Any Suggestions You Would Like To Share With A Newby?

Options
Hi Everyone!
Well a long story short I have been battling my weight my entire life and have always been considered obese and the "fat friend." and I'm SOOOO Over it! I am 269lbs, I was 277 at my heaviest and I'm 5'8. I'm more than ready for a change, and I'm fed up with not living up to my potential physically. For the last few weeks I have been eating my recommended calorie intake from MFP, most of my calories coming from proteins such as chicken and fish. I have been preparing all of my meals and snacks a day in advance so I'm not tempted to order out at work.I have cut down drastically on carbs and make sure my sugar and sodium intake is also low I rarely eat anything processed and my carbs are whole wheat when I do have them. I have been working out 3 days a week mostly cardio but I have heard strength training is where its at but I'm kind of clueless once I get into the gym. I usually just do the treadmill or elliptical for 45-60mins.I haven't lost anything this week and I feel like I'm doing everything I personally know of and I'm getting a little discouraged. Does anyone have and suggestions or advice for me? Or maybe some tips you've learned along the way? Thanks in advance for any info you'd like to pass along!

This site has been very inspirational for me and I hope to be posting some good before & after pics eventually!

Here is a pic so you get an idea of where I'm starting from...this was my heaviest about 277 Im about 8lbs less than this now

22.jpg

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    SInce I joined, I learned lot from those honest and sincere people who know what they are talking about. Also I have encountered not so nice ones who might know something about fitness but their ego and closed mind made them sound like idiots. Make sure you avoid the latter group but keep learning from the first bunch. Good luck!

And no matter what people tell you, keep in mind that there's no one size fit all. It might or might not work for you as well as people tell you. :)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    hi, in the gym focus on compound exercises ie shoulder press, squat, rows, etc. they involve multiple muscle groups and burn the most calories. good luck!
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to not eat too few calories.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself from the beginning!!! I so wish I had done that!!:flowerforyou:
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    At first concentrate more on pant size than pounds lost. Sometimes your body takes a few weeks to figure out you're trying to lose weight. I lost 2 pants sizes in 1 month, but didn't lose any pounds for almost 2.

Also, Albayin is correct. There are some people on here who are very egotistical. Avoid these people. They have all the answers to everything. We are all different. Our bodies are different.

Good luck. I am certain you'll succeed.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Take measurements...don't rely on the scale alone. And don't weigh yourself daily...once a week will do.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't ever worry about not losing weight in a given week! There are so many reasons your weight can fluctuate day-to-day, or within a day, and the fluctuations are typically at least as large as any reasonable, sustainable one-week weight loss. If you don't lose several weeks in a row, then you should re-evaluate what you're doing, but it sounds like you're off to a great start!

Concerning weights, I had no clue about all that myself and paid for a few personal trainer sessions. We did a lot of things, but the main thing I got out of it was a sense of what did and did not "work" for me in the gym, as well as some notion of how to go about such training.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't start another post complaining about the misuse of the words "lose" and "loose".

And.. eat back 80% of your exercise calories.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck for a couple of weeks now not having anything show up on the scale. I have been at this since March and have only lost 7 pounds. I started the jillian michaels 30 day shred on 05/01/12 and have already lost 1 each in both of my arms, 1 inch in both of my thighs, 1 1/2 inches in my waist and 1 inch in my hips. I am slowly learning that you cannot put all of your stock in the scale as you are possibly losing inches. Do not get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Realize that many small changes will have a big effect.
    Nothing is instant.
    You'll lose weight faster at first.
    Don't dive into a really restricted diet and an insane workout regimen at the same time, let your body adjust.
    Stick to it and realize that you're doing this for you.
    Believe in yourself and allow time to see the change in your body.
    It takes a long time to change and believe our projected self image.
    Don't get sucked into fads/gimmicks. Hard work, diet, exercise is a lifestyle change.. not a package you can buy for $X.xx per month.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    oh, and you do NOT look like 277 lbs. You carry it well.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Take measurements...don't rely on the scale alone. And don't weigh yourself daily...once a week will do.

^^^^ THIS!! Definitly take measurements! I have only lost 6 pounds on 3 months but i've lost 12.5 inches!!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Take before pictures before you lose too much more weight. Take measurements too. When you hit a palteau and think it is hopeless the progress you can see in the pictures gives you inspiration. It is also fun to show off to friends, family and even on MFP and get all the accolades for your efforts. The measurements are particularly helpful for the plateaus too. Often you will lose inches but not pounds as a result of changing body composition (less fat, more muscle). Welcome to MFP. Good Luck on your journey.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm also a newbie. I discovered MFP just a few weeks ago and am loving it. I have been working out for the past 2 months. Like you just finally reached a breaking point and was fed up with being the fat friend etc etc. My best advice to you would be to check out Curves. That's where I've been going. Their circuit is all about combining strength training and cardio. I feel awesome and have been doing it about 3 months. I'm stronger, more toned and have lost 17 pounds. I know you're probably thinking what I was at first "it's an old ladies gym" lol but it's not. It's actually awesome. And it's ladies only so that can be a perk too. It's a nice place to go for an hour or so a day and see other women who are also putting themselves first and focusing on their health.
    Best of luck to you :)

PS I think you look fabulous in the picture you posted.
  • teresatt11
    teresatt11 Posts: 11
    Options
    hi Sarah.. like you i have yo yo dieted for years and this site has really helped me track my intake as well. I am heavier than you are now and in the last year have lost 137lbs.. for me.. its just slow as I go and never feeling like I am starving. cardio is my best friend.. Wii Just Dance and Biggest Loser Wii.. is what I use.. you can burn alot of calories in a short time.. but i truly believe its different for every person depending on genetics, medical issues and just what your body can take. I can help with one thing.. on Weight Watcher's site they have some free recipes and they are great.. work good!

When I need something sweet.. the Jello sugar-free jello cups with sugar free cool whip really hit the spot and are only 10 calories each.. good luck!
  • kmpawley
    kmpawley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sarah, I am so glad you thought of this question! I am new around here and like most of us I have lost and gained on different diets. I really want to take the weight off for good this time. Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Take pictures AND measurements a long the way.

It takes time for your mind to catch up to what you REALLY look like to others.

Eat properly, eat enough protein (MFP is set notoriously low)

IT TAKES TIME!

I started at 242lbs and I can't believe how far I've come, you can do this too!
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Use this site and the reccomended calorie intake per day. Don't go over. And work up a sweat once a day. Welcome aboard!
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First of all you carry your weight well. My suggestion is make sure you log everything and do some kind of exercise everyday even if its just walking. Make sure you measure yourself because you could be losing inches and not weight. I try to mix up the exercises and I just got the Zumba 2 for Wii which is suppose to be a great workout. Just found this website thats has Zumba for free. You just have to watch the instructors because they speak English and Chinese. Another thing get a good support system. Feel free to add me to your friendsl

Here's the website: . ZUMBA http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTA1NDI2MzEy.html