Best workouts for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• jelias1
    jelias1 Posts: 97
    Options
    The workouts you that will help you the most are the ones that you enjoy to do and will do them often. I have seen this phrase many times on this message board and this is true to a point but working out at first is niether fun nor something that we want to do.

My suggestion to you is cardio, cardio, cardio, walking, elliptical, stair climbers, swimming etc. When your cardiovascular system becomes fit everything else becomes easier. The intensity at first should not be too much it should increment weekly.

You could try couch to 5k as a good reference.

Also the maximum weight loss per week without medical supervision should be 2 pounds. So 8 pounds in 5 weeks that is awesome work.
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think you've got it figured out. Just remember that as it gets easier you will need to increase intensity or weight.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Workouts burn calories in different ways for different ppl. 8lb in 5 weeks is great. I think you should stick wth what your doing!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    This will be vague but the best workout is the one you enjoy doing and can do often without it feeling monotonous to you. Keep moving in a manner that is sustainable for the long term and realize the process is a journey towards life long good habits.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I have been at this for about 5 weeks. I go to the gym 5 days a week and usually do 20 minutes of fat burn on the elliptical, then some weights or circut exercises with the weighted balls or weights, I do Zumba one night a week and play softball 2 nights a week. I have lost around 8 pounds. I feel like I am losing so SLOW. I can see some small differences, but I just want to make sure I am doing things right to get the maximum benefit, and to look my best when I finally get to my goal (toned). I am currently 5'1 and 197. Any suggestions on some exercises that are more successful for weight loss? 30 day shred good for burning serious calories? P90x? Insanity? I just want to keep things changed up and don't want my body to become complacent and come to a stand still. :/ Help please!

First, congrats on your 8 pound loss!!! I am sitting at an 8 pound loss as well, but it took me about 8 weeks! So you are doing good. The BEST way to lose the weight and keep it off is to do it slowly. I go to the Gym 6 days a week for an hour of cardio and do light strength training 2 times a week. You don't want to lift too much because you may build muscle over the fat. Also, I got really discouraged when the scale stopped moving. Really keep an eye on those inches. I was down about losing nothing 2 weeks in a row. Did my measurements and had lost 4 inches in the waist, 2 1/2 inches in my thighs & 1 inch in my hips! Keep it up. Sounds like the exercise plan you have is great and working. I would keep it and maybe check out your eating habits.

I have a blog from a Nutrition Seminar I went to recently during this Biggest Weight Loss Challenge I am participating in right now hosted by a Registered Dietician. You may find some of it helpful! I learned a lot.

Also, 30 Day Shred for someone weighing 135 pounds on Level 1 will only burn around 180+ cals. I don't know about everyone but there are Zumba Cal Burn Calculators out there. Try livestrong.com. Zumba is GREAT for cal burn!

Keep it up!
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Best " Burn " workouts come from cardio ... biking, swimming, running, dancing and high intense cardio programs ... ie, Shaun T and others.

But ... Strength training is also imperative if wanting to define your muscles as your losing. A nice healthy balance is key.

I burned 700+ calories today just doing Shaun T for 68 min. My biking burns 1000+ cals doing 21 miles.

Try to mix it up and challenge yourself ... if not using an HRM ... I would suggest getting one for true burn numbers.

Hope this helps ! :)

Thanks for this advice! :) I'm gonna check out Shaun T :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Definitely try running - see if you like it and if you do, it's a good burn, plus you can just put your shoes on and head out. If I warm up for 5 minutes, run 5K and cool down for 5 minutes, that's around 300 calories gone (disclaimer: depends on weight etc). i should mix it up and do all sorts of different things...but I just like running.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    You mentioned Zumba. Can you do this without a game system? I thought it looked interesting. I mostly use eliptical and bike ride, looking it mix it up.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your honest input. I love getting real, honest answers and advice, and not some cocky smart mouth who thinks they know it all with vague answers that don't really answer my questions :) Determination is the real key here I guess, and that I have!!! For now!!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Burning enough calories from aerobic exercise that will put you in you in a good sized calorie deficit (250-500kcal) but won't stimulate appetite (simply doing the right amount of cardio) - It's really trial and error but for me this is around 45 minutes/day
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    You mentioned Zumba. Can you do this without a game system? I thought it looked interesting. I mostly use eliptical and bike ride, looking it mix it up.

Sure! They have Zumba videos that you can purchase online/in stores. :) They are GREAT! Check Amazon.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    You're doing GREAT!! And short girls are awesome - I'm 5'1" too.

Yay Short Girls! I am 4'10" ! And I call myself Fun-Sized!
  • daphnegetnfit
    daphnegetnfit Posts: 175
    Options
    Oh no not the cardio vs weights AGAIN. The best workout for anything is the one you enjoy the most hate to sound corny but it is true. Myself running has seemed to work the best for me I look forward to my run every single day its one hour or so its just myself and the pavement and or few trails. Of course theres the pedestrian and ducks and cyclists here and there but you get my meaning. And just stay as active as you can and eat right. You will loose it quicker than you gained it you say 8lbs in 5 weeks thats good it is quicker than you gained im sure. I know I need to and want the results from weights I just have not got to that point yet.

Good Luck

I'm probably splitting hairs, but feel like I have to considering the question.

Technically speaking, this is rarely the case (that the thing people love to do is also the best for burning cals). Why? Because for most people, the things they love to do they are better at, thus it takes less work to do them, thus they burn fewer cals. Try doing something you're not conditioned to do... it's usually going to be A LOT harder, and you're usually going to burn A LOT more cals.

While I get the point you are making (that if you love to do it you'll be more likely to do it, especially in the long run), things people love to do rarely burn more cals than things they aren't as good at.

I love Zumba and I burn plenty of calories doing it - love it, work at it harder cause I enjoy it = burn plenty of calories
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    You've done very well so far :) I'd recommend weight training. Weight training burns twice the amount of calories that cardio does in the same amount of time. But you have done amazingly well so far.
  • raysgirl423
    Options
    I think eight pounds in five weeks is great - don't be discouraged.

The best workout is one you enjoy. Seriously. One that will get you to the gym in the rain, or when you have a headache, or when you're a little tired. You get my point.

Cardio will help burn calories. Weights will help the final product look sleeker and tighter.

Keep up the good work.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as belgerian - we said basically the same thing :)

Weights also help you to burn more calories longer...after the workout...I personally think they are a pain in the -you-know-what- but I know that they are good for me. :) I have been losing weight, at a pretty good pace, my thing is that I always try to switch it up....

one week I did the elliptical for 30mins each day (5 days) then week two I did the bike for 30mins.....then bike for 25m elliptical for 10. or 15m/15m...elliptical for 30m then weights for 30 (is actually not that long....because you get breaks inbetween reps unlike running or biking...you gonna go strait through...lol)

You sound like you are off to a GREAT start!! Do not get discouraged if it takes time!! :) by the way----the picture thing totally works!!! lol I took pictures of myself....and again probably about 2 months later or so....holy crap!! I felt like I looked the same, but I could already see the difference!!! and now I am waiting til I finish my "12 week challenge" to take more pictures! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    Burning enough calories from aerobic exercise that will put you in you in a good sized calorie deficit (250-500kcal) but won't stimulate appetite (simply doing the right amount of cardio) - It's really trial and error but for me this is around 45 minutes/day

:) Thanks!! I usually burn about 260 in the mornings at the gym. I just don't want to be flabby and BLAH! I am sure it will take me some time to figure out a nice balance! I just know how I used to look, and how I look now after a baby and 80 pounds of weight gain. I will never look like my 115 lb old self due to stretch marks etc. It's disheartening kind of, but I know I will feel so much better when I get the weight off. I probably won't care about how I "Used to look" when I was thin the first time. :) I will be proud of myself I'm sure.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    I think eight pounds in five weeks is great - don't be discouraged.

The best workout is one you enjoy. Seriously. One that will get you to the gym in the rain, or when you have a headache, or when you're a little tired. You get my point.

Cardio will help burn calories. Weights will help the final product look sleeker and tighter.

Keep up the good work.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as belgerian - we said basically the same thing :)

Weights also help you to burn more calories longer...after the workout...I personally think they are a pain in the -you-know-what- but I know that they are good for me. :) I have been losing weight, at a pretty good pace, my thing is that I always try to switch it up....

one week I did the elliptical for 30mins each day (5 days) then week two I did the bike for 30mins.....then bike for 25m elliptical for 10. or 15m/15m...elliptical for 30m then weights for 30 (is actually not that long....because you get breaks inbetween reps unlike running or biking...you gonna go strait through...lol)

You sound like you are off to a GREAT start!! Do not get discouraged if it takes time!! :) by the way----the picture thing totally works!!! lol I took pictures of myself....and again probably about 2 months later or so....holy crap!! I felt like I looked the same, but I could already see the difference!!! and now I am waiting til I finish my "12 week challenge" to take more pictures! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

This made me giggle! LOVE the pic idea!! I will have to do this and make sure I hide them somewhere!! hahaha
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    Oh no not the cardio vs weights AGAIN. The best workout for anything is the one you enjoy the most hate to sound corny but it is true. Myself running has seemed to work the best for me I look forward to my run every single day its one hour or so its just myself and the pavement and or few trails. Of course theres the pedestrian and ducks and cyclists here and there but you get my meaning. And just stay as active as you can and eat right. You will loose it quicker than you gained it you say 8lbs in 5 weeks thats good it is quicker than you gained im sure. I know I need to and want the results from weights I just have not got to that point yet.

Good Luck

I'm probably splitting hairs, but feel like I have to considering the question.

Technically speaking, this is rarely the case (that the thing people love to do is also the best for burning cals). Why? Because for most people, the things they love to do they are better at, thus it takes less work to do them, thus they burn fewer cals. Try doing something you're not conditioned to do... it's usually going to be A LOT harder, and you're usually going to burn A LOT more cals.

While I get the point you are making (that if you love to do it you'll be more likely to do it, especially in the long run), things people love to do rarely burn more cals than things they aren't as good at.

I love Zumba and I burn plenty of calories doing it - love it, work at it harder cause I enjoy it = burn plenty of calories

This :)<3
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've heard squats with a decent amt. of weight not only burn calories while you're doing the exercise, but also burn the most after you STOP doing it... the gift that keeps on giving =) or taking if you will.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Anyone mention diet yet? It's alot easier to eat smarter to achieve a 500 calorie deficit than having to do cardio for 30-40 min.