So annoyed!

Options
I have exercised every day this week, ate within calorie range, well, with the exception of one day, I went 1000 over... anyway, I gained 4lbs!!! How is that possible?!?

I want to lose weight so bad, but it seems everytime something good happens on the scale, it goes away the next week. I am so tired of the emotional rollercoaster this journey causes. I have been struggling for 4+ years and as I get older, its not any easier.

Any tips??

Thanks!
Brittany

Replies

• ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    This might be a little personal but is it colse to that time of month.....i know for me anyway i always gain a couple of punds that week and then drop them when it is all over..............
    Just a thought!!!

do not give up whatever you do.........all things good come in time!!!
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have exercised every day this week, ate within calorie range, well, with the exception of one day, I went 1000 over... anyway, I gained 4lbs!!! How is that possible?!?

I want to lose weight so bad, but it seems everytime something good happens on the scale, it goes away the next week. I am so tired of the emotional rollercoaster this journey causes. I have been struggling for 4+ years and as I get older, its not any easier.

Any tips??

Thanks!
    Brittany

There are time when something like this happens due to the types of food we eat. When we go out to eat or don't watch "what" we eat, those extra calories are coming from food that is high is things we don't want. Such as sodium.
    It can force the body to retian water, hence what seems like a hugh weight gain in a short period of time. Like wise when we lose a lost quickly, it is usually a "water" loss that is responsible.
    Keep it up and youwill see results over an extended period of time.
    Weight does not gain over night (normally) and it doesn't come off over night. It is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How was your salt intake the day or 2 before you weighed in? Try weighing in again tomorrow if you had a lot of salt, which will retain water. How this helps.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    First off, you're just adorable! You're so pretty!

Second, make sure what you are eating is what you are actually eating, meaning, if you're not measuring or weighing your food, give that a try. I used to not do this, and, boy, did I learn that I had no concept of what a 1/2 cup of rice or 4 oz of meat looked like.

Drink plenty of water

If you don't use a HRM, and you can afford to get one, consider doing so. It give the most accurate read out on how many calories you're burning.

Besides that....just keep going! Everyone is different, and everyone needs to tweek how much they eat and how much they exercise to lose weight. Just don't get down....keep at it make SMALL tweeks here and there and it will come off. Have a great Friday!
  • bdaniyelle
    Options
    About a year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) & my period is ALL out of whack. I haven't had one in 7 months. Who knows.

Maybe the PCOS is messing with my weight.

Thanks!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medication? I dealt with the same issue for 2 years until I realized that the medication I was on was making me gain weight. I worked out and ate right and couldn't figure out why I would lose 2 lbs and gain 3 back in a week. Once I stopped taking the med, the weight finally started to come of.....and stay off.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Honey, 4 pounds is 14,000 calories. Think about it, is there any way you "accidentally" ate 14,000 calories too much - above and beyond your maintenance level? What's that - about a turkey, a whole #&$in' turkey, with stuffing. I don't think so.

4 pounds is also 1/2 gallon of water. So what happens when you add 1/2 gallon of water to the bathtub? Not much huh?,,, Can't even tell.

You're retaining a 1/2 gallon of fluid - you probably ate something salty or your cycle is doing something wierd. It'll be fine.

If you're riding the rolly-coaster there are a couple ways to beat that. You can either weigh in every day and ignore the dailies and just watch the long-term trend,,, or you can skip the dailies and only weigh in once a month so you only see the long term trend. Or you can skip the scale and just watch measurements and how you feel.

Just do your thing, watch your cals, get a little exercise, and relax and enjoy your life. Don't sweat the small stuff, - - - and it's all small stuff. :drinker:

<<My wife came home with a brilliant quote (thanks honey!) "It'll all be Okay in the end - so if it's not Okay, then it's not the end."">>
  • Jentx30
    Jentx30 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just read about PCOS a few weeks ago and yes, it can make you gain weight. It can also be difficult to lose weight with PCOS as well.

As for the 4 lbs, it is water weight like others said. You have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain 1lb.
  • kholmes
    kholmes Posts: 214
    Options
    bdaniyelle - Hang in there. I had a mild case of PCOS (gained about 20 pounds in a few months while exercising and watching calories). I ended up getting pregnant and only gaining 32 pounds and lost it all within 3 weeks of having my son. My PCOS is no longer in my system (according to test) and now the weight is slowly coming off, but it is a slow process. Don't give in and don't give up.

CasperO - I am stealing your quote. That is a great one.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>
    CasperO - I am stealing your quote. That is a great one.

Impossible to steal a quote - a candle doesn't get less bright by lighting another candle. :smile:

Fulghum is a Unitarian Universalist minister and a genius. He wrote "Everything I really needed to know I learned in kindergarten". Lives on a houseboat in Seattle, and I hope to as well - someday.

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge--
    <knowledge only knows what is, imagination can see what might be>

That myth is more potent than history.
    <History is knowledge of the past, myth is story and dream>

I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts--
    <Dreams are where our better angels speak to us>

That hope always triumphs over experience--
    <Always - but sometimes it takes a while>

That laughter is the only cure for grief.
    <Yep >

And I believe that love is stronger than death.'
    <My mother and father are dead, and I still love them. Love wins,,, :heart: >

Take it, enjoy it, write your own response or explanation for each line. And read more Fulghum, he's good for your heart.