No longer having ANY enthusiasm for this

Options
I've been watching my diet and exercising in spurts over the past year or so, and overall have had some success. I pretty much stopped logging or tracking anything over the winter, but actually didn't gain much back (suprisingly). Hubby and I started back exercising etc a couple of months ago, and I did OK for a few weeks but I find that I'm just not as into it all like I was last fall.

I used to like the challenge of trying to eat as much as possible within my calorie goals (lots of veggies, grilled chicken, fruit, etc which would fill me up without a lot of extra calories). Now, I could care less. Time-consuming and tedious.

I know I'm eating better overall than I was 18 months ago, but I won't lose any weight if I don't exercise. Can't drum up the motivation to do that either. By the time I get home from work, it's dinner time and then get the kids to bed and by then it's 9pm. I don't sleep good if I exercise that close to bedtime. I'm trying to get myself to get up early in the morning and do my workouts then (home gym), but I am soooooo not a morning person.

I like how I look and feel when I'm "in the groove" with diet/exercise, but that usually takes a week or two to get there for me. I need motivation to get through that first 2 weeks. HELP!!

Replies

• cfh4030
    cfh4030 Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't give up!! It does sound like your time is too filled up to add exercising, so just try to stay focused on eating within your daily limit. You've already lost 15 lbs (yay), so you know you can do it. If it just becomes part of your routine to measure food/count calories, maybe it won't seem like such a burden? Easy for me to say, but I'd hate to see someone give up......I wish there was a way that eating right was one of those things we had to do, just like school and work.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I count exercise as me time. When my fiancé texted me to tell me that the dog had destroyed something, I told him that it was going to be an hour before I cared and then turned my phone off. Couch it as that-- or dad and kids time, or something else. Maybe you and your husband could alternate so that one of you can work out during the normal bedtime routine?
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... Just hang in there. If there is one suggestion I could make it would be to start logging your food again. MFP is the only way I feel accountable. Yeah, I still go over the caloric intake but at least I know how unhealthy/healthy I ate. :) Stay w/ it.

Maybe you could find away to incorporate exercise into your later afternoon/early evening routine w/ your children. Perhaps you could walk the dog together or do yard work together (make it fun, turn it into a game), find a green-way or park or have a scavenger hunt.. maybe that would help.

Stick with it... we are all in this together.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise AND watch what I eat in order to be successful, too. Can you squeeze in a walk during your lunch break at work? Even just 10 or 15 minutes might help you feel more motivated. I know it's hard, but if it makes you feel better, it's worth making the time to do something for yourself.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel! I've found that the ONLY way for me to fit exercise in (husband and 2 kids 6 and 3), is before the kids get up in the AM or after work at home while the kids are playing before bed. I just make myself do it. Do I want to? Hell no! But I know if I don't, I'm sunk. I can't always be 100% great on my eating (heck...I'd settle for 90% great), but as long as I keep exercising, I don't feel as bad about it!

I'm trying to get back on the bandwagon...it's just really tough! Keep at it! You can do it! Feel free to friend me and maybe we can get each other over this hump!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Maybe your whole family could go on a walk together... it's something at least. I remember when I was a kid and my mom was doing weight watchers and once the whole family went for a walk after dinner.. it was a very nice memory for me.

I don't know if it's feasible with kids, but when I worked full time, I would drive to the gym right after work. If I waited then I would never go. You could eat something small at work (piece of fruit or something) so you're not starving when you go if that helps.

Logging helps me stay focused. I'm a numbers person so it really helps to see that kind of thing.
  • SandyOdell
    SandyOdell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about exercise. I know I need to do it, but I just won't do it without someone there with me. I've lost 11 pounds just counting calories. I love the way my clothes are fitting and that alone motivates me to keep going.
    Hang in there! Don't give up and gain the weight you've lost. Give yourself a break and don't beat yourself up about it. When you're ready, get back into that routine! You can do it!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not to sound harsh but, the reality is, if it's something you want bad enough you'll find a way to do it w/o excuses. Now, with that said; I've been there and done that too so I'm certainly not being judgmental. I use to work rotating 12 hour shifts 6 days a week; always tired, never enough time, and on and on. You just have to want it and go after it. It doesn't mean it makes it easy, it just means that even if you aren't a morning person; you get up and do it anyway. After a couple of weeks it will become habit and make it easier and I think you'll end up finding that you like the quiet and solitude of the morning hours. Not only do you get your exercise in but it gives you alone time to start your day w/o chaos and that was a huge help for me. I was so use to just jumping out of bed, rush to work, and then straight into madness. I eventually found, even though 5 a.m. sucked at first, I got to where I enjoyed being able to just walk in the cool, quiet of the morning and start my day w/o madness. And you don't have to start out doing it every single morning either. Ease into it; a day or two a week then 3 days a week, then 5.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! EvilPink, you are absolutely correct--I've got to stop making excuses and JUST DO IT!! And don't worry about being harsh--I think I need someone to tell me (in no uncertain terms) to get off my butt and get busy!

I just finished reading a long thread on one of the other forums about why people exercise, and it made me realize that weight loss is not the be-all-end-all reason for working out. I need to figure out what would motivate ME and go with it.

If I tell my husband that I plan to get up at 5:30am and work out, he'll laugh his *kitten* off at me--which I think is what I need!! Prove him wrong!
  • Absam2
    Absam2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lunch time is the best time for you (me) - that is if you dont mind getting a bit sweaty. At times, when I'm at home I do the stairs with the kids and I think they enjoy that alot.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your motivation is something to do with teaching your kids to be healthy by example. I don't have kids, but when I started this journey with my best friend, she told me how excited her son was about exericising (he just turned 5). I have to admit, I love the stories and pictures I hear and see of him "working out" with Mommy!

Also, as much as I hate to admit this, I have fallen off the exercise wagon myself...today is my day off, and I'm going to use it to get back on track...just as soon as I finish reading the forums while chain-smoking and chugging coffee. Ugh.

Let's do this!
  • Wildgirl10
    Wildgirl10 Posts: 43
    Options
    I could have written your post!!! I am going to read these posts to try and muster the motivation too! I was working out 4-5 times a week and now I just can't find the time to get back at it. I was promoted at work and have new responsabilities and have three boys two over them are under 3!

I am trying to make good food choices but really want to get back at the exercise part! I miss the way I felt and how my clothes were beginnning to feel. I want to lose 40lbs by the end of the year but I don't think it's going to happen unless I make some serious adjustments!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was feeling that way a few weeks ago but have found my groove again. What did it was forcing myself to try some different exercises - specifically weights and other strength training. It helped me to see results from toning, which motivated me again. Try doing something different, or setting yourself a new goal (like running a 10k or being able to do 100 push ups).
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also agre with EVilPINK but let's try and shift the thinking a little bit (actually a lot). You're writng that you "no longer have any enthusiasm for this." Expressing the situation in those terms says a lot about whether you've decided to change your life as opposed to "dieting and exercising." (To me, anyway) Your words indicate that you view dieting and exercise as termporary activiteis to acheive a goal. That always lets us down.

Permanent success depends on leaving the bad habits behind forever. We'll ebb and flow but if your new lifestyle is healthy, (i.e., whole foods, nothing or very little processed, etc.) you don't need sustained enthusiasm because it's your lifestyle - it's now who you are. So yes sometimes we'll eat a little more than we should. But, if you develop and engrain the new habits into being your new life, the "enthusiasm" sustains itself.

It takes time but it works. I've lived by "if man makes it, don't eat it" for so long that when we have a birthday/retirement ,etc. function at work, they get a nice little fruit plate for me because I don't eat cake. They're cool with it and often colleagues opt for the healthier choices instead. You come to realize that it's the company you're there for, not the food.

Here's another thing I like to remind myself - NOTHING tastes as good as low bodyfat feels. And the sensation in your mouth is fleeting while you can feel the fitnesst all day, everyday.