New Bike for My Birthday!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ...use the sidewalk, cars get really annoyed when you are in their space and always be aware of others because people in cars are so pre occupied with their cell phones and GPS and radios they tend to block us bikers out!

As preoccupied as they may be and even if you feel safer; in many areas it is against the law to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk and requires you to ride on the road and observe all the same signs/lights/traffic rules as a vehicle. Might want to check into your local laws before hitting the sidewalks. As trivial as it may seem; some places are really anal about this and, as many other bigger crimes as they may have to worry about, will still take the time to cite riding a bike illegally.

riding a bike on the sidewalk is the least safe place, I know the road may be intimidating at first but you're more likely to get hit by a vehicle on the side walk at intersections and pull outs/driveways.
  • beanerific518
    beanerific518 Posts: 152
    Options
    That is a wonderful present!! Biking is my all time favorite form of excercise. Things I have learned along the way: padded bike shorts are great for longer rides, a hydration backpack is great for longer rides in the heat, invest in a good helmet (it will keep your head cooler than a cheepie helmet), a bike odometer is fun and useful (keeps you motivated to best your last time/speed), and bring a snack along for longer rides. Have fun!!
  • me525
    me525 Posts: 155
    Options
    ...use the sidewalk, cars get really annoyed when you are in their space and always be aware of others because people in cars are so pre occupied with their cell phones and GPS and radios they tend to block us bikers out!

As preoccupied as they may be and even if you feel safer; in many areas it is against the law to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk and requires you to ride on the road and observe all the same signs/lights/traffic rules as a vehicle. Might want to check into your local laws before hitting the sidewalks. As trivial as it may seem; some places are really anal about this and, as many other bigger crimes as they may have to worry about, will still take the time to cite riding a bike illegally.

riding a bike on the sidewalk is the least safe place, I know the road may be intimidating at first but you're more likely to get hit by a vehicle on the side walk at intersections and pull outs/driveways.

I know that's right! My cousin lives in DC and is a marathon runner and I don't know how many times she's been damn near run over running on the sidewalk. I also figure after I knock some pounds off I'll take to the trails at the park:)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Walmart has them on sale:happy: I'm not ready for a hardcore "training" bike yet, maybe after I drop these 40lbs:wink:

BOOT TO HEAD

friends don't even let their enemies ride WalMart 'bikes'.

I'm with you, but a Wal-Mart bike is still a bike and still gets you moving. Besides once she gets the bug, and the chain/brakes start to go on Wally, she can upgrade. Ride on!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new bike! Having an exercise that you enjoy is really important if you want it be part of your lifestyle. I hate running too and have always quit after a while. I do love to ride! So often my short "around the block" rides end after many miles:smile:

Having a helmet is very important - I have "used" them a few times through the years.

As for riding on the sidewalk, you really do need to determine what is approriate for you area. I almost always ride on the road. Bikes are vehicles so should use the road - just remember to follow the rules of the road like travelling with traffic and stopping for lights. However some roads can be quite dangerous and the sidewalk or path may be a better choice.

One more thing - I noticed you said you would be riding in the early morning. I would suggest front and rear lights. I have these cute little ones that flash so drivers can see me. I do not know if Walmart would have these but a local bike store would.
  • me525
    Options
    Walmart has them on sale:happy: I'm not ready for a hardcore "training" bike yet, maybe after I drop these 40lbs:wink:

BOOT TO HEAD

I'm with you, but a Wal-Mart bike is still a bike and still gets you moving. Besides once she gets the bug, and the chain/brakes start to go on Wally, she can upgrade. Ride on!

I'm getting a Magna from Target, it's a mountain bike. What kind is that that you have?
  • me525
    Options
    Congrats on the new bike! Having an exercise that you enjoy is really important if you want it be part of your lifestyle. I hate running too and have always quit after a while. I do love to ride! So often my short "around the block" rides end after many miles:smile:

Having a helmet is very important - I have "used" them a few times through the years.

As for riding on the sidewalk, you really do need to determine what is approriate for you area. I almost always ride on the road. Bikes are vehicles so should use the road - just remember to follow the rules of the road like travelling with traffic and stopping for lights. However some roads can be quite dangerous and the sidewalk or path may be a better choice.

One more thing - I noticed you said you would be riding in the early morning. I would suggest front and rear lights. I have these cute little ones that flash so drivers can see me. I do not know if Walmart would have these but a local bike store would.

Hm, Didn't think about lights.... good thing there is a Triathelete store near by, I know they owners so I will get the best:)
  • karencogs
    karencogs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is Awesome..I like to have a purple bike..I always was on my bike.When I was a Kid..Look no hands..LOL:smile:
  • me525
    Options
    That is Awesome..I like to have a purple bike..I always was on my bike.When I was a Kid..Look no hands..LOL:smile:

My first bike was a pink huffy with a banana seat, then I had a purple ten speed. This one is blue and I love it! I'll put up a pic tomorrow, it just arrived and I've been riding it around, and quite frankly I'm to lazy to break out the camera, put pics on the computer, then upload to photobucket then upload here! I'm tired just typing all that:wink:
  • rides4sanity
    Options

BOOT TO HEAD

I'm getting a Magna from Target, it's a mountain bike. What kind is that that you have?

The one in the picture is a Trek Madone 5.2, but I rode a used bike i got for $100 for years before I dropped the cash on the carbon frame. You also have to understand that I ride a lot. Get started and if you like it join a group, and then if you still like it, get a bike specific to the type of riding you like. Enjoy! I also have an old Diamondback I got at ****'s that I use on the trails and for family fun rides!
  • rides4sanity
    Options

BOOT TO HEAD

The one in the picture is a Trek Madone 5.2, but I rode a used bike i got for $100 for years before I dropped the cash on the carbon frame. You also have to understand that I ride a lot. Get started and if you like it join a group, and then if you still like it, get a bike specific to the type of riding you like. Enjoy! I also have an old Diamondback I got at ****'s that I use on the trails and for family fun rides!

Haha just realized they **** out the sporting goods stores name. Short for Richard's
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!