Does this happen to anyone else?

Options
Whenever I work out I CONSTANTLY have to yawn. In an hour I will yawn 20 times. It happened in step class and my teacher asked if I was bored. I was SOOOO embarrassed! I am not tired, it just happens. What's up with that?

Replies

• Violet1980
    Options
    Whenever I work out I CONSTANTLY have to yawn. In an hour I will yawn 20 times. It happened in step class and my teacher asked if I was bored. I was SOOOO embarrassed! I am not tired, it just happens. What's up with that?
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yawning is your body's reaction to not getting enough oxygen so it may be you're not breathing properly when you exercise and therefore not getting enough oxygen.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Here's some info on yawning , did a search -

* The Physiological Theory -- Our bodies induce yawning to drawn in more oxygen or remove a build-up of carbon dioxide. This theory helps explain why we yawn in groups. Larger groups produce more carbon dioxide, which means our bodies would act to draw in more oxygen and get rid of the excess carbon dioxide. However, if our bodies make us yawn to drawn in needed oxygen, wouldn't we yawn during exercise? Robert Provine, a psychologist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, and a leading expert on yawning, has tested this theory. Giving people additional oxygen didn't decrease yawning and decreasing the amount of carbon dioxide in a subject's environment also didn't prevent yawning.
    * The Evolution Theory -- Some think that yawning is something that began with our ancestors, who used yawning to show their teeth and intimidate others. An offshoot of this theory is the idea that yawning developed from early man as a signal for us to change activities.
    * The Boredom Theory -- In the dictionary, yawning is said to be caused by boredom, fatigue or drowsiness. Although we do tend to yawn when bored or tired, this theory doesn't explain why Olympic athletes yawn right before they compete in their event. It's doubtful that they are bored with the world watching them.

Site: http://health.howstuffworks.com/question5721.htm
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Weird reason I yawn...When I feel uncomfortable. It's like, a subconcious thing I do whenever I feel uncomfortable with something. My husband noticed it and asked if I was bored or something. I think maybe I do it so I appear bored, like I've done it a million times and am SO not intimidated.

Maybe you want to appear SO awesome, you're not fazed by step class. :smile: Probably not, but that's probably what I would do. Just a theory.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I had a professor once who if he saw you yawning during his lectures would also say "Boredom comes from within, so stop boring yourself."

:laugh:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    MaryPoe, I do the same thing sometimes. It's like, if I am really uncomfortable or if there is an awkward silence, I find myself yawning just to do "something" to break the awkwardness. My brother does it a LOT when we're around people that he isn't real familiar with, which is funny because I was always known as the shy one and he is more outgoing, but I know that secret yawn code means he isn't as comfortable as people may think.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :noway:

just reading this is making me yawn,,lol

wierd