How should I prepare for p90x?

Options
I'm starting on June 1st. I have the program ready and am prepared to shop from the first two tiers only during my next big shopping trip.

For now, my diet is not exactly clean, especially since I won't get to eat a lot of stuff I like for a while so I guess I'm just getting it in while I still can :p

Most importantly, What workouts should I be doing to prepare? I don't want to just be jumping into it from nothing, and although I do workout often, I took two days off and then did Crossfit WOD yesterday and I was utterly exhausted. It worried me because a lot of p90x videos are similar, high intensity, and even longer!

Anyway, I'm just curious. Any tips would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Ive completed P90x and didnt prepare at all. For the first 2 or 3 weeks dont be discouraged if you cannot complete the entire workout. Just keep putting them on and doing them in the schedule that they have set up. If you want to try it out attempt the lean program which is more cardio than strength training. Once you get somewhat into it you wil realize you can do almost all of it.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Tony Horton himself says if you don't think you're ready, try Slim in 6 first.

We just jumped in headfirst and hit our heads after about a week.

Be ready to laugh, that guy is SO CHEEZY and a CREEPER! LOL
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`d start off with P90...Or is that just me being a *****..:bigsmile:
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am in my first recovery week. I had absolutely no previous workout experience. I wouldn't worry about jumping into it. At least you have something under your belt. You will do great. Work hard and don't worry if you don't get all the reps or what not the first time around. Just do your best.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would drink water and stay off the caffine drinks, once you get into the routine, you should do fine
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^....and forget the rest.

More Cheesy Horton lines please.

"Ab Ripper-X I hate it but I love it!!"
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I am in my first recovery week. I had absolutely no previous workout experience. I wouldn't worry about jumping into it. At least you have something under your belt. You will do great. Work hard and don't worry if you don't get all the reps or what not the first time around. Just do your best.

Exactly! Just do your best and you will get better. It doesnt hurt to try. Just think positive and you can complete it.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I second this. I jumped right into it, I just got done with my first week. I really don't think there's much you can do to prepare for p90x. I mean I'm out of shape, but I know guys on my uni's football team who did p90x and were exhausted after it. the workout is going to help you keep training, no matter what your shape is. however, I REALLY recommend doing the beginner thing where it has you "see if you're ready for p90x".

also, DON'T be afraid to take breaks!! it took me two hours to get through plyometrics! and I hurt for four days after. get lots of water, have a lot of protein in your diet, and don't be afraid to go slow. :)
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 now. The nutrition is tough for me as I wasn't about to throw out food just to eat clean, so I'm doing the best i can in that phase. The workouts aren't easy and based on your strengthens and weaknesses some will be tougher then others. With that said yo always have the option of a modification or just hitting pause when you need to. Just go in positive an you'll do fine.Do the best you can each day and you'll surprise yourself in a week or two. It may sound corny but like Tony says "do your best and forget the rest." I'm sure you'll be fine, best of luck.

PS if you haven't done a lot of weight lifting before the bands may be easier especially when it comes to pull ups.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Since you can just turn off the DVD, I wouldn't worry about it. Just workout until you can't anymore. That's what I did at first.
  • BYana
    BYana Posts: 7
    Options
    I did 30 days shared by jillian Michaels. It was really helpful, but honestly just go for it. When you less prepared you burn more.
    When i was working out with Jillian it helped me to loose some weight as well and get into working out mood too. It is all up to you! I know you can do it!!!