Plateau

Options
What does everyone do to get past their plateau? I seem to have hit one. I've been trying to work out more (I hate cardio so much!). It's just frustrating staying within the same 2-3 pound range and fluctuating up and down even though I feel am I eating healthy and being active!

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    No more boiled peanuts, too fattening.

Otherwise I don't know.

I've plateau'd for a long time, think I was under eating so now time will tell.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The boiled peanuts entry is totally funny. For something to be nutritionally possible to have 122 grams of fat it would have to have over 1000 calories, not 120, LOL On fat grams alone, forgoing any other macronutrient content it would have to be 1098 calories. It's a misprint probably supposed to be 12 grams of fat or somewhere around that.

Anyway, I've blown through plateaus by changing up the makeup of my workout routine like different types of cardio or different resistance exercises, Changing the time of day I workout, IE morning instead of afternoon, You could try upping your protein and lowering carbs. Some people lose weight more efficiently on lower carbs. I have to do this when I get towards the end of a cut, when my bodyfat is getting lower. Hope this helps.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I actually recently hit a plateau and broke through by raising my calories a bit. I did also increase my work outs too.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    try lifting heavy weights.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I change my diet (macros/cals) around when I hit a plateau. I never change my workout routine for plateaus because I feel that it has nothing to do with it but the kind of eating you do, does.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If your goal is right than you shouldn't ever truly plateau. I am guessing you just haven't waited long enough and have maybe had too much salt and an impending period for the last couple days.

Hang in there! It will drop!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    For me specifically, I got out of a three month plateau by upping my calories, lowering my carbs and eating more protein. I also started running and doing dance classes to vary my workouts instead of just going to the gym. I walk on breaks at work as well. I started this process April 1st and I was 221 pounds. As of today I am 204 pounds. Again, I was in a plateau for three months prior, just losing and gaining the same 5 pounds.

For me, the solution is Move more + Eat more( but watch your carbs!) = Weigh less!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    OP - you should figure out your TDEE and eat at a 15% deficit of it instead of whatever numbers MFP has you set at! All of you who have hit a plateau actually. I am eating 1900 calories a day, 13 lbs away from my 115 lb goal . When I first joined MFP I was losing weight because I was practically starving myself at 1200 calories! I hit a 5 week plateau, upped my calories and started losing again......Check out the group 'Eat more to Weigh Less' there is a GREAT link to an article about plateau. You will not be disappointed that you took my advice!!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Options
    If your goal is right than you shouldn't ever truly plateau. I am guessing you just haven't waited long enough and have maybe had too much salt and an impending period for the last couple days.

Rubbish!
  • leenna50
    leenna50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too have reached a plateau and lose 2lb and then gain back.
    I have cut out all carbs and starches. I only eat sweet potatoe as my carb,
    why am I not losing anymore
  • Mindmovesbody
    Options
    I too have reached a plateau and lose 2lb and then gain back.
    I have cut out all carbs and starches. I only eat sweet potatoe as my carb,
    why am I not losing anymore

I would be willing to bet you are not eating enough so your body is just storing what you do feed it. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less!
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    What about a one-day fast.

Or just nearly fast, with a lot of coffee, and some green only vegetables and 100-200 grams of lean meat.

Try that for a day or two and you'll be away !
  • temp666777
    Options
    "I got out of a three month plateau by upping my calories, lowering my carbs and eating more protein"

That's a great tip -- lower you carbs.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say. totally unrelated, but I'm a "csmith" too. :)
  • csmith091
    csmith091 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll have to try adjusting my diet, hopefully this will help! I guess I'm being impatient, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly. And CSmith, it's always nice to meet another one :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Rubbish!

Oh really? Explain to me how eating less calories than your body burns doesn't mean you will lose weight? Yeah the OP can eat more...IF SHE WORKS OUT MORE. So it is a net 0 effect....:huh:

You "eat more to lose more" nazis leave out that VERY important step. :noway:
  • leenna50
    Options
    totally agree with you
  • leenna50
    Options
    I am totally confused, if I eat more, i will weigh more surely

You are right that I don't eat all the 1,200 allocated . I usually leave 100 - 200 left in a day.

I am learning its not the food consumption during the day, but the evening. And I still keep healthy with no carbs or sugars.

I can't remember the last time I had a sliver of cake, biscuit or crisps. I have cut out bread completely.
    where am I going wrong?
  • temp666777
    Options
    Hi Leena,

HOW MANY carbs do you eat each day ... that is to say, exact/ly how many grams of carbs per day, is your goal?

Cheers