bunny running for days on end... You can do other things and still get the same level of fitness.

You DO do cardio so why are you being so defensive??? I am talking about those that go on and on and on re weights but do NO cardio. I couldn't give a rat's *kitten* what pullups anybody does or what they lift, I do, however, care that some people consider cardio and people that do it as losers, because we are not.

Define fitness.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

You DO do cardio so why are you being so defensive??? I am talking about those that go on and on and on re weights but do NO cardio. I couldn't give a rat's *kitten* what pullups anybody does or what they lift, I do, however, care that some people consider cardio and people that do it as losers, because we are not.

Define fitness.

I'm getting defensive because you are calling people who do no cardio lazy *kitten*... and lifting weights is not for lazy people. Which is why I posted what I did... to show that people who don't do cardio and only do weights are not lazy. I'm one of those beginning to despise cardio... and seriously may just only be lifting for a while.

FItness to me is being able to lift things(like bags from the grocery store and only have to take one trip instead of 2-3), being able to walk without getting winded or needing a break, and just a general sense of feeling better/looking better.

If anything I find that when I do my cardio runs, the weightlifting helps a lot. I have better endurance now, then I did before I started lifting weights regularly.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    No hard feelings. I actually love cardio. I mix up running, inline skating and bikeriding. And to get the most burn (and afterburn) out of it, I do high intensity interval training, which is according to the newest studies proven to give you a bigger afterburn.

What I meant with weightlifting: The muscles grow and grow..... the bigger they get, the more energy your body burns throughout the day and you can shape your body. So to have lots of muscles it is a really good thing. Especially as we grow older and metabolism slows down.

Do both and you can never go wrong.....:laugh: (sorry for the grammar, english is not my native language :blushing: )
  • Di3012
    Options

Define fitness.

I'm getting defensive because you are calling people who do no cardio lazy *kitten*... and lifting weights is not for lazy people. Which is why I posted what I did... to show that people who don't do cardio and only do weights are not lazy. I'm one of those beginning to despise cardio... and seriously may just only be lifting for a while.

FItness to me is being able to lift things(like bags from the grocery store and only have to take one trip instead of 2-3), being able to walk without getting winded or needing a break, and just a general sense of feeling better/looking better.

If anything I find that when I do my cardio runs, the weightlifting helps a lot. I have better endurance now, then I did before I started lifting weights regularly.

No, I am not calling people who do no cardio lazyarses, I am calling people lazyarses who never do any cardio, only do weights who go on and on about cardio being bad for people lol.

My husband does weights a lot, he does no cardio, but he does not go on and on about how cardio is bad for a person, he actually considers it a brilliant form of exercise, he just chooses not to do any.

If anybody does not like cardio, there is no problem on my side whatsoever, providing they do not continuously spout how bad it is for anybody that does it. You are not saying it is bad for anyone and I do not consider you lazy. Sorry for any misunderstandings xxx
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

No, I am not calling people who do no cardio lazyarses, I am calling people lazyarses who never do any cardio, only do weights who go on and on about cardio being bad for people lol.

My husband does weights a lot, he does no cardio, but he does not go on and on about how cardio is bad for a person, he actually considers it a brilliant form of exercise, he just chooses not to do any.

If anybody does not like cardio, there is no problem on my side whatsoever, providing they do not continuously spout how bad it is for anybody that does it. You are not saying it is bad for anyone and I do not consider you lazy. Sorry for any misunderstandings xxx

I think people only consider cardio bad when that's all a person does. When your workout routine is similar to that of a hamster on a wheel then it really isn't that good. I used to do only cardio and I was probably stuck running a 5k at maybe 35 minutes for around a year. I stopped running and just started lifting only. Mostly compound lifts and adding other lifts into my routine. Recently I timed my last 5k and finished in a little under 28min and I wasn't running too hard either. I'm also doing crossfit too so there is a cardio component, just to be fair.

There's still no need for you to consider anyone lazy just for their opinion. That actually makes no sense. Personally, I think doing steady state cardio as your only workout is a bit more lazy than lifting, if anything. It's not hard to jog or bike 45min every day and some people do just that. I see some people in the gym every single time on the elliptical sweating but they look the same for months.